No announcement yet.

Which coilovers for this setup (autoX)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which coilovers for this setup (autoX)?

I have a 1995 mx6 LS.
    I have 16x8 rx7 wheels with 1/4" spacers on all 4 corners.
    I want to lower my car and stiffen it up at the same time.
    I need it to be adjustable so that I can set it to a height in which
    the tires wont rub the wells when I am under hard breaking or
    turning, since I am going to be autocrossing quite a bit.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Evan
    1995 Mx6 LS

Well, since you're at least in DSP, I'd suggest going with Ground Controls and seraching on this forum for what some of the Probe/MX-6 guys are running for spring rates. You shouldnt have to raise the car to keep it from rubbing...thats what the stiffer springs do.

Keep in mind that any strut suspension can't be lowered that far without running into major suspension travel issues.
    -Jesse
    "Racing makes herion addiction look like a vague desire for something salty."
    -93 MR2, #129 ES, SCCA ProSolo Season: 2nd place: 2004 & 2005 & 2006.

Comment

If your car is still going to be a daily driver, search for posts by tracer bullet to see his GC set up for street and auto-x. He used longer and softer springs to try to avoid hitting bumpstops and still keep a reasonable ride. Sounded good to me.
      Blk 94 PGT, with not nearly enough stuff on it.

Comment

Like Jesse said your 8" rims are going to kick you out of anything but D street prepared or faster classes. What other mods do you have? Springs are not going to do you a great deal of good without good struts. How serious are you about racing? serious + desire to win = money Even Tokico struts are not good enuff to handle stiff "race" type springs...I ran into that last year. I tried to address this through custom valved struts but I am not made of money...so I am chaging my spring rates for now. I made my car into something that is hard to drive on the street..cause of the stiff suspension. You can search for my old spring rates but those have changed. I have put countless runs on my car to get it set-up to my driving and to pick the rates I like the best. You need to do the same. Not everyone drives the same or likes the car to handle the same. I like a very loose car almost scary loose...but that is good on an autocross course bad on the street. But I can set-up my car for that since I don't drive much on the street.

Jake

I re-read what I wrote and I come off an kind of an ass but I didn't mean it that way. sorry I really need more info to help you more.
        Old Prober!!! Woot

Comment

You did not sound like an ass to me at all.

Mods- all ive got so far is what I have listed.

I am really serious in autocrossin right now, my dad too .
          Serious enough to have a really stiff suspension all the time
          even when my car is driven every day.

I have maybe... 500 bucks in the bank... gonna invest in FSTB, 65mm TB, rear sway bar, and coilovers. Those are just the things
          I am going to get within a few weeks.

Oh yeah, yes I am in DSP-> had a race yesterday... finished 3rd out of six, not too bad since I beat an IS300, 325i, Civic SI, the dudes who beat me had a GTI and a Isuzu Impulse!!!!( ).
          But anyways... I figure to get the GC's, but what struts to get? since the Tokicos didnt work for you Jake.
          Thanks for the search info... will be searching quite a bit when I have time, cause the next AutoX is on the 13th, I want to win!

Evan
          if i missed something, sorry.
          1995 Mx6 LS

Comment

koni inserts from propartsusa.com. theyre not listed on the site, call them up and im sure they'll still have them. depending on your rates, you may have to revalve them or shorten the strut rod if u plan on lowering the car alot to regain some travel.....or, you can lower the perch on ur strut housing(ie, make a ring and weld onto the housing before the insert is not installed in the housing). if you cant do the install yourself, proparts will do it for you, im not sure theyll do the whole spring perch thing though.

hope that wasnt too confusing, good luck with your mods.
            95 Probe GT

Comment

ditch the idea for a front strut tower bar...its a waste of money for now. Same with the throttle body. Your engine is not what is keeping you from winning.

First things, first, buy a set of race tires. Kumho V700s will be just fine for you. Look into getting 245s with the shortest sidewall you can find.

Next, camber plates and the probetalk sway bar

Next, Limited slip diff. If you have money, get the Quaife....if not, call up OPM motorsports.

If you're serious, those are your next few modifications after the springs and struts. And go with the Konis like he just said. Definately worth the money.

Beyond that, headers, exhaust, and start trying to shave weight....ie racing seats, smaller battery...etc
              -Jesse

Comment

If I get a LSD, it puts me in one of the highest classes... so no. I was actually gonna get one for looks, since its only 35 brand new. I wouldnt mind having any extra power while I am racing, that is why I want the TB. I know the driver is 80 percent of autoX that is why I was only 2 seconds behind my dads 01 cobra.
                I will find the perfect setup.
                Thanks for the information, keep it coming.
                Evan
                1995 Mx6 LS

Comment

Originally posted by L-ucky-S-ix
                  If I get a LSD, it puts me in one of the highest classes... so no. I was actually gonna get one for looks, since its only 35 brand new. I wouldnt mind having any extra power while I am racing, that is why I want the TB. I know the driver is 80 percent of autoX that is why I was only 2 seconds behind my dads 01 cobra.
                  I will find the perfect setup.
                  Thanks for the information, keep it coming.
                  Evan
                  You're in DSP, so the LSD is allowed,and you MUST have it to be competitive. I've raced 2 different DSP cars, a Del Sol, and a BMW 323is. Trust me, the LSD IS needed.

