1st gen to 2ng gen transplant...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st gen to 2ng gen transplant...?

I am sure this has ben hit before, but do to my time crunch, searching isnt available. So if you can help, this would be great.

I found a steal on a turbo off of a 89 probe (2.2) with all of the extras, but am looking at this for my 93 probe (2.0). I know I will have to get the manifold and of course the intercooler (I dont like the one the 89 has) but I can fabb up the plumbing and such, my resources are unlimitted there, so my biggest question is the boost aspect.... is this turbo compatible with the 2.0's? as far as not overboosting, or supplring enough. Any help out there?

Thanks!
    Kris (93 SE)
    "One of Many Probes in Wyoming!"
    COPOC
    My Probe

yea I did this and I got 6 psi with just reving it not in gear. The turbo I used leaked oil so I took it out before I ever tested it down the road. IMO anyturbo that builds boost like that with no load is way to small for me so I got a t3/t4. If you want pics check out my cardomain page. I think they are on page 3.
    94 Base Probe mtx NOS n2o (50 shot) 15.53@94 mph

93 Probe SE mtx turbo 15psi, ("NOS" n2o 50 shot in my garage waiting to be installed on the probe) with a few supporting mods.... Tuning is a B****
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/probeseturbo

Comment

what exact type of turbo does the 89 come with? and you sadi it was blown, so might that have effected the boost?
      Kris (93 SE)
      COPOC
      My Probe

Comment

The oil seal leaked oil into the exhaust that's all. That is not going to make it boost more. It will work great as long as you don't plan on getting more then 250 hp. Your gonna have a real hard time keeping the tirs from burning. You will prolly have up to 5+ psi in 1st gear by 2000 rpms if you have a good mani. If you pump that gas a couple of times you could launch with the thing boosting 5 psi... well try to laung. Your not really going to go anywhere but to the nearest tire shop to get a new set.

93 Probe SE mtx turbo 15psi, ("NOS" n2o 50 shot in my garage waiting to be installed on the probe) with a few supporting mods.... Tuning is a B****

Comment

is it possible to build boost without a load on the engine? I mean I can hear my bov when I rev it in N but I will never hit above 0 psi, and this is with a fairly small T3

Comment

yea well the first gen turbo is more lilke a t25 then it is like a t3. my boost gauge read 6 psi in N when I hit the gas about 2 times and the third time I hit about 6000 rpms. I know I know that's not the best thing for you motor but I was pretty upset at the time cause my car was blowing oil out the exhaust. And I wanted to know what the 1st gen turbo could do before I took it off.

Comment

so save the bucks and go t3 then. i am not going to get crazy with massivily boosting the motor yet and dropping rods. i was looking into about 10psi.
              Kris (93 SE)
              COPOC
              My Probe

Comment

my friend todd has a first gen and we bumpt his cr up to 8.5:1 and ran 7 psi. Then we put it up to 10 psi. with the stock turbo the air at 10 psi was hoter and he didn't gain that much over 7 psi. Don't get me wrong it was faster at 10 psi but not as fast as it would have been if he had a cooler air charge. A t3 or t3/t4 would have given him a colder air charge at 10 psi becuase it wouldn't be spooling as fast as the stock turbo. He is now running 15.5 @ 93 mph in the 1/4 at 10 psi. At 7 psi he was at 15.9 @ 89 mph. With my engine build and t3/t4 at 8 psi I got a 14:5 @ 105 mph. (On the G tech..... not yet track proven) The G tech is close but not right on all the time.

Comment

Don't bother wasting your time on the IHI VJ-11. Its too small for the motor it came on, let alone a similarly sized motor with DOHC. Would you put the IHI on an FE3?? I would certainly hope not.
                  Jesus is the remedy
                  Black '94 GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
                  Black '89 MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
                  Ebony Pearl '95 Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001

Comment

Too small, hmm, well thas out the window then. 10psi was my goal and even looking at the turbine housing i was thinking that it was a bit on the small side. T3 shopping I go!
                    Kris (93 SE)
                    COPOC
                    My Probe

Comment

Working...
                    X