This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Race on the street? Read.

2 nights ago i was laying in bed and some kids were racing up my road and all i heard of it were their loud ass mufflers then a long ass skidding noise then goosh goosh goosh
    the car flipped rolled over the other car and landed in my driveway (i didnt know this until i got up there)
    i ran downstairs woke my dad up and we both ran up our drive way
    both people were ok (some scratches and bruises)
    but both cars were seriously messed up
    a total of 6 mail boxes were missing and half a fence was gone
    this all because 2 kids decided to race and they went to fast into this turn
    granted the road was wet but they should nevr have done this
    i used to race every one in a while but after some close calls ive quit
    and i dont regret it one bit
    im prefectly happy with knowing i can go to a track
    but what i think makes peoplerace is tracks

like some tracks have so many requirment and regulations you have to wait like 5 hours and go through expections to even be able to take one run on the track
    and i think thats why people resort to this sorta thing
    I build buildings and am damn proud of it
    Red 94gt
    Installed: borla cat-back, custom intake, custom test pipe, civic STS, complete ZE IM and TB, JE50 VAF

Comment

all you gotta do is go through inspection and you can race There's not that much to do......

kids do it cause they're stupid
      --MJ--
      --2006 Ford Fusion I4 SE--Tungsten Silver--6 Speed Auto--

Comment

PEOPLE do it because it's an adrenaline rush and it's free, you can do it with any car against anyone anywhere for nothing except the chance of a ticket and fine.

If there were more tracks cheaper and closer so people could go race 'for real' then this wouldn't happen.
        Owner of more cars than I can count. Mostly probes and various turbo vehicles.

Ask Questions. Make your own decisions.
        Oh, and Search

Comment

Correction.. If people were smarter, cared about others lives, and cared about there own lives, they would go race on a track. Instead they believe that there own lives, and the lives of those around them are not valuable, or are not as important as a moronic rush. And then people like me lose a friend to a asshole with a car. And yes my previous statements were harsh, but I view someone who kills someone else street racing, as someone JUST as bad a murderer. I KNOW what its like to lose a young friend to ANOTHER persons stupidity. Street racers need to grow up, learn maturity and responsiblity, and go to a track, and tough out a drive, and a lil money. If you cannot afford it, then you cannot afford the ticket you will eventually get, and the impound fees....

Trevor

Originally posted by Sphinx Munkey
          PEOPLE do it because it's an adrenaline rush and it's free, you can do it with any car against anyone anywhere for nothing except the chance of a ticket and fine.

If there were more tracks cheaper and closer so people could go race 'for real' then this wouldn't happen.
          Got boost?
          2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #695
          Few tweaks but effectively stock. Going over two weeks without repairs... so amazing.

Comment

yes, on the interstate at 3.00 in the morning on a long deserted strip of road where there are no people no cars not even deer, i believe it is perfectly fine and just as safe as a track without the 75 mile drive 3 hour wait and 15$ to run once down a 1/4 mile strip.
            Owner of more cars than I can count. Mostly probes and various turbo vehicles.

Ask Questions. Make your own decisions.
            Oh, and Search

Comment

street racing is NEVER and will NEVER be as safe or safer then a race track.....on a drag strip you have EMS crews, barriers, and nothing in your way.

Try to say the same thing about a road.

If kids were smarter they wouldn't street race; its simple logic.
              --MJ--

Comment

Originally posted by desertfox1313
                Street racers need to grow up, learn maturity and responsiblity, and go to a track, and tough out a drive, and a lil money. If you cannot afford it, then you cannot afford the ticket you will eventually get, and the impound fees....
                [Pauly Shore] Good one buuuuuuuuuuuddy! [/Pauly Shore]
                --MJ--