Next, GET a rulebook, so you can make intelligent choices to your car.
                  -Jesse

Comment

I know the driver is 80 percent of autoX that is why I was only 2 seconds behind my dads 01 cobra.

Evan
                    2 seconds is a long time
                    Greg
                    White 94 PGT -- Sold to a friend.

Steel Gray 06 WRX --

Comment

I need to second a few things here....get a rule book, limited slip is legal in street prepared, TB and front strut brace is a waste of money (for now). Get your suspension tuned in to your driving and then find more power. Congrats on the good finish but winning at a local event and winning at national event are very different.

Struts: http://www.predatormotorsport.com/ Try this guy...he custom valves koni inserts. He is a racer and seems to know what he is talking about. But I didn't go this route because it's close to 1k for all four struts. He also wanted me to go to OH to have my car corner weighted and bring my car to him after the install and corner weight to drive a road course to do final adjustment on the struts. He also wanted to on very very stiff springs.

With 500 in the bank get ground control coil-overs(these are easily up-graded as time goes by) and buy a set of tokico struts...this going to be over your 500. To get your car to the full prep rules of DSP from completely stock your going to need in the range of 4-5k for just parts. I just bought a set of Kosei 16" rims with a set of V700 245/45-16 tires..there's 1200 and tires wear out. I basically took my STS set-up and am adding race tires. I still need LSD and few other things to be a full DSP car. LSD is a whole new subject but I am still undesided on which one to go with.

Jake

yeah 2 seconds at a national event can mean the differance between winning and 20th place. At the local events look for your PAX time and place. That is a better judge of your driving...helps even more if you have several past national champs like I do in my home region.
                      Old Prober!!! Woot

Comment

I love my Leda's, PT swaybar, and Rear strut bar

The car handles AMAZING

Ty

Comment

Originally posted by 93GTSR
                          I love my Leda's, PT swaybar, and Rear strut bar

The car handles AMAZING

Ty
                          clunk clunk
                          Lee Hubanks

As a political discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler or the Nazis approaches 1.

http://members.cardomain.com/ntruder95

Comment

I do have a rule book. The LSD information that I got was online, because the rule book is a little hard to understand at times. I dont see why a LSD would help me much, I dont know much about em, but doesnt it only help when you take off? or is it when you accelerate? -> this would make more sense.

My dads cobra is in ESP, so 2 secs behind his car is not too bad.

I do have a few national champs in my area also, most famous being John Ames, you probably heard of him, we also have Patty Tunnell, and Mary Medicus, and John Carpenter. Good luck racing against them, haha.

Also would relocating the battery do much? What is the weight distribution percentage on the car? I am considering this also.

Evan
                            1995 Mx6 LS

Comment

I do have a rule book. The LSD information that I got was online, because the rule book is a little hard to understand at times. I dont see why a LSD would help me much, I dont know much about em, but doesnt it only help when you take off? or is it when you accelerate? -> this would make more sense.

My dads cobra is in ESP, so 2 secs behind his car is not too bad.

I do have a few national champs in my area also, most famous being John Ames, you probably heard of him, we also have Patty Tunnell, and Mary Medicus, and John Carpenter. Good luck racing against them, haha.

Also would relocating the battery do much? What is the weight distribution percentage on the car? I am considering this also.

Evan
                              Evan, I do run across the country against those guys. I was actually parked about 40 feet from John Ames and his Silver Z06 back in September in Kansas at the National Championships. And I worked during the heat that Bob Tunnel, Patty's husband ran his white BSP M3. I'm still pretty new to the National scene, (only started autocrossing exactly 2 years ago actually, 4-1-01) but I've done fairly well, winning last years Petersburg ProSolo IN DSP, and taking 2nd and 3rd in the 2003 Ft. Myers ProSolo and National Tour in my E-stock MR2 respectivly.

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/sp.html#s1410

Section 14.10 N That's the street prepard rules online. It's on page 105 in the 2002 SCCA rulebook, and it says the EXACT same thing, so I don't understand how you could think its hard to understand.

Next, what a limited slip allows you to do is 2 things...power out of corners earlier without extreme understeer and/or wheelspin, and it allows you to "power through" manuevers that previously required braking/lifting off the throttle. It's one of the main reasons why SP is so much faster than STR was. Try to talk to the local fast guys in FSP, DSP and see what to say if you don't want to believe me.

The battery relocation is a decent step, and a good idea when you decide to get a smaller battery. The PGT is front heavy, so any weight you can shove into the back and LOW is good. The spare tire area is a good place. Make sure to get the proper vented box, and run nice BIG battery cables.

Oh, and with the ESP/DSP pax indexes, on a 60 second course for your dad, and a 62 second course for you, you're still back 1.2 seconds, which again, is still an eternaity on an autocross course.
                              -Jesse

Comment

Working...
                              X