Oil pump or oil pressure Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pump or oil pressure Gauge

Is there a way to test and see if it is the oil pressure guage or the pump that is bad. I have had the HLA tick for awhile so i assume it is the pump, i put some STP oil additive in every oil change to take care of that. but before i go and get elbow deep in it, is there a simple test i can try.

The car is sitting up for the next couple days until i find out what is bad. The gauge read almost at the L low mark, then it would spike up to where it normally was. it did this a couple times. but for the most part today my oil pressure has been a lot lower than normal. i spoke with a mechanic who wondered if it wasnt the gauge. Thanks for the help.

scott

It is Most likely your guage. The HLA Tick is very common on our cars. Although, I have none . But yeah, sometimes my gauge doesn't even go up at all when I start the car, It just stays all the way down! But my motor purrs like a kitten. Just keep the oil changed and watch the oil level all the time and you should be OK. Alot of Ppl have messed up Oil Pressure Guages on this Forum. Most of the time it is because they are corroded where the guage wire attaches to the oil pressure sending unit. The V-6's are alot easier to access than the 2.0's. V-6's are right in the front, as to where ours are in the back next to the oil filter. Otherwise, I would have cleaned mine already . You should be fine unless the tick is Extremely bad, then i would say it is your pump

Later,
    Joe
    1992 Taurus SHO MODS: SHOshop Y-Pipe, 2.5" Magnaflow Catback, K&N
    2007 Subaru WRX TR MODS: SPT Intake, Invidia 4"-3" catless DP, Invidia 3" street exhaust, Open Source Tune, Big Top Mount
    Best 1/4- 12.7@ 106mph on a 1.78 60'

Comment

so i could just check and see what condition the oil pressure gauge wire is in at the sending unit, and if it seems fine then its most likely my pump?

Comment

Not Always, still could be your factory guage. I would buy an Autometer aftermarket one with the new sending unit and all to get a TRUE reading down to the exact PSI!

Later,
        Joe
        1992 Taurus SHO MODS: SHOshop Y-Pipe, 2.5" Magnaflow Catback, K&N
        2007 Subaru WRX TR MODS: SPT Intake, Invidia 4"-3" catless DP, Invidia 3" street exhaust, Open Source Tune, Big Top Mount
        Best 1/4- 12.7@ 106mph on a 1.78 60'

Comment

i have bad hla click on my eunos ze, and the oil pressure was scaring me so i replaced the pump. the hlas click just as load as ever. i switch to an autometer guage and the pressure is with in spec. i personaly don't think that the oil pressure has as much to do with hla tick as everyone thinks. i have tryed every oil pressure trick ZR-1 filter shimed pump, new pump, different weight oils, and i still have hla tick
          wes

Comment

OIL PUMP!!!!!! A bad guage will just read you the wrong pressure on the guage. The oil pump has a bad plunger which is notorious on the probe. This causes HLA tick and you need to buy a new one. Might I suggest the High Volume Oil Pump from www.importperformanceparts.net. Fixing the oil pumpwill cure all your problems.
            --Will--

Shit happens when you party naked

My Cardomain Page

Comment

Originally posted by Wildstar
              OIL PUMP!!!!!! A bad guage will just read you the wrong pressure on the guage. The oil pump has a bad plunger which is notorious on the probe. This causes HLA tick and you need to buy a new one. Might I suggest the High Volume Oil Pump from www.importperformanceparts.net. Fixing the oil pumpwill cure all your problems.
              the high volume pumps are only listed for the 2.5 ........?????

or am i missing something?

Comment

thanks for the help guys, dont know if i will get a high volume unless it is only a little more...i'll check the gauge wire at the sending unit anyway but i hvae a bad feeling that its the pump, hopefully ill get it done this sunday or next

scott

Comment

if you have hlas ticking replace ur hlas
                  White 93 mx6 with catback, custom intake--SOLD
                  95 Mitsubishi Eclipse-Header -CAI-catback-testpipe--SOLD
                  93 Honda Civic Del slow!---Soon to be sold

Next Project---KL03?????

...Powertoyz CC...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_305
                    if you have hlas ticking replace ur hlas
                    that does'nt solve the problem....its a common thing on the FS.... (unfortunately)...just change ya oil and fit good quality oil filters and you should be fine.... (but it does depend on the age of the engine)

Comment

Importperformaceparts.net has the high volume pump for our cars you just have to look under Mazda 626 for the '93 - '00 16V fs engine part number OPMA-17L-HV. That is really the only thing you can do to actually cure the problem.
                      --Will--

Shit happens when you party naked

My Cardomain Page

Comment

Working...
                      X