• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleMetal1
    You don't have an ignitor.
    You have a coil instead.

Test that and your ICM.
    Okay, so then replacing the distributor wouldn't make a difference for a no start/no spark condition on my car then, correct?
    95 Probe SE: Reverse indiglo gauges, sleepy eye mod, custom exhaust

Soon: bigger rear sway bar, front & rear strut tower bars

Comment

It could; you disty has the cam sensor in it.

You need to figure out why it's not firing.
      1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX
      Kitted. Lambos. Slammed. 18s. T3/04E. LSD. MSII. Zoom-Zoom-Psst.

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX
      Lowered. 18s. P5 FSDE. MP3 PCM.

Cardomain - Needs updating.

Comment

Thanks, yeah i have no idea why there is no spark at the plugs. Figured it's more than likely the disty from reading on here since my ignition module and ignition coil are new. Just don't know how to test the disty or the ICM to determine if either is my problem.

Comment

the SParkOUTputSignal or SPOUT signal is generated entirely within the PCM (computer) and this signal controls coil on time or dwell...the CMP sensor produces a Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) signal that provides base timing information and is an indication of engine RPM and position...the ICM will have one of two arrangements: push start or CCD..push start allows for increased dwell or coil on time when starting the engine..the ICM determines when to turn the coil on based on engine rpm info..the CCD system is the same as the push start except the falling edge of the SPOUT signal is generated to control coil on time..the coil on time is entirely controlled by the SPOUT signal. the ICM does not internally determine when to turn the coil on as it does on the push start system. on the CCD system or computer controlled dwell system the ICM responds directly to the SPOUT signal it receives..there are two distinct sytems for 95 2.0 probes..on one the ICM is mounted on the distributor..in the second configuration the ICM is not mounted on the distributor but in another location..(i believe the 95 2.0 ATX (auto) has the ICM mounted on the disty while the MTX or manual trans has the ICM mounted in another location..this info is condensed from the 95 Mitchells manual which is almost word for word taken from the factory service manual
          Last edited by neilh2o; March 1, 2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I have a question too, I'm misfiring, I start up, the cars revs all over (500-2500 RPM) spits out a ton of exhaust, smells like burning gas, and stalls. I removed the dist cap and rotor and replaced them as there was severe wear, but it had no effect, would an HEI mod be my next step?

I'm pulling code 3
            Last edited by Tristan; December 12, 2007, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks, by ICM i assume it means Ignition Control Module which i have replaced with a new one weeks ago(put the new one in and it started right up). It was located downwards of the driver side headlight right by the radiator. So from reading, it seems the CMP (camshaft position sensor? and part of the distributor assembly?) or the PCM is my problem.

Comment

Neil

A little clarification, please!

My '93 2.0 MTX cuts out now and again and sometimes fails to start when cold. When the fault occurs, the check engine come on and the tach dies.

Are you saying that it may be the Crank Angle Sensor in my distributor and that I can buy it for $75 on ebay or will the module only work for the ATX?

Are you also saying it could be my ICM (located near my fuel filter)?

Also, any codes that I should look for?

Thanks!
                Last edited by cavic; December 30, 2007, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Umm.. 96 2.0 Manual transmission, new battery, cables, plugs, wires, cap & rotor.. Engine cranks, no start. all 4 injectors show between 9.2 and 9.5 volts during cranking. all 4 plugs are firing.. so Internal Distributor Module, or not? Is there an ohm or voltage test to differentiate between a good or bad one?

Comment

If you plugs really are getting spark, it wouldn't be the distributor module.

Are you getting fuel?

Did you change anything prior to the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by 4NIC8R
                      Umm.. 96 2.0 Manual transmission, new battery, cables, plugs, wires, cap & rotor.. Engine cranks, no start. all 4 injectors show between 9.2 and 9.5 volts during cranking. all 4 plugs are firing.. so Internal Distributor Module, or not? Is there an ohm or voltage test to differentiate between a good or bad one?
                      No internal ignitor ... you have a coil.
                      1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX
                      Kitted. Lambos. Slammed. 18s. T3/04E. LSD. MSII. Zoom-Zoom-Psst.

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX
                      Lowered. 18s. P5 FSDE. MP3 PCM.

Cardomain - Needs updating.

Comment

Originally posted by cavic
                        If you plugs really are getting spark, it wouldn't be the distributor module.

Are you getting fuel?

Did you change anything prior to the problem?
                        i just bought the car in non running condition.. the guy who sold it to me had no idea what was wrong with it. I have fuel in the rail, but I haven't done a fuel pressure test, or an injector pulse width test. Just have found that all the injectors are getting voltage.

So since the SPOUT signal comes from the pcm, that would suggest that either the pcm is bad, or possibly the icm is bad. so the question becomes is there a way to test the icm?

Comment

You said that you have spark.

Is the rotor on right? The contact should be pointing in the same direction as the flat on the dist. shaft.

Are you even getting the engine to cough?

What do the plugs look like? Are they wet after you try and start?

Comment

i want to see

Comment

Does anyone have pics showing the way they mounted and tapped into the wiring when installing a chevy module?

Comment

neilh2o- where is the ground strap on a 93 2.0 atx i do not see it all there is under the module is the plate holding the coil in ???

Comment

Working...
                                X