Comment

I find that the majority of people who street race are careful drivers because they are inherently afraid of cops, yet people who race on the track drive balls to the wall in normal settings. I race on the street and at the track, but in traffic I do drive with curteousy. The biggest killers on the road today arent teenage ricer street racers like the older generation wants to blame, its the drunks and soccer moms not paying attention. Today I borrowed my friends bike to ride around in the nice weather. comming to a stop sign a lady in an expedidtion cut in front of me while i was going about 45 and slammed on her brakes. I hit mine, and backed up a little. She then let me pass and got behind me only to a mile on down the road rear end my friends bike. We pulled into the gas station and she got out. She looked like one of those stuck up types who married some rich guy and now spends his money on all sorts of things...average soccer mom. So she starts to tell me how I dont know my bike is too loud for her kids and it distracted her or somthing. Being myself I didnt say a word, i just opened my backpack, got out my notebook and wrote down her license plate. I asked her name, she said why..."Because you hit my bike and could have killed me had you been going any faster, caused me to fall and scrape myself up and you have no regard for human life. I believe you need to put down the cell phone, throw away the coffee and pay more attention to who is on the road and what you are doing rather than if starbucks gave you the right blend. Now you can give me your name or I can have the police run your plates and issue a warrant." She proceded to start to yell and scream at me when a police officer pulled in and got the report. Its people like this that make the streets dangerous. Sorry, rant. BTW: apparently in missouri a bike to car accident that causes injury (my hands feel weird) allows me to press charges of attempted man slaughter...i dont know if its worth it.

Comment

damn, I wouldn't have even posted but I just can't stand the people that drive around like there is noone else on the road, I deal with that crap everyday and I am all to often tempted to just run them off the road... I know that wouldn't fix anything but damn if it wouldn't make me feel better. now people driving talking on there phones is a whole other debate... the other main thing that agravates me about these soccer mom types.. is like when you on a two lane highway and cars are going one speed in the slow lane yet there is always that one freaking person in the passing lane who feels the need to drive exactly the same speed as the slow cars, get the hell outa the fast lane for gods sake. anyways I would press charges, maybe she will actually learn something and then possibly she will tell all her friends and they might also think twice about whether or not they are at home on the couch gabbing or doing 65mph down the freeway lol ..
                    95 se mtx -basic stuff under the hood

Comment

Hmm, I'm willing to bet that more than half the people here who posted against street racing still partake in an impromptu stoplight or on-ramp challenge here & there. Yes it might not be a full quarter-mile or an authentic visit to an organized street race, but you're still guilty of the same thing. Where do you draw the line? You can't. If a full quarter-mile race at an organized street race is bad, then so is a casual race to 60 from a stoplight, or a freeway roll-on, or trying to keep up with someone on a twisty road, or trying to out-accelerate someone so that you can cut in front of him and get into the turn lane, or even just going WOT all by yourself on a lonely country road. Of course, the trouble with that theory is that almost everyone on this board, including myself and almost every grown man in real life, even non-enthusiasts, does those things......So I'm gonna call to most people who claim they're innocent and always tell people to take it to the track. Consider what you do and ask yourself if you need to look in the mirror. I know that how I behave on public roads is no better than the average person, in fact it's much worse, so I'm not going to speak out against street racing, since 1) it would be hypocritical, and 2) it IS possible to put together a well-run organized scene with a few key people that you know and in a good location without bystanders, and while it's still not totally safe, it isn't any less safe than the behavior that I listed above. Use your head and evaluate EACH situation as it comes. Don't make blanket statements against other people that don't hold water when you look in the mirror. Sorry for the rambling, but if there's anything I don't like it's hypocrisy.
                      Last edited by Hans[93GT]; March 9, 2004, 12:12 AM.

Comment

werd to ya hans..

I take the normal challenge here an there, I have posted about it..
                        Per what you said Hans, I take each situation for what its worth.. I don't take risks that are far beyond what I can control.. :example:
                        heavey traffic weaveing in an out to race a car that I know I will beat/lose to for no reason...
                        I never drive in heavey traffic raceing.. I have once or twice gone faster then posted speeds in light traffic to get around people. But I don't take it to the extreme like ALOT of people tend to do..

Like the other day, this dude kept getting on my ass. There wasn't really any traffic, but the roads were damp and I had my gf wit me. SO I spee dup just a little , and he stays wit me.. so I get in the other lane that is clear, and he flys up next to me looks at me and then punchs it.. he didn't even look ahead at teh damn truck pulling in his lane.. I was already slowing down, but this dude just kept his eyes on me and didn't pay a bit of attention to anything else... Luckly he noticed the truck at the last minute and swerved over missing the truck by a few feet!

