Speedometer cable assembly info:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer cable assembly info:

This thread is to serve as an information piece and to share others' experience regarding the speedometer assembly.

Just this last weekend, I replaced my speedo cable, both top and bottom pieces, because the needle was beginning to bounce bad and that ususally means that it is going to freeze. The bottom piece is an easy unscrew, remove, replace, and tighten process. The top piece is very difficult. Removing the steering wheel, the cluster panel, the surrounding panels, and to help make the install easier--the cluster assembly. This is where it gets harder- blindly guiding the cable from the engine compartment to the back of the gauge cluster/speedo. I must have left blood all over the place! This was a process that really promotes the idea of bloody knuckles when working on a car!

Just a hint, reaching the cables in the engine compartment is easier if you remove the intake assembly (VAF, TB boot). The cable drive gear has one 10mm bolt securing it and just pulls out of the tranny. And dont bother lifting the car to do the work from underneath the car (for lower assembly).

Anyways, here is the price break down and some random knowledge:

Upper cable: ~$45.00
    Lower cable: ~$42.00
    Cable drive gear (white or blue with 21 teeth): ~$35.00

If anyone has similar experience or anything to add...
    Pr0n - my Anti-Drug.
    1G FAQ - A MUST READ for 1G's! ~ 1990 PGL = WRECKED! & Sold! ~ 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring
    "Let me hear you make decisions without your television."

Enjoy PT? Support it.

Done it already have fun on the GT though more crap in your way and bigger tranny. The problem might be just the stuipd Gear. i had the gear shaft snap and the gear feel into the tranny.

Comment

To add:
      If you don't want to go through with all the trouble and expense of replacing parts, you may be able to quiet a noisy speedo cable/jumpy needle by lubricating the cable at the middle joint near the fire wall. I used white lithium grease and silicone lubricant about a year ago and haven't had any problems since.

Comment

ok, can someone tell me what the problem with mine is? while accelerating fast and hard, my speedo needle hangs at 60 mph mark and after a few seconds, would shoot to whatever the correct speed is is that the gear or cable?

Comment

Originally posted by 89TurboGT
          ok, can someone tell me what the problem with mine is? while accelerating fast and hard, my speedo needle hangs at 60 mph mark and after a few seconds, would shoot to whatever the correct speed is is that the gear or cable?
          mine did that on humidy days then all of sudden it droped and the gear broke.

Comment

The speedometer driven gear actually consists of several parts: The housing, gear itself, oil seal, o-ring, and lock pin. It cost me about $50 for all this at the mazda dealer. What happened was I overtightened the bolt that holds the gear into the transmission, and the tab on the housing snapped. Anyone who is doing this work, don't overtighten this bolt! Also remove the TB boot as anomaly said to access the speedo gear from up top.

Comment

Its easy when u have it on a hoist u can reach the cable from under the vehicle. Had to fill trans haha stupid design

Comment

Originally posted by KaayooN
                Its easy when u have it on a hoist u can reach the cable from under the vehicle. Had to fill trans haha stupid design
                Actually that is a good design. All you need is a long funnel and you can fill it from the top. Have you ever tried filling a second gen GT tranny? Their fill hole is on the side. Now thats a stupid design.

As for my speedo cable, it has been fine for most of its life. Yeah, on rare occations it will have that wobbly-ness to it, but it only lasts for a few minutes. And just like Julio, my speedo cant keep up with my car. It gets a little slow then jumps to the correct speed (I noticed this at the track a lot). But that can also be attributed to the indiglos that I have. For some reason all your gauges move just the slightest bit slower with indiglos.
                1999 Chevy Tracker (daily driver)
                1966 Ford Mustang (the neverending project)
                1998 Yamaha FZR600 (track bike)
                2004 Suzuki GSXR750

Comment

your car is way too fast man, the speedo just cant keep up with it I think if you tossed your hybrid turbo my way that would slow it down enough for the speedo to keep up to the car

Comment

Originally posted by SilverStreak91PGL
                    your car is way too fast man, the speedo just cant keep up with it I think if you tossed your hybrid turbo my way that would slow it down enough for the speedo to keep up to the car
                    yeah right i wished that was the problem but unfortunately it was doing the same thing even with the stock turbo.. but thanks

Comment

yeah right i wished that was the problem but unfortunately it was doing the same thing even with the stock turbo.. but thanks
                      hey im just trying to help you out.....it is all for the good of your car

Comment

Working...
                      X