Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megasquirt BB #3 - V3 Boards, Coil Packs, Plug n Play

Approved by Stacey @ MM8

For those who don’t know Megasquirt in its most BASIC form is a standalone fuel computer that grants users full control over the fuel curves and allows use of different injectors for boosted people. With modification, the Megasquirt unit can be converted from a basic fuel computer into a complete standalone engine management system that rival most existing high priced units out there.

Through this bulk buy you will be able to purchase a customized Megasquirt unit for your application and only pay the costs associated with those options.

As this is our third bulk buy we have learned what options people commonly desire and have come up with a product considerably different than our previously offered “Packaged Unit” that we believe will offer the highest compatibility, reliability, and usability over any other Megasquirt units built for a probe, even those offered in our previous bulk buys.

Our new “Packaged Unit” offers full 1993-1997 Ford Probe GT compatibility. What is different from most units offered is that ZERO modifications to the car are necessary in order to run Megasquirt. No cutting of teeth on the crankshaft pulley, no swapping 95-7 disty’s with a 93-4 disty, no 36-1 trigger wheels. And even better; a properly tuned unit WILL be emissions compliant! So for those of you with strict emissions laws you should be able to have the benefits of programmable fuel and ignition control alongside the ability to pass your E-tests! We have spent a long time developing these features and have fit it all into a very competitively priced package.

The new packaged units make use of the factory ECU, and require only minimal wiring to install. This means that the factory ECU can be left in the car to control emissions functions (EGR, evaporative emissions, etc…) as well as idle, vris, fans, and all of the other ancillary functions that the stock ECU does so well. This will eliminate the issues some have had with idle control when using Megasquirt, as well as free up potential outputs on the unit since the stock ECU controls fans and vris.

This means the stock ECU is left to do what it does best, and the Megasquirt is left to do what it does BETTER. Which is fully programmable control over fuel and spark, as well as the optional programmable outputs, which include water injection, nitrous, launch control, etc (more on that later).

AND FOR THE FIRST TIME! COIL PACK IGNITION CONTROL IS AN OPTION!

Coil pack ignition allows for ample dwell time between each spark even at high engine speeds. Traditional distributed spark ignition systems have 1 coil that provides spark for all 6 cylinders. The drawback here is that at high rpm the coil doesn’t have enough time between each adjacent spark to fully charge, thus causing a reduction in spark voltage. This can cause spark to blow out at higher rpm, especially with modified engines that are turbocharged or run nitrous. A coil pack ignition system has three coils, meaning each coil does 1/3rd the work and has 3x the time to charge between each spark. This type of an ignition system is capable of developing the same high power spark at all engine rpm’s even with a larger more efficient spark plug gap (Ryan was running 0.060” plug gap and at 15psi boost without issue). These things combined will also help you develop better engine response through the rpm range and higher efficiency as well, with proper tuning this will lead not only to better performance, but better fuel economy as well.

Some information on the new units:

- All new units will be built using the NEW Version 3 Megasquirt PCB.
    - Onboard MAP sensor for NA or boosted engines up to 21psi!
    - Up rated Flyback circuitry is now built in so you can use any injector - High or Low impedance.
    - Log data on your laptop for later analysis.
    - Tuning software is free for download and regularly updated with new features.
    - Open Source design - all code and hardware information is available online.
    - All automotive temperature grade components for increased reliability.
    - Added current limiting circuitry to provide increased fault tolerance.
    - All units will use the Megasquirt I processor (which at this time offers more features than the Megasquirt II processor)
    - All units will come with a Probe specific modified version of the latest stable MSNS-Extra code version.

WHAT YOU GET AND FOR HOW MUCH

For $330

You will get a fully assembled Megasquirt unit that is compatible with 1993-1997 Ford Probe GT/MX-6 LS, that DOES NOT require any modifications to the engine, and WILL be emissions compliant (once properly tuned). Other than wiring the unit (Connector will be included), no other modifications will be necessary to have fully laptop programmable fuel and ignition control. The unit will be able to control any size and type injectors (you are no longer held to the high impedance injector requirement) and the unit will control any year KL v6 engine with its original distributor. Ancillary functions such as fan control, evap. emissions control, idle control, air conditioning compressor activation, etc… are left to for the stock ECU to control. Keep in mind this is NOT a piggyback system. Piggyback systems modify ECU inputs to change the ECU outputs, and thus still fall prey to the limitations of the stock ECU’s inability to understand boost; among other things. Megasquirt will be fully controlling the two LARGEST functions of engine control, FUEL and SPARK, and therefore retains its status as a standalone engine management system.

