Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thread about Cross-pollinating other car's car parts that work on the Probe..........

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can someone confirm if a 2g clutch can be used on a non-turbo 1g? i have been told this twice on mx6.com, but havent come across that info here...

i'm skeptical...
    [x] Turbo (T3/s-60@10 psi) [x] Big Brakes [x] Jspec headlights [x] HID [x] K-Sport Coilovers [x] phantom grip LSD
    [x] liquid/air intercooling [x] erebuni vented hood [x] type 44 kit [x] rare oem lip decklid spoiler [x] extras & misc
    [ ] done....

My complete mods list

Comment

Originally posted by paul95se
      Has anyone tried using a 2nd gen rotor on a first gen?? The sizes aren't identical but they are pretty damn close.
      2nd gen rotors are actually a bit smaller then 1st gen ones
      PaTricK
      ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Goatcrapp
        can someone confirm if a 2g clutch can be used on a non-turbo 1g? i have been told this twice on mx6.com, but havent come across that info here...

i'm skeptical...
        i double checked part #'s, and yes, they are the same between the 1st gen 2.2 non turbo, and the 2nd gen 2.5 v6
        PaTricK

Comment

also the 1st gen 2.2 turbo clutch is the same as the 89-92 rx7 turbo clutch
          PaTricK

Comment

Well this applies to 1gen MX6 but most will apply to the 1gen probe:
            http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120290

I've noticed that there are more "upgrades" that are actually parts for other cars than there are actual aftermarket pieces, so it would make sense to compile this information into one thread. Please, only add parts that you yourself have actually made work, no theoretical upgrades, i.e., "WRX struts LOOK like they might fit".
            ---
            What: Compressor housing/Wheel
            Donor Car: 87-88 Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe (Note, only applies to the IHI turbocharger equipped model)
            Modification required: Adapter plate for compressor housing, plus a silicon reducer to mate it to the IC piping.
            Why: Larger than the stock compressor housing/wheel, produces more power than stocker at same boost level.

What: Upper Intercooler pipe (charge pipe)
            Donor Car: XX-XX Isuzu Impulse turbo
            Modification required: Small section of metal tubing and rubber hose must be used to make the pipe reach the throttle body
            Why: Allows use of 5 dollar garbage disposal rubber boot rather than 90 dollar OEM TB boot.

What: 440cc Injectors
            Donor Car: 87-92 Supra Turbo
            Modification required: 88-89 will require 90+ injector clips. Controlling them effectively will require work
            Why: More fuel for those who need it

What: 330cc Injectors
            Donor Car: 90-92 MX6/Probe GT
            Modification required: The injector clips will have to be changed over along with the injectors themselves.
            Why: More fuel, won't need any type of management to make these run well.

What: Fuel filter
            Donor Car: XX-XX Isuzu Rodeo (Part number- FRAM G7393)
            Modification required: None. Filter will "float" in the engine bay, leaving the coil bracket empty.
            Why: Flows better than OE unit

What: Front struts/springs
            Donor Car: 93-94 MX6 LS/Probe GT
            Modification required: None. However, rears will not fit.
            Why: Lowers car, allows more options as far as aftermarket products.
            (Thanks HotRodMex/1FIERCEGT)

What: Rear strut tower bar
            Donor Car: 90+ MX6 GT
            Modification required: None. 88-89 GTs are missing this item, which can be found on the 90+ model.
            Why: Improved handling.

What: Stainless steel clutch line
            Donor Car: 93-97 MX6 LS/Probe GT
            Modification required: None.
            Why: Inexpensive mod, improves clutch feel, as line will no longer expand with pressure
            (Thanks Monoxidechild)

What: Cupholders
            Donor Car: 92-95 Ford Taurus
            Modification required: Requires open "bay" under CD player
            Why: The MX6/626 lacks cupholders, which some people find valuable. Not an upgrade per se, but a nice creature comfort.

What: Rear sway bar
            Donor Car: 89-92 Probe GT
            Modification required: None
            Why: The 1G MX6 comes with a 16mm sway bar. The 18mm sway bar is stiffer, and said to improve handling
            (Thanks Mazda_MX6_Turbo)

---
            Thanks to Panther37 for the following:
            What: Inside Door Handles
            Donor Car: 89(maybe earlier)-95 Mazda MPV
            Why: The if you don't want chrome door handles, the MPV handles come from the same mold, but are all one interior color.

