This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 97pGT
    Dude that sucks ..... even w/ a test pipe ..

Best bet .. Sell the cams to some one , i think ur car is just rejecting them
    Best bet right now is to wait till after the dyno.
    I don't post here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by 97pGT
      Dude that sucks ..... even w/ a test pipe ..

Best bet .. Sell the cams to some one , i think ur car is just rejecting them
      I have a feeling that his knock sensor gets triggered, and retards timming 4 degrees thru the whole curve.

Stingray, when you disconnect the battery, and clear all codes (depressing on the brake pedal for about a minute), does your car feel much stronger than before?
      1994 PGT with ZE engine and cams, 184whp and stock idle
      NEW!!!!!
      1995 PGT with ZE engine, special cams, reworked ZE IM, reworked pacesseter headers, 2.5" exhaust, megasquirt, 224whp at 7400rpms, idle 825rpms

1999 civic si with K24A2 engine, should produce close to 250-265whp in natural aspiration on a Dynojet

Comment

• With 94 octane? Every time i have dyno'ed and gone to the track i have put in 94 octane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stingray77
          With 94 octane? Every time i have dyno'ed and gone to the track i have put in 94 octane.
          Yes, I understand but have you ever disconnected the battery to clear the ECU, and see what happens to the engine attitude. It only take two minutes and a 5 minute test drive to find out. You have nothing to loose.
          NEW!!!!!
          1995 PGT with ZE engine, special cams, reworked ZE IM, reworked pacesseter headers, 2.5" exhaust, megasquirt, 224whp at 7400rpms, idle 825rpms

1999 civic si with K24A2 engine, should produce close to 250-265whp in natural aspiration on a Dynojet

Comment

• Last time i reset the PCM was thursday or friday. After installing the test pipe my power was horrible, i also noticed that my A/F gauge was bouncing back and forth very rapidly... after about 10-15min it settled down back to normal and the power was better. Was it better then right before installing the test pipe, hard to say. I figurged the PCM corrected it self, but i decided to reset the PCM just incase. After reseting i usually let the engine idle till it is warmed up and then ground the pins to give things a quick once over then let it idle for 5-10 and shut it off or take it for a normal drive for about 10-20 min. After that i give it hell.

Comment

• The ECU (PCM) is not learning properly from the description you give. The ECU must go through a DRIVE CYLCE after a hard reset (disconecting the battery). The Drive Cylce can take as much as 48 hours to complete, in some case it can take longer. It is best to drive normal, not grandma style just normal speed in stopand go traffic with a little highway drive.

Then let her rip.

I like Mikes Knock Sensor theory, Im going to explore this one deeper.
              Rick_96PGTâ„¢ #62
              "I never apologize.
              I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am."
              - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick_96PGT
                I like Mikes Knock Sensor theory, Im going to explore this one deeper.
                How do you figure? I know of ze engines running 94 octane with more agressive grinds. I highly doubt my 03 will be triggering my knock sensor. And no, i have no cel's.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikeseli

As for the other PGT had the following mods when he got 171whp, 155lb-ft: HS headers, HS CAI, flowmaster muffler, 2.5" cat converter, ZE IM, ZE VRIS points, and my cams.

The following changes where done and got 184whp and 162lb-ft: resonator to replace cat converter, replaced flowmaster with a 2.25" magnaflow muffler.

Remeber he doesn't have a bore TB, and a FPR and a 190lph fuel pump yet.
                  Well this is what i got today, only change was stock cat to 2.5" testpipe, and i ground down the inner weld between the flange and flex pipe.
                  153.4tq, 171.5whp
                  still low, seeing that i am using a 2.5 test pipe, 2.5 mandrel bent piping, and a magnaflo stright through muffler. Also ported and polished intake manifold, coned throttle body, and butterly shafts ground down.
                  I know not every engine will put out the same numbers but seeing that my intake and exhaust are less restrictive i should be putting out the same power or higher.
                  i'll post the plots tomorrow

nitrous numbers are still impressive, 248.2tq, 247.3whp, i am sure if i let the engine cool down a bit and had the bottle pressure i could have broken 250whp/tq

EDIT
                  I thought he was using the stock exhaust manifolds, not headers... well this seems a bit more reasonable now. My power is still peaking around 6300rpm, not 6700rpm

Comment

• Another dyno comparision.

http://www.insanitation.com/images/dyno-compare1.jpg

I compared Stingray dyno with regrinded cams with my dyno with regrinded cams. I posted it not long ago in the performance forum.

You can notice how my engine takes off at 4500 rpm.
                    I have stock exhaust with testipe, but have 64 mm TB and ported head and also shaved to 9.7:1 compression. On KL engine.