For $390

You will get basically the same thing above, EXCEPT, it will include the ability to control coil packs. Since the stock ECU is left in place it will be necessary to retain the BASE of the stock distributor. That is you can remove the disty cap and rotor, remove the ignition coil, and put a cap over the base of the disty to gain a bit more clearance in the area of the distributor. The cam sensor in the disty is needed to avoid CEL, maintain emissions compliance, and is actually used by the Megasquirt as well as a secondary engine reference position input. This allows the Megasquirt to determine which coil should fire next, and will allow for flawless startup every time (a problem that has prevented us from offering a coil pack Megasquirt solution until now). You will be responsible for wiring in the Megasquirt, and sourcing/mounting the coil pack, but aside from that no engine modifications will be necessary again. NO need for custom mounted trigger wheels, no need for special new sensors or additional external control modules. This system is NOT based on the FORD EDIS system many have talked about, it is better. This system allows for MS programmability, and proper rev limiting, spark cut, and launch control. The Ford EDIS system will continue to spark even if the Megasquirt tells it not to.

Very specific coil pack wiring/install instructions will be included. You can use stock plug wires provided you mount the packs close enough to the engine.

Additional Info:

Some of you may have noticed, this system talks about fuel and spark control, what about the other things that the old packaged unit used to include… such as idle control, the programmable outputs, dual O2 compensation circuitry, fan control, etc.
    Last edited by shaodome; December 15, 2005, 09:42 PM.
    I believe in moderation and that includes moderation.
    92 Lexus SC300 - 780whp/700tq 36+ psi

Well… First off, the new Version 3 PCB is quite a bit more expensive than the old PCB, but we believe the benefits in reliability, and future expandability to be worth it. And frankly the additional features available on the Version 3 PCB are what has allowed us to offer the coil pack version as cheaply as we have. That said; we wanted to keep the price as cheap as possible. This is one of the reasons we have brought the stock ECU back into the equation. The stock ECU controls VRIS, controls fans, controls idle etc… thus making the respective outputs that were available on packaged units in previous bulk buys unnecessary.

Therefore, aside from the ignition control which all of our units will come with, and dual O2 sensor support which all V6 units will come with, no additional outputs will be included for the base prices above, and will instead be offered as options that you can add to the base prices.

So… for a list of options:

$25 - Launch Control
    $15 - each or $40 for 3 - Up to 3 programmable outputs
    $15 – Fan Relay Control
    $25 - Switchable Tables
    $15 - PWM Idle to control stock IAC
    $25 – Water Injection
    $40 - Nitrous Control

Go to: http://megasquirt.sf.net/extra for detailed info on the options.

Installation helpers:

$30 – Assembled wiring harness: Custom made, color coded, and labeled pigtail wiring harness.
    $225 – You mail us your factory ECU, we dismantle it, cut/splice/have our way with it, and return it to you with a MS attached to the bottom. This means PLUG AND PLAY folks! You will not have to cut or splice any wires at all, just remove your ECU and put this one in its place and BAM… you’re Megasquirted just like that. This will only be available at this price for people who purchase their Megasquirt through this bulk buy.

Further on the packages:

For those of you that shrug off the factory ECU, another “get rid of the stock ECU” package is available.

For $70

We will add idle control, fan control, bias resistors for non-tapped stock sensors, 2 programmable outputs for vris or whatever, and launch control (an $85 value).

Ordering & Shipping

If you are interested in participating in this BB, please email your order to: Megasquirtbb@bellsouth.net
    You must include the following information in your email:

FIRST NAME
    LAST NAME
    SHIPPING ADDRESS
    CONTACT EMAIL
    MAKE/MODEL/YEAR OF CAR
    PT NAME

MEGASQUIRT OPTIONS WANTED

EXAMPLE: WHICH BASIC UNIT, SPARK, LAUNCH, 2 PROGRAMABLE OUTPUTS, FAN CONTROL

At the end of your email, please include a description of your car and its current modifications in order to make sure the preloaded map will best suit your needs.

