How To: power steering delete w/ ribbed tensioner pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: power steering delete w/ ribbed tensioner pulley

I have wanted to remove the ps from my car for a long time now but I have always been kinda uncomfortable with the idea of it slipping off and leaving me stranded someday. So I started doing so research and found a ribbed pulley that uses the same bearing as the stock pulley does. The pulley is off a 97 chev p/u with a 350. The belt is a 285k4(28.5'' 4 groove).
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/IMG_0857.jpg
    Now the downsides, the pulley is a 6groove and slight modification has to be done to oil pump casting in order for belt clearance.

These are the two pulleys side by side

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/IMG_0840.jpg
    They are pretty close in size but the new pulley has a little smaller diameter and is a little shorter, but the bearing is exactly the same.
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/IMG_0841.jpg
    bearing with locknut in place.

Since the new pulley is 6groove it is deeper than stock so you have to push it away from the tensioner assembly a small amount. I used 1 3/8 flat washer to get the space.
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/IMG_0844.jpg

This is the space the stock pulley has

compared to new ribbed pulley with 3/8 washer and factory spacer

new pulley installed on tension assembly
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/IMG_0847.jpg

The belt will hit on the casting of the oil pan so a small amount of material has to be removed in order for it to not drag.

I used a dremel with a gringing stone and a file to finish it off.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/IMG_0854.jpg
    Once you have removed enough mount everything to the motor. Here is an alignment shot of the pulleys. Since the pulley has a 6 grooves it leaves 2 grooves unused. It makes for a small amount of aditonal adjustment. I placed my belt in the center so I had 1 unused groove on either side of the belt.

pull out the slack in the belts and lock the locknuts and thats it. Only hard part was cutting out the section of the oil pump casting but that still was only about 10-15 min. Overall time do do swap was maybe an hour. Hope this helps some people out.
    Rio Red 94 PGT mtx
    Mods - ZE, Probinator chip, Bomz cai, 2.5 Borla catback, 2.5 custom tp, ACT, Fidanza, ss line, ssac headers, poly inserts, Intrax, illuminas, cusco camber plates

Very cool! Much easier and cheaper than doing it my way! lol
    John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
    '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
    '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
    '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

excellent info! would you mind if i added it into my thread in the racing/suspension archive?
      95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
      Built, Not Bought.
      No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.

Comment

Nice work! I wanted to do this but didn't want to put in the time at the JY to find the right fit, so I thank yee for the info

Beats my method of gutting the PS pump and just leaving it in there (saves weight, and a small amount of power needed to turn the PS pump pulley). I will do this to the 323 when the ZE goes in.
        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
        90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Originally posted by polarexpress17 View Post
          excellent info! would you mind if i added it into my thread in the racing/suspension archive?
          Not at all
          Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
          Nice work! I wanted to do this but didn't want to put in the time at the JY to find the right fit, so I thank yee for the info

Beats my method of gutting the PS pump and just leaving it in there (saves weight, and a small amount of power needed to turn the PS pump pulley). I will do this to the 323 when the ZE goes in.
          I work at a parts store so I just hunt for things like this in down time. Its much better than having to hunt in the yards
          Rio Red 94 PGT mtx
          Mods - ZE, Probinator chip, Bomz cai, 2.5 Borla catback, 2.5 custom tp, ACT, Fidanza, ss line, ssac headers, poly inserts, Intrax, illuminas, cusco camber plates

Comment

Great write-up, Im wondering how the car will feel without power steering. I've driven plenty of cars without it, but none were fwd cars.
            ///M-POC
            SENSLES 448whp at 24psi Built by Me, Tuned by SHAODOME

Flyrtle 6 - Best 2nd Gen Probe
            MMX - PRD BEST of Show and 1st Place Unlimited Class
            MM8 - PRD BEST of Show

Comment

Originally posted by lilpavel View Post
              Great write-up, Im wondering how the car will feel without power steering. I've driven plenty of cars without it, but none were fwd cars.
              Man, its a bitch!! I will probably swap back to normal at least until someone has come up with a manual rack option. Fighting the power rack is not worth the small amount of power gain(if any). The whole reason I took it out is because I wanted more room in the bay but i honestly dont dont think it is worth it.
              Rio Red 94 PGT mtx

Comment

Related thread. It's still a work in progress, but it's a good read. Hey maybe you can finish it. http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701270543
                Probe out for Harambe
                94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Remind me and ill let you drive mine Rob.
                  I dont think the belt would slip off the other one. Having well balanced ribbed pulleys above and very closely below the one you replaced plus the tension of it, I dont see that happening.
                  Easiest method is to remove the back of the pump and its internals. Done. I do remember using a washer as a spacer on mine as well though. Added it behind the main bracket.
                  95 PGT ZE boosted so custom SOLD still dreamnt about
                  05 Altima SE-R 6spd
                  04 GSXR 600 PIC
                  Stealth RT Twin turbo

Comment

Either that, or depower the stock rack. My 323 has a depowered rack, and it's a bit stiff while parallel parking, but anything over 5mph it's fantastic. I think Polar has posted a Probe-specific procedure based on the Miata work - it should be somewhere in the 2.5 perf. forum.
                    90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                    93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                    97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

Yea thats what I was thinking of doing but I dont feel like destroying my rack to find out it still sucks as a DD.
                      Rio Red 94 PGT mtx

Comment

They're $45 at the Pnp.

Comment

Good research, I like it.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
                          HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
                          Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
                          As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                            They're $45 at the Pnp.
                            Hmmmm maybe I should go out and check the yards around here most of the time there are no probes out there but it has been awhile. Hey dan I read in some post you made a walkthrough or some easy way to drop the subframe? do you know what im talking about? I saw someplace somone said you did. I searched and couldnt come up with anything
                            Rio Red 94 PGT mtx

Comment

I just got one of those 6-rib Chevy pulleys today. This is going to help me delete my busted azz power steering pump. I will leave it on the car probably cuz i am too lazy to get in there and tear out all the lines and stuff, but at least it wont keep dragging down the engine and making that horrible "schwinnnnggggggg!" noise all the time.
                              Luckily, I already shaved down the oil pump casting from the old UDP install, so the belt will fit just fine.

Which size belt will I be needing?
                              DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                              94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Working...
                              X