Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 93 Probe gt and I can fit 6.5" speakers in my front door. I just had to drill the holes in but it fits in with ease.

Comment

on a 89 gt with a factory amplifier, and 6.5's or what ever the stock size is all around.

6.5's fit in the front doors, if you take the door panels off, one the back, holding the factory speaker grilles on, there are four speed nuts.

remove them, and remove the speaker grilles.

now reinstall the door panels, and install your aftermarket speakers. this means using the grilles included with the new speakers.

this gains you room, and wont hit the window mechanism.

for the rear, i cut out 3/4 mdf and put 6x9's for some added bass back there.

depending on exactly where you mount them in the rear. on the back of the panel, there is a lip that would seal up against the factory speaker encloser.

this needs to be trimmed off. a saw and 30 seconds is all thats needed.

so i hope this helps out a little.
      1984 FORD RANGER. 350 HORSE 350 CHEVY SWAP IN PROCESS
      1989 FORD PROBE GT. STOCK FOR NOW, BUT NOT FOR LONG
      1962 CHEVY IMPALA SS. WEEKEND, FUN CAR.

Comment

if needed ill post pics of my setup to help some new ones out.

Comment

6x9's in the rear wont create a quality sound since alot of the speaker will be firing into the back of that side paneling. i put 5x7's, and they almost dont clear all the way.

if your buying for the car, buy one that is a direct fit. unless your just tossing some old stuff you have laying around in. then be ghetto. lol. (i used very thin but dense fiber board to make my adapter.)
          PaTricK
          ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
            6x9's in the rear wont create a quality sound since alot of the speaker will be firing into the back of that side paneling. i put 5x7's, and they almost dont clear all the way.

if your buying for the car, buy one that is a direct fit. unless your just tossing some old stuff you have laying around in. then be ghetto. lol. (i used very thin but dense fiber board to make my adapter.)
            it actually sounds good for what it is.

depends on the way its mounted. and i used 3/4 mdf because i had plenty left from my last subwoofer box. and it fit so i used it.

i did it so the center of the speaker fired into the speaker opening.

it was one of those 89.00 sony packages from wally world.

needed cheap sound. it works for me.

if i had the cash, a pioneer unit in the dash, polk audio 6.5 comps up front, polk 6.5 coax's in the rear. and a memphis amp pushing it all.

but id rather spend the money on performance, than a system.

Comment

i had two sets of infinity 5X7's in my explorer i removed before i traded it in. i mounted a set in the rears in my winter beater lx. not bad. big improvement over the speakers i had with no surround. but now my stock fronts are really lacking. maybe that will be one of the nexts things ill do.
              PaTricK

Comment

im not a big fan of infinity, but thats just my taste.

there frequency responce is like 59-30,000 or something. so they dont have great lows, and there really sharp, too sharp form my taste.

i like smooth highs, crisp mids, and decents lows. i know speakers dont reproduce lows well, but there are speakers that reproduce it rather nicely.

i think we need some members to post up pics of there setups.

Comment

they were free... and its my winter beater. no reason to waste that kind of money when i have 2 running summer cars i use alot more of the year. 626gt has all MB quartz components front and rear, mazda6 has a full JL audio clean sweep set up. both have kinetic HC2400 batteries relocated to the trunk to power the fun stuff in the trunk too.

im actually waiting right now for my kinetik HC800 to arrive tonight for the winter beater probe. then all 3 of my primary vehicles will have kinetiks. and ill offically be done with optima's.
                  PaTricK

Comment

Will putting 6x9's in the rear really reduce my sound quality? If so will it really be noticeable?

~Zax

Comment

if you have the 6x9's just got for it. it sounds fine to me. and im sort of an audiophile. but i wasnt spending 500 for a system, on a 300 dollar car.

if you are going to buy speakers. id recommend 6.5's

and monoxide, if its free, its for me. lol

i hear ya man. performance is more worth it than a sound system.

Comment

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...lx/meet045.jpg

battery came in. was smaller then i had expected. so redid the enitre battery tray, and relocated the fuse box like a foot down from its original location. for being half the size of the optima redtop i originally had. its more powerful, and cranks like a mad man! lol
                        PaTricK

Comment

Originally posted by blackwidow67 View Post
                          if you have the 6x9's just got for it. it sounds fine to me. and im sort of an audiophile. but i wasnt spending 500 for a system, on a 300 dollar car.

if you are going to buy speakers. id recommend 6.5's

and monoxide, if its free, its for me. lol

i hear ya man. performance is more worth it than a sound system.
                          I was planning on 6.5's in the front and 6x9's in the rear

Comment

go 6.5's all around if your going out and buying them. and stick to the same brand to get the most even sound. brand wise, hit up a local audio store, bring a CD you have you know well. and just test listen. not many people do it, but they dont mind at all if you do.
                            PaTricK

Comment

Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
                              go 6.5's all around if your going out and buying them. and stick to the same brand to get the most even sound. brand wise, hit up a local audio store, bring a CD you have you know well. and just test listen. not many people do it, but they dont mind at all if you do.
                              Will the 6.5's fit without any modification?

Comment

quite well actually. just use some high density fiber board from any local hardware store, and make a template with your factory OEM speaker bracket facing down. so you have your basic speaker lay out on fiber board. now when you buy speaker, it should also come with a paper template for that specific speaker. just lay that speaker template on the fiber board and cut it out.

there are also quite a few nice component set ups that utilize a 5.5 or 6 inch woofer, with a Independent tweeter side by side in one piece that fits right into a factory 5x7/6x8 hole. there are some really nice sets of those out there also.
                                PaTricK

Comment

Working...
                                X