Since Ryanpzz and I are splitting the workload for building the units 50/50 it will effect who you send payment to. All initial correspondence can be done through the email address: Megasquirtbb@bellsouth.net. After I receive your order, I will respond with payment instructions for your deposit and final payment. PLEASE do not send any money until you hear back from Ryan or myself.

Turn around time will be approximately six weeks (depending on options) and the shipping cost is a flat $15 via USPS Priority Mail Insured.

Payment
    All orders will require a $195 + the cost of your options as a deposit before it will be processed the remaining balance will be due upon completion.

Payments will be made VIA Paypal, or check/mo.
    If you prefer to send a check/mo please contact me prior to doing so.

Deposit is NOT refundable. Final payment is expected within 2 weeks of being notified your unit is complete. Failure to pay within the 2 week period of time will result in forfeiture of your position in line, as all orders are filled in the order they are placed.

Additional parts required
    In addition to the Megasquirt unit, unless you leave your VAF (why??) in place you will need to purchase an IAT sensor (intake air temp) from a local auto parts store. Part numbers can be found here: http://www.Megasquirt.info/manual/mwire.htm#clt

Prices are only about $10-$20 for the sensor and its harness…..no big deal.

Ryan and I are in no way liable for any damage or laws you may break while using/installing a Megasquirt unit. You choose to do so under your own risk and accept all responsibility for your actions

I know it is a lot of stuff to read, but please do and do so carefully.
    Last edited by shaodome; December 16, 2005, 05:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

1) To run coilpacks, what else do we need to buy additionally?

2) What coilpacks do we need to buy?

3) Since this needs to be spliced in, do you have a pic to show us how it looks once it is all installed?

-Jeff
      Last edited by shadetree93pgt; December 15, 2005, 10:24 PM.

Comment

I'm in, but not sure wich combo I'll go with Any suggestions would be appreciated

engine mods I currently have;

KLZE MS8 "bent neck" IM & TB
        KLDE block and heads
        Outlaw Engineering Thermoblock spacers
        M45 clutched SC
        230 SLK intercooler
        Directhits 500x
        MSD 6BTM
        Blaster 2 coil
        Colt Cams turbo/SC regrinds
        Cartech FMU
        Permacool dual oil filtration
        Toga High Volume oil pump
        Walbro 255lph fuel pump
        Griffin Scirocco Radiator
        Pacesetter headers
        Greddy cat back

that should be everything engine wise IF this helps with what I should get. I really like the coilpack idea but am not sure what all I'll need for that as well.

thanks for getting this BB started

Comment

To run coil packs you need to purchase a coilpack. I recommend the EDIS packs because they are very cheap and easy to find. Came on just about every v6 ford through the nineties. Make sure to get the plug for yoru coil packs as well because you will need to run 4 wire back to your megasquirt. I will post the instructions for the coil packs today.

You will also have to fabricate some sort of bracket that must be mounted to your engine. I will take some pics for you guys tonigh.

Rob,

You already have an aftermarket ignition, so might as well keep it. I'd go with the $330 package + wiring harness. You obviously don't need VRIS control.

Comment

could you please post up a pic of your MS that you spliced into the ecu harness?

I am having a hard time understanding. (is it soldered into the actual ecu, or is it spliced into the wiring harness?) im a visual kinda person

I will definitely be in for a coilpack setup tho
            -Jeff
            Last edited by shadetree93pgt; December 16, 2005, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Pics will be available later next week.

Unfortunately my computer here (clearwater florida) crashed and took everything with it. My backups are in Michigan, and I will be in michigan thursday/friday of next week.

Some have noticed my website is also down... It will be for a bit, but I'm workin on something else

Comment

Originally posted by shaodome
                To run coil packs you need to purchase a coilpack. I recommend the EDIS packs because they are very cheap and easy to find. Came on just about every v6 ford through the nineties. Make sure to get the plug for yoru coil packs as well because you will need to run 4 wire back to your megasquirt. I will post the instructions for the coil packs today.