What: Different dash switch
            Donor Car: 88-91 Mazda 929
            Why: If you want a different switch and you want it to look stock...
            (I don't have a picture of this switch but I think its for heated mirrors or something luxury like that)

What: VAF, VAF adaptor Plate
            Donor Car: Multiple Toyota models from 88-92
            I don't know if they use the same VAF or they just LOOK the same. I know the adapter plates are the same. 2 cars I've visually seen the same looking VAF are 88-92 Corolla, 88-89 (may go up to 93) Cellica Discussion

What: Shift Knob
            Donor Car: Any Mitsubishi (I'm sure there are others)
            Why: I found a nice leather shift knob in the junkyard and for $15 on ebay.

What: Make the back of your car, on the trunk say "MX-6 GT"
            Donor Car: Mitsubishi 3000GT (I'm pretty sure any year will do)
            Why: on the back of the 3000GT, just carefully peel of the GT and put them on your car.
            ---
            Thanks to MazdaMiester for the following:
            What: Passenger Under-seat tray Slider drawer from 89-92 PGT
            replaces factor sub box.
            Modification req'd : mounts in same location(for those who dont use that subbox due to aftermarket stereo) No drilling required, However it will not fit DX seats. You'll need both brackets and the drawer, thats it!
            Get more storage room!

What: Aluminum rx-7 Scissor jack. For those who want to lose a few pounds but still have a jack, one weighs about 3-4lbs compared to the nearly 10 our stock one weighs, fits in the same spot, no modification required

What: Aluminum 16X5 5-lug Rx-7 Space saver. Weighs alot less then our stupid tiny steel ones, looks alot better... Fits perfectly in the trunk
            Found on: All rx-7 convert's, 87-91 rx-7 Turbo, and 89-90 rx7 GTUs<(not just GTU, has to be a GTU-s)

What: 89-91 Rx-7 Fuel pressure regulator
            Modification required: use longer length of fuel line because outlet is shorter.
            Fits int he same flange, i noticed 2psi more basepressure... i dunno might be worth it if you've got it apart

What: 2g pgt/mx6 LS KL Spark plug wire holders, the ones that mount on the intake manifold
            Modification required: cut a little notch to fit the little nub on our valve covers.Holds the plugwires Up higher because bracket is horizontal, not almost vertical.

What: 3-4 Psi Pressure switch-gotta thank rebel2k4 for this one
            Switch turns on at 3-4psi, However with a boost controller inline with this switch, you can use it to turn on some extra injectors or N20 at any pressure above 4psi.
            Found only on: Old Volvo Turbo's, the Non intercooled ones. Switch is blue and yellow and located on the firewall in the middle near the valve cover.
            Modification required: well, this should be self explanatory

What: 88-91 929 Master Cylinder w/resivour.
            why?: its basically the same, except the resivour is alot larger and better shaped.
            modification required: NONE, just make sure the lines are the right side, they'll differ depending on ABS or not(same as your car) you can just use the resivour if you trust yourself enough to get it out in 1 piece. I sat at the hub autozone store for an hour and tried 11 different master cylinders, they all sorta fit, only the 929 fit perfectly(i had a brake booster sitting there to compare)
            ---
            How about the subaru legacy 96 I believe. Can swap the caliper with our front ones keeping our stock bracket, Therefore retaining stock pads. They are 2 piston for an even distribution of clamping for on the pads. Modification= None. although not the slider pin on subie is longer than stock, just change them out. (From Gavin's suspension writeup)

Comment

Originally posted by xxxmonoxidechil
              also the 1st gen 2.2 turbo clutch is the same as the 89-92 rx7 turbo clutch
              not the pressure plate though...
              Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos ....
              What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.

Pearl '92 Audi //S4 GT3071R, running 27 psi
              Lava gray '14 Audi //SQ5, Chipwerke, 034 Intake Pipe
              For PSP Awareness click here

Comment

Originally posted by luisitol
                the MS LSD is $432 on Corksport. Good to know that it won't take sudden loads. The Quaife LSD though is $1541 from Corksport.
                Its been done a bunch of times. Nothing new..

There are 2 different designs: first design was preloaded significantly and was pressed together... Bad idea, but welding fixed that problem and the first gen MSP LSDs are simply the BEST imho.

Recent design was more durable, BUT, it suffers from weak locking.

Performance is actually pretty good esp. for the early heavily preloaded model, it can handle shocks just fine as long as its welded together.

I am sure Mazda isn't very happy with Corksport selling their parts OTC.

But, if they are selling them for THAT cheap I am gonna get one and have it welded up yea buddy.

Oh, and, allegedly, Mustang rollcages fit well with very little modding...

And MX-3 front strut mounts are a DIRECT FIT WITH NO GRINDING.

Lets see what else....

