KLZE dropped a Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KLZE dropped a Valve

Hey everyone, just wanted to show everyone what happens when you get a ZE and you dont do a check on the engine and you dont change your intake retainers. This engine lasted me approximately a month and the valve dropped. Gigantic waste of time and money. Check it out!!

Last edited by randledaman; July 4, 2008, 08:06 PM.
    96 Probe SE- klze with DE valve train, 18" chrome wheels, 35 series rubber, ACT stage 3 clutch, fidanza 9lb flywheel, pro 1 headers, cold air intake, bored out TB, rr racing inserts, sts.

wow ummmm...... sorry to hear about your misfortune
    “The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.” ~ Elie Wiesel

Comment

looks just like what happend to my ZE.. to bad man what are you going to do?
      The come back kid
      96 Ford Probe Turboed 12.202 @ 118.74 R.I.P
      97 Mx-6 all motor 13.7 @ 98 parted out
      88 Mx-6 Turbo Classic 14.5@93 SOLD
      93 323 hatchV6 turbo! To be announced

Comment

Ouch man, that really sucks....

Makes me happy knowing I put in the DE valve train on my ZE heads..
        93 GT Rio red: H/E/I -HEI mod -MSD -67mm RC TB -Fidanza 9lb -ACT 2100 -4G GRND kit - Ported and Polish ZE heads&cams, intake -Dinan ECU -AC delete -Illuminas w/1" drop -AWR trailing arms -AWR engine mounts -Addco 22mm sway bar -STBS -PMO X-member -New engine mod-13in Wilwood BBK-

Comment

dont rev so high and it wont drop
          black 94 probe gt-on 5lbs boost - t3/t4 50trim dynoed at 210hp & 194 tq on fmu

Comment

+1, 7k redline is plenty
            still sucks though
            00 Saturn SL2, boosting @ 15-20 psi
            Gimme an SRT4 for breakfast! Boosting plastic appliances is fun.
            Engine: fully forged, 8.5:1 CR, p&p, balanced to 9k, T3/T4 .63 turbine, FSR cams, meth-injected..
            "There is a replacement for displacement, and it's shaped like a snail"

Comment

Originally posted by SlaveLabor View Post
              Ouch man, that really sucks....

Makes me happy knowing I put in the DE valve train on my ZE heads..
              Got news for you buddy. IT WON'T HELP!!! I still cracked retainers with the DE valve train. All of you need to do yourselves a huge favor and invest in a set of interprep valve springs. Best 200 bucks I ever spent.
              "I come from a very big family, nine parents."

"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story"

Comment

I don't think thats a droped valve. Looks like you broke and intake and Exhaust valve, the valve stem is still inside the head. Flip teh head over and take a pic of the retainer and spring!

Comment

does this only happen if you redline it or go over 7k?
                  '95 MX6 LS-restoration in progress,...and bolt ons!
                  '12 Malibu-daily
                  RIP- '93 MX6 LS,Boosted 7lbs,180 stat,udp,2.5in exhaust w/hooker aero chamber muffler w/3in tip,S2 clutch,11lb flywhl,strut bars,eibachs,monroes,awr f/r mm,awr sway bar kit,b&m shifter w/rr-racing&corksport brass bushings

Comment

Originally posted by mx3autozam View Post
                    I don't think thats a droped valve. Looks like you broke and intake and Exhaust valve, the valve stem is still inside the head. Flip teh head over and take a pic of the retainer and spring!
                    It looks like he dropped one valve, which then effed up the other valve and the piston. There is definitely a hole in the piston that looks like it was made via the valve stem.

edit: nevermind, I see the second stem now. weird
                    00 Saturn SL2, boosting @ 15-20 psi
                    Gimme an SRT4 for breakfast! Boosting plastic appliances is fun.
                    Engine: fully forged, 8.5:1 CR, p&p, balanced to 9k, T3/T4 .63 turbine, FSR cams, meth-injected..
                    "There is a replacement for displacement, and it's shaped like a snail"

Comment

actually this happened because i mis shifted and my car went to about 8k rpm, but yea that was an awesome engine really clean when i got it, i got a new one now from tiger japanese and its really dirty and dark brown under the valve covers, im gonna be switching all my intake valves over. what happened is the retainer snapped in half, half of it is still in my hla and it took the other valve with it. i inspected all the retainers later and found a few more intake ones cracked, no exhaust ones tho. The piston hit the stems and bent and jammed them into the head i cant get them out. I would recommend if your KLZE starts ticking loud suddenly dont drive anymore check your valves, because i thought it was just a HLA but i was wrong lol.
                      Last edited by randledaman; July 4, 2008, 10:47 PM.
                      96 Probe SE- klze with DE valve train, 18" chrome wheels, 35 series rubber, ACT stage 3 clutch, fidanza 9lb flywheel, pro 1 headers, cold air intake, bored out TB, rr racing inserts, sts.

Comment

Ouch that sucks. Good luck wit the next setup.
                        2g probe ze

Comment

Or just put DE valvetrain in..best thing i ever did!

Comment

That shit'll buff out.

Well maybe not lol. But that really sucks!
                            Daily slut: 02 WRX: stage too this and that.. 255awhp/265awtq... Old numbers.. New Hybrid 257 is alive and strong!
                            Toy: 95 Camero: LS3. T56. 9". and a little NAAAAWWWS.

Comment

Originally posted by mx3autozam View Post
                              Or just put DE valvetrain in..best thing i ever did!
                              NO!!!! It helps a little but not much. Just spend a couple more bucks on performance springs and install them. All it takes is one mis-shift and your motor is fubar. Go ahead and sit on the limiter with DE valvetrain in a ZE head and see what happens. Hell, it probably wont even REACH the limiter before screwing up.

Like my95gtprob said, DE retainers WILL STILL FAIL!!!! I know this for a fact because I was replacing his DE retainers on his ZE on a weekly and sometimes twice-weekly basis! The total came to around 30 retainers cracked/ broken before finally dropping a valve. After an expensive repair to the damaged head, an extra 200 dollars were spend on some Interprep springs and he can now beat the absolute piss out of the motor without worry.
                              Jim K.
                              :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Working...
                              X