MX3 Rear Mount on a Probe - Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MX3 Rear Mount on a Probe - Done

Well, it was a lot quicker than I thought, only took a couple hours while I was doing my laundry. I even took pics throughout the process.

Before I get on to the pics I'd like to make a small disclaimer regarding this initial version. For this version I attempted to modify a probe crossmember to accept the rear mount mounting points for an mx3. It's a pretty straightforward and easy way to do it, but having some 1/4" steel stock laying around that you could cut to fit and drill holes for the rear mount may work better. Using part of the mx3 crossmember resulted in some lackluster welds and large gaps to cover. It's plenty strong the way it is, but when I do the next one I'll be trying the new method.

Cutout the area where the mx3 rear mount will come thru. You have to cut out pretty close to the holes where the xmember mounts to the frame.

MX3 and Probe xmember side by side

Mocked up a little

Pardon the exceptionally crappy welds, but it all sticks together. I had to use a couple pieces of square tubing to fill in some of the larger gaps. There's also a ton of welds on the topside not seen in the pics so it's a lot more sturdy than the pics may lead on.

Pic of the MX3Mount on the tranny on the top side of the xmember

And it even clears the lateral crossmember when you're done. Here it is all buttoned up.

Now we have to fill the motor mounts and Sean has to put on tranny #11 and we'll be out testing this theory. I would guess in about 2 weeks.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
    HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
    Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
    As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

why would an mx3 mount hold up better? I missed this theory somehow??? lol
    93 Probe GT
    Its not a PROBLEM. It's a PROBE LUM

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d..._5571185_n.jpg

Comment

Very very nice
      2g probe ze

Comment

looks good what kinda welder did you guys use kinda looks like a acr or a mig with flexcore
        http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2653387.png

Comment

Originally posted by phatgt4me View Post
          why would an mx3 mount hold up better? I missed this theory somehow??? lol

its all bout extra support. The rear mount is bolted near the firewall and this mx3 mount is on the xmember. Stock probe mount is in a spot that puts more stress on the trans... so it makes it easier to break things. This one is added to make more support and relieve some stress.

And with the kl trans being made of glass we need the extra support.

It doesn take much power to break all a kl trans. All thats needed is bad/warn mounts and some abuse and you just trashed a trans.
          Last edited by siknin; January 21, 2010, 08:31 PM. Reason: added info
          2g probe ze

Comment

oooo how'd i miss that. So now its got a front and rear mount on the x member. FTW. Run that setup with awr mounts...that engine wont be able to move a centimeter gj
            93 Probe GT
            Its not a PROBLEM. It's a PROBE LUM

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d..._5571185_n.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by lthomas2g View Post
              looks good what kinda welder did you guys use kinda looks like a acr or a mig with flexcore
              Miller sidekick, mig with gas. It's some of the worst welds I've done in awhile, but there were some really large gaps between the mx3 mount piece and the probe xmember.
              Last edited by hppwdn; January 21, 2010, 08:28 PM.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.

Comment

So did you pull the probe rear or leave it in place? IMO shouldnt it be removed?
                94 PGT -T, Used to be quick

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life

Comment

Originally posted by short4stuff View Post
                  So did you pull the probe rear or leave it in place? IMO shouldnt it be removed?
                  It still has the pgt rear mount and tranny saver in tact. All five of them fit just perfectly. No reason to remove the PGT rear as it will serve to add additional stability over the just the mx3 rear.

Comment

i dont think he pulled it, it wont hurt anything leaving it there, if anything it would add extra support. i know when i do mine i will be leaving the factory one there.

EDIT: beat me to the reply.

I'm considering adding mine to the side-side crossmember, as i do not have a front>rear one.
                    Last edited by polarexpress17; January 21, 2010, 08:41 PM.
                    95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
                    Built, Not Bought.
                    No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.

Comment

finally, good job! looks good too.. 2 weeks? is sean really that lazy to install a tranny Lol

Comment

Only thing I see wrong with leaving the rear is aren't you mixing up the possible results of the "mx3" theory. Your adding another piece to the puzzle. (Correct me if I am wrong but mx3's dont have that rear firewall mount)

I was thinking have the mx3 mount and the trans saver. Or maybe even make a different trans saver that connects to all 5 bolt holes that the trans has back there. But doesn't mount to the chassis of the car.
                        94 PGT -T, Used to be quick

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life

Comment

Originally posted by polarexpress17 View Post
                          I'm considering adding mine to the side-side crossmember, as i do not have a front>rear one.
                          That could be done, but the lateral bar would be much more susceptible to torsional stress than the front to back one. It also negates the gains of the front and rear mount being mounted to the same piece.

Originally posted by short4stuff View Post
                          Only thing I see wrong with leaving the rear is aren't you mixing up the possible results of the "mx3" theory. Your adding another piece to the puzzle. (Correct me if I am wrong but mx3's dont have that rear firewall mount)

I was thinking have the mx3 mount and the trans saver. Or maybe even make a different trans saver that connects to all 5 bolt holes that the trans has back there. But doesn't mount to the chassis of the car.
                          I don't see any issue with leaving in the pgt rear mount. As for the tranny saver, it's kinda useless without the pgt rear mount. It's purpose is to distribute the force applied on the tranny from the rear mount more evenly.

Originally posted by klde94 View Post
                          finally, good job! looks good too.. 2 weeks? is sean really that lazy to install a tranny Lol
                          Takes a week for the urethane to cure after he takes off the mounts and we fill them.
                          Last edited by hppwdn; January 21, 2010, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Hmm looks similiar to the 1st gen rear tranny mount
                            Need a chip or parts for your 1st gen GT go here----->Fordprobeparts.com

Floridafordprobeowners.club

Comment

Originally posted by hppwdn View Post
                              That could be done, but the lateral bar would be much more susceptible to torsional stress than the front to back one. It also negates the gains of the front and rear mount being mounted to the same piece.
                              I was thinking of that too, its the only thing that's stopping me from putting it on the lateral one. I suppose i will have to figure something out to connect my front bar and the rear one.

Either way, glad to see you got it done
                              95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
                              Built, Not Bought.
                              No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X