Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean inside main fuse box

Hi guys.

My '89 Probe LX has been sitting for three weeks while I was waiting for a new crankshaft pulley. I replaced it because my alternator belt had shredded. Before that, I had the charging system checked and it was found to be good. I also decided to replace the alternator with a new one that I had bought a couple of years ago, but the new one would not keep the battery charged. I put the battery on a charger and it tested good by Advance Auto. I removed the new alternator and it also tested good. The fuses are all good. Belts are both good and tight.

I disconnected the output wire on the alternator (key on, not running) and measured only 0.40 volts. I then traced the wire back to the main fuse panel and disconnected it. I again measured only 0.40 volts on that terminal ahead of that fuse. However, I measured 12.5 volts to the high side of the fuses that connect ahead of the main fuse, such as the fuel injection and the headlights.

With the battery removed, I could not measure continuity with my ohmmeter from that terminal to any of the others, whereas all of the others that I checked had continuity among themselves in the fuse box.

It appears that I have at least one bad connection associated with the main fuse panel. How best to clean these contacts? Can you usually take apart the main fuse panel?

TIA,
    Brady

Edit: Can one disassemble the fuse box? It looks like it has parts, but I am afraid of breaking the plastic.
    Last edited by Brady; January 6, 2017, 02:53 PM. Reason: Additional question
    '89 Ford Probe LX, 2.2 nonturbo, 5 speed
    No wonder my car broke down; the mechanic put BREAK FLUID in it!
Working...
X