Rumor is going around that the Ford Escape axles are a good upgrade to ours and will fit just fine. Haven't tried it but it might be promising since they are made for a heavier vehicle with bigger wheels.

Ford Escape uses the G5m transmission, but its beefed up a bit.
                Last edited by cyborgzero; September 27, 2005, 07:12 PM.

Comment

this thread is fantastic... subscribed
                  [FS links are NOT ALLOWED in signatures, except for vendors!] lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ion332
                    Its been done a bunch of times. Nothing new..

There are 2 different designs: first design was preloaded significantly and was pressed together... Bad idea, but welding fixed that problem and the first gen MSP LSDs are simply the BEST imho.

Recent design was more durable, BUT, it suffers from weak locking.

Performance is actually pretty good esp. for the early heavily preloaded model, it can handle shocks just fine as long as its welded together.

I am sure Mazda isn't very happy with Corksport selling their parts OTC.

But, if they are selling them for THAT cheap I am gonna get one and have it welded up yea buddy.

Oh, and, allegedly, Mustang rollcages fit well with very little modding...

And MX-3 front strut mounts are a DIRECT FIT WITH NO GRINDING.

Lets see what else....

Rumor is going around that the Ford Escape axles are a good upgrade to ours and will fit just fine. Haven't tried it but it might be promising since they are made for a heavier vehicle with bigger wheels.

Ford Escape uses the G5m transmission, but its beefed up a bit.
                    thanks for the furthin info on the MS Diff. Any more details on the welding necessary? This is seeming like something I might do this winter.
                    Last edited by luisitol; October 27, 2005, 12:28 AM.
                    '93 Red PGT MTX....

Comment

• damn nice thread! Im interstead int he lsd from the mazda protege, does it need much modification? just wanted to get updated on it

Comment

• Originally posted by luisitol
                        thanks for the furthin info on the MS Diff. Any more details on the welding necessary? This is seeming like something I might do this winter.

On a side note what year Protege calipers is it that we can upgrade to in the rear of our PGTs to get rid of the freezing up that happens on the 93's & 94's. I hear it also increases the pad surface area.
                        the third gen protege rear calipers are what you are looking for - 99-03 model years.

the 02-03 p5 also works.

they give you about 1/3" more contact patch on the rotors, and are physically larger calipers also (for the "look" of it, if you're interested in that)

most importantly, the seals on the piston and ebrake arm are much better.. i picked up a 70k m iles set cheap, and the ebrake was still as smooth as butter.

verdict is still out on the mp3 and ms protege, and 4th gen protege (04+) as they (may have) had slightly different brake setups.
                        Last edited by Goatcrapp; October 27, 2005, 02:53 AM.
                        [x] Turbo (T3/s-60@10 psi) [x] Big Brakes [x] Jspec headlights [x] HID [x] K-Sport Coilovers [x] phantom grip LSD
                        [x] liquid/air intercooling [x] erebuni vented hood [x] type 44 kit [x] rare oem lip decklid spoiler [x] extras & misc
                        [ ] done....

My complete mods list

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatcrapp
                          the third gen protege rear calipers are what you are looking for - 99-03 model years.

the 02-03 p5 also works.

they give you about 1/3" more contact patch on the rotors, and are physically larger calipers also (for the "look" of it, if you're interested in that)

most importantly, the seals on the piston and ebrake arm are much better.. i picked up a 70k m iles set cheap, and the ebrake was still as smooth as butter.

verdict is still out on the mp3 and ms protege, and 4th gen protege (04+) as they (may have) had slightly different brake setups.
                          Wait so if i buy it woudl it be a direct bolt on, or will i need slight modification?

Comment

• Originally posted by volcomchester18
                            Wait so if i buy it woudl it be a direct bolt on, or will i need slight modification?

zero modification. make sure if you get them, you get the carrier with it.
                            [ ] done....

My complete mods list

Comment

• this is an awesome thread! I'm giddy like a school girl after reading this.

What exactly needs to be ground off to fit the VR4 brakes?
                              my email address is NOT working

Comment

• These would definitely be harder to get ahold of, but the Australian Ford Telstar (came with a ZE) and the Mazda Capella, both had AWD tranny options. They used the KL motor, and basically the same architecture as the probe/mx-6, IIRC.

So, there is the POSSIBILITY of maybe hearing "probe" and "all wheel drive" in the same sentence. (no, that sentence doesn't count)

Just a thought.
                                Last edited by nevin94 PGT; November 20, 2005, 01:30 AM.
                                Jesus is the remedy
                                Black '94 GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
                                Black '89 MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
                                Ebony Pearl '95 Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001

Comment

Working...
                                X