KJabusa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally some progress!

Well I finally got my first KJabusa bored block back from the machine shop (after 3 months of impatient waiting). Here are a few pics.

Fresh bore:

Chopping the cradle:

Cleaning up the chopped cradle:

I found that the original SC cradle makes a perfect cover plate for the separated chambers. It is also much lower profile than a stock KL water log. This will make room for other things up top while providing a somewhat stock water flow path.

This one is going to be purely N/A just to test to see if this combination will be successful or should be abandoned. I had originally intended to turn the tapered noses of the KJ cranks to be identical to KL cranks but then I realized that since the gargantuan pulley assembly removes from a special hub that mounts to the tapered nose -I think I can use this hub to mount HTD crank pulleys to. So this might actually be a good thing!

Tapered nose and hub:

Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

This is awesome man. Hope you can actually bring it together and make it work. The wrist pin will press in as it sits? That's pretty cool.
      1988 Mazda 323 Sedan - All motor KL. 11.5:1 forged, Interprep cams and valvetrain, ITBS..

Comment

If your still looking for k8 rods, I just ripped one out of my mx to put in my KL. I doubt all 6 are still good but atleast one should be
        92 Mx3 2.5lswap, headers, full 2.5"exhaust pacesetter muffler, cat/egr delete, cai, H&R springs, k&n intake, jdm 100w glass lamps, CF invader hood, Autopower Rollbar, Combat lip, did I mention its 340lbs lighter than your probe?

Worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper6 View Post
          If your still looking for k8 rods, I just ripped one out of my mx to put in my KL. I doubt all 6 are still good but atleast one should be
          Thank you but I have found several other better alternatives. I had also found that the K8 rods have a smaller large end and so that would have required me to do expensive machine work to a crank. I have revised my previous entries to remove the request for K8 rods.
          Restoration of a legend

Comment

well you know me, i'm a pic whore, send me some more

Comment

Originally posted by ausloki View Post
              well you know me, i'm a pic whore, send me some more
              OK!

This was the first experimental failure:

I had wanted to try doing pressed pins to save a little bit on the experimental build. But due to the unique shape of the piston -there is no real good place to cradle it in the press. So as I was trying to find a way to cradle it with something to provide back-pressure seating -it kept getting cool too fast. So I superheated the small end to the point that aluminum becomes soft.

Oooops!

So now -it appears that the only way to press pins with these pistons is to make a custom jig cradle. And that would be too labor/money intensive. So the next option is to hone the small end for a slip fit much like stock Hayabusa. I also discovered from my S2000 F20C teardown -that the bronze bushings in the small end are not neccessary. The F20C rods do not have any kind of liner bushing for the slip fit. They are just slip fit in the steel as-is. So I am going to have a set of KL rods honed for slip fit. That is not too labor or money intensive.
              Last edited by KLZE Porsche; November 29, 2011, 05:02 PM.
              Restoration of a legend

Comment

ouch, thats got to hurt

Comment

I have no idea really what your doing.....but its pretty bad ass For some reason when this thing flys across the salt, its gonna be a big deal
                  MMX BEST ROLLIN WERCK
                  1991 accord wagon..20's, ear bleeding system..storm trooper style /08 CRV black/tan sunroof...stock /1965 thunderbird landau/

Comment

Originally posted by soufkackicustom View Post
                    I have no idea really what your doing.....
                    Sometimes -I wonder that myself.

Actually there are several things I am trying to do:
                    1) Build a K motor with ultralight forged pistons and some extreme head work to see just what the RPM potential is for a KL motor.
                    2) Build a K motor with ultralight forged pistons for an unusually low cost (I purchased a bunch of Busa assemblies and parted all of it out -to make enough money -so that the pistons are of no cost to me. I have around 24 pistons to play with -scratch that -now 23 pistons!)
                    3) Discover new ideas and new potential for the K motors and perhaps save the dying Probe GT.

Roughing the part:

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; November 26, 2011, 07:49 PM.
                    Restoration of a legend

Comment

fyi. they do make 85 & 86mm pistons for the busa...(

i was going to point out that an alum block could easily ( relatively speaking ) be re-sleeved in a smaller diameter but i would think ordering pistons to fit would be the better option.

Comment

Originally posted by bob k. mando View Post
                        fyi. they do make 85 & 86mm pistons for the busa...(

i was going to point out that an alum block could easily ( relatively speaking ) be re-sleeved in a smaller diameter but i would think ordering pistons to fit would be the better option.
                        I am aware of the over-sized Busa pistons but the price is over-sized as well. You can't beat the price of free forged lightweight pistons.

And as far as sleeving goes -I would never re-sleeve a KL motor. Having examined a large number of blocks -I have found that quite a few of them have separation between the aluminum and the cast iron sleeves. This is due to overheating. There are ridges on the stock sleeves which means that you would have to bore to the largest diameter of the ridges. This means that the aluminum would get extremely thin and since they are already somewhat structurally compromised from heat -I do not think that sleeving would be a good idea.

Darton makes sleeves that completely replace the aluminum and cast iron combination and even have a top deck reinforcement. But the cost of having just 4 installed is around $1600. So add 2 more cylinders to that amount and you have about $2400 to sleeve a KL. Definitely not economical!

Also -one very important fact is that there is almost no possibility of getting a forged piston that is as lightweight and strong as the Hayabusa piston. A larger piston is heavier and also -the aftermarket ones are much heavier. Nearly every aftermarket manufacturer makes their pistons more beefy so that they can withstand mega boost. Not many manufacturers are making an ultralight forged aftermarket piston designed for extreme RPMs in a N/A build.

Putting cheap stock forged Hayabusa pistons into a KJ block is much cheaper. I have ZERO $$$ into the pistons, ZERO $$$ into the KJ block and crank (because a set of Milli S rods sells for as much as I can pick up a complete KJ for). So -to this point -I have $90 into a bore job and my hours to remove and clean up the KJ. To me -that is quite economical!
                        Last edited by KLZE Porsche; November 27, 2011, 09:54 AM.
                        Restoration of a legend

Comment

How much do you have to pay for a KL from the yards? I mean since you manage to break even it cant be anywhere close to the prices over here =)
                          Mazda 626 GT - 2.5 V6 - KL31
                          Mazda RX-7 FD - EU spec

Comment

Originally posted by Zepticon View Post
                            How much do you have to pay for a KL from the yards? I mean since you manage to break even it cant be anywhere close to the prices over here =)
                            All V6 engines here are around $200 by the time you throw in the taxes. This includes Milli S and unexpected ZE transplants.
                            Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
                              All V6 engines here are around $200 by the time you throw in the taxes. This includes Milli S and unexpected ZE transplants.
                              Ahahahaha lucky basterds! I gotta pay atleast $1000 each. And they are bloody rare
                              Mazda 626 GT - 2.5 V6 - KL31
                              Mazda RX-7 FD - EU spec

Comment

too much good stuff and ouch on that piston mishap. Keep it up.
                                1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                                1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                                2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                                2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                                1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Working...
                                X