But then my engine torque goes downward after 5000 rpm while the other continues to 6000 rpm. This must be the ZE intake manifold and better sized exhaust.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vseved
                      Another dyno comparision.

http://www.insanitation.com/images/dyno-compare1.jpg

I compared Stingray dyno with regrinded cams with my dyno with regrinded cams. I posted it not long ago in the performance forum.

You can notice how my engine takes off at 4500 rpm.
                      I have stock exhaust with testipe, but have 64 mm TB and ported head and also shaved to 9.7:1 compression. On KL engine.

But then my engine torque goes downward after 5000 rpm while the other continues to 6000 rpm. This must be the ZE intake manifold and better sized exhaust.
                      I've never understood why Stingray engine lacks some torque between 4500-6500rpms, it's missing a good 10lb-ft.

I wonder if his VRIS are completly open or their partially open. I know that he has one zip tied, but the other one is opened using a ground signal.
                      NEW!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mikeseli

I wonder if his VRIS are completly open or their partially open. I know that he has one zip tied, but the other one is opened using a ground signal.
                        How many times do i have to tell you they are zip tied open. I have only used the ground switch on 4 dyno pulls, the switch controlls both solenoids. I have not bothered to experiment with it untill i get this problem with your cams resolved. All the plots from Forrest and Forrest are consistant, VRIS ZIP TIED OPEN! This way everything is the same, rims, fuel pressure, vris, dyno, etc...

Comment

• Stingray77, do you have a ZE IM? Your plot looks Identical to what mine was with the both VRIS tied open. It was strange because I could feel the car pull all the way to red line. when I looked at my plot it was the gradual slope up. I reconnected my VRIS still using the 03 points on my ZE IM. The car didnt feel as fast because I would loose power after about 5500 rpm. When I took it to the dyno with the VRIS functioning the curve was back to normal peaking at about 5500 and dropped off at about the right rpm. it also gave me back 15 more HP. I dont have any cams but my best run so far is 159 hp. Is it possible that the VRIS is your problem?
                          My SRT-4
                          Sold, My Turbo 2g MX6

Comment

• Stingray-
                            The knock sensor thing makes sense if you really think into it..

You pulled low 170s on an all motor ZE with in all reality a LOW amount of bolt ons.. There are not THAT many people on the board that pull those kinf of numbers... there are guys with much more bolt ons with a ZE(compression, lower miles/wear) that arent putting down those kind of numbers..

If you grabbed a set of Brospeed headers, I could see you pushing the 180 whp mark with just that upgrade..

You have to look at what Mike said about the exhaust pull.. Ever heard a Probe with headers? If you listen close, you can actually hear the header "SUCKING" air.. You cant hear that on stock manifolds.. I would try some headers and be very happy that your putting down 170 something hp to the wheels on a 03 block and head thats stock..

Keep bangin away at it.. We all appreciate the work your putting in.. Even if some of us havent acted like it..
                            Lexus GS 400 (Built) - For Sale
                            Viper RT 10 - white

Comment

• Originally posted by Drag On
                              Stingray-
                              The knock sensor thing makes sense if you really think into it..
                              No it doesn't, there is no evidence on the plot of the knock sensor acting up. The theory is not correct.

You pulled low 170s on an all motor ZE with in all reality a LOW amount of bolt ons.. There are not THAT many people on the board that pull those kinf of numbers... there are guys with much more bolt ons with a ZE(compression, lower miles/wear) that arent putting down those kind of numbers..
                              03 pistons, 03 heads, regound cams, eunos manifold, I don't have a ZE.

If you grabbed a set of Brospeed headers, I could see you pushing the 180 whp mark with just that upgrade..
                              Hotshots are on their way.

You have to look at what Mike said about the exhaust pull.. Ever heard a Probe with headers? If you listen close, you can actually hear the header "SUCKING" air.. You cant hear that on stock manifolds.. I would try some headers and be very happy that your putting down 170 something hp to the wheels on a 03 block and head thats stock..
                              Look at the thinkness of the tubing used for headers and look at the thinkness of and exhaust manifold. Its easier to hear through something thinner and less solid. If I wanted to hit 170+ at the wheels i could have just bought a test pipe in the first place and not even bothered with the cams.

Keep bangin away at it.. We all appreciate the work your putting in.. Even if some of us havent acted like it..
                              I am just making my results known, i hope people can appreciate the time money and effort i am putting into this.

Comment

• Here are the latest polts, i forgot to get them scanned.
                                n/a
                                http://www.insanitation.com/images/selitpna.jpg

run 8, purple/lt blue: this is selis cams with stock cat

run 5, red/pink: ze cams, stock cat

run 15, green/black: seli cams with tespipe

As you can @ 4200rpm i start making the exact same power as the ze cams, then @ 5300rpm my power extends ove the ze cams.

55 shot
                                http://www.insanitation.com/images/selitp55.jpg

here is the diffrence between stock cat and test tipe with a 55 shot of nitrous

Comment

Working...
                                X