royal purple in tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royal purple in tranny

hey guys i have a buddy that swears by using royal purple gear oil in his transmission, just wondering does anyone out there have any experience with it and is it worth the price

That is the only kind of oil I use in my cars and haven't had any issues. I'm not one to notice little improvements but it's a good brand of oil to use.
    1994 Coral Mist Metallic PGT
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701308460

Comment

fair enough

Comment

yea i love it and thats what i use in my tranny
        95 PGT Current project
        95 PSE swapped in 93 KL...Headers.... K&N cold Air.... Gutted Caged and ready for Dirt
        01 Seabring Convert 01 Neon Rims With Spacers..
        99 Olds Cutlas DD

Comment

Redline MT-90 is what I use.
          1993 PGT-DE-T Silver Surfer - 8psi

1995 PGT Daily Driver - D2's - Turbo kit sitting in garage

1997 F-150 - Home Depot Getter

2004 Acura TSX - Wife Mobile

2007 BMW 335i Coupe - My new toy

Comment

you notice anything with the redline over just standard gear oil

Comment

^^^Yup. Our cars don't use just standard gear oil. We require an opposing viscosity of oil for our differential and our gearbox, yet they obviously share the same case! This is why we have to use an oil that can fulfill the needs of both our gearbox and differential. This is compounded by the fact that we have brass synchros and cannot use an oil that contains sulfur (and most oils do contain sulfur).

Redline MT-90 75w90 is the closest thing to what was used from the factory, and the closest thing to what the dealer would put in it today as well. Royal Purple is a great brand, but Redline is the better choice for this application.

Personally, I have tried most of the different gear oils out there (years ago, while I was trying to figure out why my car wouldn't shift right). Lucas, Mobil1, Royal Purple, Pennzoil, and GM Synchromesh. RP and GM Synchromesh both worked pretty well, but none of them ever worked as well as the Redline, and then I finally read about the reasons (as listed above) why Redline is the stuff to use.

There are plenty of people on here that swear by RP and GM Synchromesh (which will also work), but the fact remains: they just don't work like Redline MT-90 75w90. They are also almost twice the price. So no, it isn't worth the price if you ask me, since it doesn't work as well as the less expensive Redline.
              Last edited by 94mx6lsze; June 6, 2013, 07:51 PM.
              Currently: 1994 MX6 RS - KLZE. Too many mods.

1989 PGT - BLACK - Near perfect paint, body completely straight. 155,967 mi. Sitting in a garage since 2000. Bought for $600. Engine rebuild in progress. Coming soon to a kill story thread near you!!!

Comment

do you order it online or do some performance parts shops have it one hand

Comment

Napa and CarQuest both keep it in stock in my area. If they don't have it, they can usually order it and have it in the same day.
                  Currently: 1994 MX6 RS - KLZE. Too many mods.

1989 PGT - BLACK - Near perfect paint, body completely straight. 155,967 mi. Sitting in a garage since 2000. Bought for $600. Engine rebuild in progress. Coming soon to a kill story thread near you!!!

Comment

sweetness

Comment

Working...
                    X