Raceing in general isn't the problem.. The problem is the way people do it. Racing on teh street period is stupid, but if done maturely, it can be safe, but when taken to a personal level and into triple digits , it gets downright retarded. There is no reason to keep on excelerating past 100mphs winnign or loseing. I see this all the time.. THe highest I have taken it up to is 110-115, and I slow down right after.. But the other car keeps going even after they know I slowed down.. I think takeing it to 110on the streets clear or not is a bit much, but thats nothign compared to some of the people I have seen do.. Kids with cars they don't respect and can't handle to people that just don't take things serious enough and or don't pay attention!.. shit like that is what makes any form of driveing raceing DANGEROUS, no matter the speed ...

Comment

just my 2 cents

I sympathize with anyone that has ever lost a friend or loved one due to street racing. I'll admit that when i was 18 I raced a lot, got caught once by the police and $4000 later decided it wasn't worth it. I recently read in a super street magazine that there is an organization called *RASR* Racers against Street Racers. It was started by some of the biggest names in racing history weather from drifting, stock car, drag racing or any of the other ways to race. I signed up threw the magazine, if i find the old edition i'll try and post the info. I've had my close calls with street racing in the past as well, not but 2 weeks ago My Fiance and i were damn near killed by some punk 16 year old in a civic. He thought that since he had a fart can and a big alluminum wing his car was fast. We were travelling to my parents house along route 24 in IL, there are several places on this road that are notorious for racing, in fact this is the same road i was arrested on for drag racing. Any ways, he comes blowing up from behind us, i'm doing about 70 in my GF's 3000gt, he evens up with us and revs his engine up to insane limits, i'm guessing 8k rpm but i'm not a civic lover so i've no clue. I look at the kid and shake my head and laugh, he then tears off in front of me and loosed control while merging into my lane, skidding sideways and spins his car out. I stop to see if he is allright and my GF calls the police. I get the kids door and he's laughing at me saying how fast his car is and how bad he'd smoke me in the 3000gt...one for starters, on a track he'd have a candles chance in hell of beating the GT, but I just asked if he's allright. Two he finds out that she has called the police and FLIPS OUT! the kid starts saying how I "Bumped" his rear bumper cuasing him to spin out. This is beyond insane, no damage or even a mark on my car at all. at this point his car's about 25 feet off the shoulder in a grassy field, so he slams his door and tears out of there spraying her and I with mud and grass, but guess what, just as he did that the county sheriff was just coming down the road. The kid was arrested for drag racing, and charged with quite a few offenses, not sure how many though. the cop took our statements and let us go on our way. Two days ago i saw his obituary in the paper... as if the night in jail didn't cool his jets, he was killed while drag racing a corvette. he ran head long into an oncoming semi that was hauling scrap iron. I saw a picture of the kids car later that day... i couldn't believe it was even a car... Point is...Street racing kills. plain and simple. And all those kids out there who do it give guys like us, who enjoy building the cars up, slapping body kits on em and such a bad rap becuase we get dubbed.."Ricers" I only hope that with getting the word out about the danger's involved in this "sport" will help to cur-tail some of these events and get the next guy to give racing that car a second thought... When you race and wreck... your more then likely just not hurting your car or the other guys car... people do have families.

Anyways my rants over there's my story.

Squid

Comment

the sad part of your story is that it has a happy ending.... if he had hit something other then a semi the other person probably would have died as well....

Whenever we are in our work trucks (semi's or f550's) we actively stop racers, and other hazards with other truckers etc..... its vigilante in some form... but people are out of hand... and I would torture and kill anyone who hurt my family for my gf because they were street racing.... there is not a place for street racing.. final.

Usually when a car tries to street race me i turn somehwere... even a u turn... just to let the prick know i wont waste my gas... i can easily smoke a civic.. or a base stang...why try? so why waste gas...
                            I know many still street race.... but if you are near me... i promise i will do all i can to stop you.... btw i am a police volunteer now i am assigned to traffic to help combat street racing....

If you hate street racing consider volunteering for the police... there are some good cops there... might as well help them do there job
                            Trevor
                            Got boost?
                            2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #695
                            Few tweaks but effectively stock. Going over two weeks without repairs... so amazing.

Comment

so what does volunteering mean? are you one of those people that just calls the police every time somebody jaywalks? or do you have an active duty assigned to you on a daily basis?
                              95 se mtx -basic stuff under the hood

Comment

sticker

Basically, volunteering gets you a a bumper sticker But i still call the police when i see a race happening, and give them the plate numbers. I know i haven't made to many friends by doing this but I at least hope to justify it by saving a life or two once in a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X