Rubber around windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber around windows?

I have a question, the rubber around the outside of my windows its rotting/coroding away, its not smooth anymore, its rough and worn, can that be replaced or is it alot of work, do the windows have to be resealed, let me know.
    RIP = White 1996 Probe SE, ATX->MTX
    Sold = White 1995 Probe GT-ZE MTX - lightened flywheel, stage 2 clutch
    Project = 1997 Gold Probe GT ATX soon to have a 99 Mazda 626 KLG4

the rubbers of the rear 3 windows are molded with the windows so i think if you wan't to replace them you have to replace the hole window and that's expensive

Comment

You're referring to the rubber at the top of the window when the door is closed and the window is up?

Comment

Originally posted by photoguy
        You're referring to the rubber at the top of the window when the door is closed and the window is up?
        No the rubber around the windows on the outside, not the rubber that keeps the door/ window when rolled up from leaking, not the weather stripping.

Comment

word my rubber is deteriorating aswell. Also my weather stripping sucks, it doesnt make a seal when my windows are closed. Bringing towels and holding them up during a car wash isnt fun. Water always seems to get in.

Comment

I think you mean the outside trim pieces. mine are not black anymore their kinda chrome and black. i wish i knew where i could get this replaced also.
            Last edited by Mazstermind; July 6, 2005, 01:53 PM.
            93PGT\BlueA work in progress...very slow progress....>>>http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...=22995#content

Comment

the weather stripping?
              AFAIK ford doesn't make it anymore
              which is shitty, becasue when someone broke into my car last year they f'd mine up
              -Kyle
              93 Black probe (K-sporting) My Cardomain

Mazdaspeed SVO 2.Slow turbo build teaser thread**

Comment

Originally posted by blackpgt1994
                the weather stripping?
                AFAIK ford doesn't make it anymore
                which is shitty, becasue when someone broke into my car last year they f'd mine up
                Thats sucks they dont make it, does anyone know if anyone makes the trim or if it can be replaced/fixed? Maybe there a filler or chemical to bring it back to life out there.

Comment

mine is toasted too, its flaking off but its chrome underneath and kinda looks good.

Comment

there's not much you can really do for that, unfortunately. You can try the product "Back to Black" (I think by either Mothers or Meguairs), and that normally helps some, but if not, just mask it off and paint it again. That's about all you can do
                    1994GT-MTX...traded in after 12 years of ownership.
                    1995GT-MTX...gone too

2003 Accord V6 MTX...much faster and more reliable!

Comment

So there is no way to swap the stripping on the rear quarter glass?
                      Mine is all chewed up.... would maybe sanding it down help? There has to be SOMETHING you can do to make it look new!
                      95 pgt
                      97 240sx

Comment

Replacing it is out of the question as its attached to the glass itself.

Some have tried a few different things, but no one seems to ever come back and post results. I think very very light sanding would work and maybe a paint of some kind. Mine are not to the point yet of needing repair, but I am already thinking about what to do when the time comes.

Later
                        Wes
                        ------------------------Wes Fenton------------------------
                        No longer a probe owner, but I'm still a probe enthusiast!
                        ----------I can't believe I made it to 9 Myrtles!!!----------

Comment

What is you did some light sanding, and found some kind of plaster cloth or something, put a layer or two of that on, sanded it so its smooth, then maybe another layer and sand, and then paint it. Would that work?

Comment

im thinking use that acrylic body filler for real small touch up, sand, and paint. You can use that stuff on anything from my experiences
                            "Street Rod" 1993 Ford Probe MTX
                            "Grape Crush" 1995 Ford Probe GT MTX

Comment

I, like many and you, have the same problem on my 6. Cant figure a way to cure it...but havent tried many possibilities yet. Its a pia, tho.
                              'Those who dont hear the music, think the dancer is mad...'
                              http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...il.php?id=6166

Comment

Working...
                              X