Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

comparing 02 sensors, scoping videos (mpg related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comparing 02 sensors, scoping videos (mpg related)

on the hunt for more MPG's I decided to start this............

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N72WCXRxwJk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]Scoping 02 sensors on a 2nd gen Probe - YouTube[/ame]

Ultimately I want to compare them under a load while driving and at WOT to see how much faster a NEW bosch 1 wire 02 sensor reacts compared to some used 4-wires possibly Walker brand.

The idea is to have lots of oscilations going up+down faster and faster as the sensor gets warmer and warmer.

The initial warmup of the 02 actually didn't take that long either (85f degrees today) but if I lived in colder weather it might take a bit longer.
    Last edited by mac1; November 7, 2011, 05:55 PM.
    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

^^^^huh?^^^^
    1994 Silver PGT, "Probe" really demands respect right?

Comment

Another one to throw you for a loop

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADVFBpgw59k"]Scoping disty sensors - YouTube[/ame]

You need a Scope though, Do this if your not getting any spark. So now if you have voltage out of both the center wires and it still dont spark then you should do the HEI mod.

If you get codes 2 or 4 and no spark then the HEI will not help one bit.
      Last edited by mac1; November 7, 2011, 11:39 PM.

Comment

I can go along with this, just learning about it in the last few weeks really.

Are you DD'ing a PGT? What year?
        94 PGT -T, Used to be quick

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life

Comment

Daily 1993, with the KL disty being the downfall of the 2nd gen Probe,this test will keep you from starting your own "no start" thread we see 10 of every week.

Comment

10 i think you need to recount
            95 PGT white dd klze / mtx fidanza,maf swapped obx headers 2 1/2" mandrel bent 14.3 sec 1/4mile time
            94 PGT blue toy de/ze/g4 hybrid/ mtx turbo 5- 10 psi maf swapped aem piggy back, fidanza mandrel bent exaust
            93 PGT red klde/mtx klg4 intake,wild orchid interior
            97&94&93 PGT gone
            DALE

Comment

disty failure mode

This is why rebuilt distys suck sometimes:

2 coils, one is aftermarket in visibly new condition, the other is a old stocker made by Mitsubishi

big difference in the secondary winding resistance of the coil

this bottom one is the stocker with more resistance

This video is with the aftermarket coil installed
              [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoWb9v6pItw"]weak spark no start - YouTube[/ame]

this video is after chaning out only the coil for the stocker
              [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PCc7v6h6zM"]strong spark ok - YouTube[/ame]

------------------------------------------------------------

Another test is if you want to know if the ECU is seeing all the sensors working correctly while cranking and you have NO cel light codes for the ckp or cam(cid) sensor do this test
              [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePSad8_kr84"]testing disty signals - YouTube[/ame]

That is the ECU telling the disty to spark, wether you have spark or not this tells you have ECU is saying everything minus the ignitor and coil is ok.
              If your shit still dont start then do the HEI mod or replace the coil.
              Last edited by mac1; November 7, 2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Great stuff Mike !!

Where and what kind of aftermarket coil should we be looking for?
                Mazda Mx3- Panther black, Kosei 18", custom hood, cleaned, new pakfeifer front, customized pakfeifer rear

KLZE highcompression, Pippercros Viper intake, kl31cams, MS1 v3, Aasco fly, CM st3 clutch, cai, ss headers, ground wirekit, srd bushings, msd window switches, nitrous

Comment

To be fair mac the disty issue is more the bane of the 92-94 cars, in 95 they redesigned the disty and problems with them all but went away.

But shit aftermarket units are a universal plague! I just had to replace a relatively new aftermarket unit on my 96 when the top part of the ignition module spontaniously split in half leaving me with a serious miss under load and thinking my new MAF swap was the problem Re instaling my original 135K distributor solved the issue imediately.

I couldnt even replace just the module cause the aftermarket disty hardware had all rusted up (even inside the cap!) making it impossible to disassemble.
                  Last edited by ls-6; November 8, 2011, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitefinish View Post
                    Great stuff Mike !!

Where and what kind of aftermarket coil should we be looking for?
                    that picture shows all the info I have on it.

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
                      testing disty signals - YouTube

That is the ECU telling the disty to spark, wether you have spark or not this tells you have ECU is saying everything minus the ignitor and coil is ok.
                      If your shit still dont start then do the HEI mod or replace the coil.
                      Well time for todays correction. The before mentioned fact is false, You can infact have ~2.9v at the Ignitor signal wire telling the coil to fire even if the cam sensor is bad. So this tells me the ECU will still try to fire the coil but has no idea where the engine timing is at and there for wont start.

Comment

Nice vids bro, my DD is giving me shit to.
                        1 tip on saving gas, put an LC-1 in for the front sensor, but leave the old 1 still connected The LC-1 has 2 programable outputs you can program 1 output to a 0-1V signal, then just cut the signal wire to the ECu from the front bank and run a more accurate o2 sensor. You can even tell it to give it an adjusted signal so instead of it shooting for 14.7 if you adjust the sig by .5 its new goal is 15.2 but it still thinks its right on
                        I just got 1 off craigslist for $130 w/ everything looks brand new. Hopefully ill go from 23-26mpg.
                        see pg 12 http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...C-1_Manual.pdf
                        Current DD- 04 Neon Srt4
                        02 SuperHawk http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...0%20Superhawk/
                        97 PGT-ZE-T- Parted and sold
                        97 PGT- Sold,
                        07 Mazda6 Grand Touring- Sold

Comment

yeah dude that's actually an awsome idea for some stock ecu MPG's. Prolly woulda taken me a long time to think of that one.

SOmeobody needs to try it.

Comment

Working...
                          X