You will also have to fabricate some sort of bracket that must be mounted to your engine. I will take some pics for you guys tonigh.

Rob,

You already have an aftermarket ignition, so might as well keep it. I'd go with the $330 package + wiring harness. You obviously don't need VRIS control.
                Thanks for your help. So if I go coil packs I'd have to get rid of my MSD 6BTM? wouldn't it be even better to get a coilpack MSD instead? Just curious but why do you say I don't need VRIS control? The buterflys are still there and not tied open. My SC is'nt hooked up yet but will be shortly after I get my cams. Being that I'm running a M45, most of the time it will be off. so wouldn't I want VRIS control to open them when the SC is turned on? This MS stuff is all very new to me, I know I need it and want it, just don't know much about it. I watched and helped Mac1 mess around with his but that's about all I know about it.

thanks again,
                Last edited by Robot#666; December 16, 2005, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I didn't realize you were going clutched...then yeah, VRIS control could be a viable option to you. As for the MSD Coilpacks, you can do that as well if you wish, but gains probably won't be that much from standard packs. I said to keep ur MSD stuff because it is already there. Adding the packs and ditching the blaster coil/msd won't gain you all that much.

Comment

i'm a newb, but switchable tables? what's that?

And also, if i get the $330 setup, and add the NO ECU Pack, can i still add a Nitrous Control or a 3rd Output at the prices listed above?

gettin excited!
                    BC Probe Owners Club is VERY MUCH ALIVE - www.bcpoc.ca
                    93 PGT 2.5L SILVER - Stock DE, ZE Intake Manifold, T3/T4 .50/.63 AR Turbo, Valant Turbo Pipes, Tial 38mm Wastegate (~9PSI), Custom Water/Meth Injection, Megasquirt v3 (MSnS-Extra 029q2 Fuel/Spark), Millennia Injectors @ 70psi, 65mm TB, JJ Resonated TP, Centerforce DF Clutch, MX3 Flywheel, AWR Mounts, it begins all over again...
                    93 PGT 2.5L BLACK Dismantled
                    GARAGE - The hybrid with a piston hole... lots of various leftovers...

Comment

Originally posted by Xplode
                      switchable tables? what's that?
                      it means that if you plan on running say 8 psi on the street, and 15 on the track, you just switch the table(fuel/ignition table) over to the boost level you will be running.

Comment

Yeah..switchable tables is beneficial for things like n2o or if using race gas at the track. The normal table is more than enough for tooling around on the street up to 20psi though.

You can add the n2o and the 3rd output at those prices, yes.

Comment

I didn't realize you were going clutched...then yeah, VRIS control could be a viable option to you. As for the MSD Coilpacks, you can do that as well if you wish, but gains probably won't be that much from standard packs. I said to keep ur MSD stuff because it is already there. Adding the packs and ditching the blaster coil/msd won't gain you all that much.
                          Okay. So I can keep my MSD 6BTm and blaster coil and still have coil packs?

Originally posted by shadetree93pgt
                          it means that if you plan on running say 8 psi on the street, and 15 on the track, you just switch the table(fuel/ignition table) over to the boost level you will be running.

so would this be the same for when I'm running boost or no boost? If so I'll want that as well.
                          Last edited by Robot#666; December 16, 2005, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Rob,

I think we have some confusion going on. I thought u mean the MSD coilpacks. They sell their own models (similar to adding a blaster coil for standard KLs). There would be no reason to keep your current MSD and the coilpacks. You can't run both at the same time.

As for switchable tables, there is enough resolution in a 12X12 table to accomodate on/off boost performance just fine. If you really want the Switch Tables they can be added.

Comment

Rob,

I think we have some confusion going on. I thought u mean the MSD coilpacks. They sell their own models (similar to adding a blaster coil for standard KLs). There would be no reason to keep your current MSD and the coilpacks. You can't run both at the same time.

As for switchable tables, there is enough resolution in a 12X12 table to accomodate on/off boost performance just fine. If you really want the Switch Tables they can be added.
                              that clears some things up thanks. So in your opinon what would be better keep my MSD 6btm or switch to coil packs? As for the switchable tables I'm going to mostlikely add that.

Comment

Working...
                              X