No announcement yet.

How to: Honda Civic Short Throw Shifter (STS) Install/Adaptation Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dont know if anybody has asked this yet but do these honda sts work better then b&m/obx sts's??? does it reduce it a lot better or is it the same??
    96PGTZE~GREDDY~MAGNAFLOW~ACT
    FIDANZA~WILWOOD~AWR~RR-RACING~HS~OUTLAW
    PRD~MSD-WINDOWS~TEIN-SS~RX-8~ALPINE

Comment

Wow! This was such a great mod! Cost me $7.99 for the shifter, 11.98 for the shipping and like .20 for different brass bushings. Took me all of an hour and 15 min. to do...I could shave about 30 min off that time now. Maybe more if I could have found bushings that didnt require me to drill out the I.D. more.

I can not put into words how much better this shifter feels over my stock one. Its great! The throw length is greatly reduced and it feels a lot less sloppy. I think my old shifter was kinda loose, but man...its great.

Thank you for this wonderful write up. I had been wanting to install a STS for a long time but did not want to pay $150 for one. This has been about the best bang for the buck mod I have ever done to a car.

Also, I got the double bend one, my shifter sits back a little bit more and is maybe a 1/4 shorter, which I like.

Thanks!
      Jason
      Something new coming soon!!!
      1994 Probe GT...
      Badass Probe build... Soon to be turbocharged http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701254359 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3865502

Comment

got the one that someone above suggested http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEBWN%3AIT&rd=1
        and WOW it worked great allittle bit of a p.i.t.a. to get the boot over the ball but it worked great no washers were even need there is ZERO play in the shifter!
        thanks PT
        -kevin vinal
        clear corners,custom straight pipe exaust,painted interior,atx to mtx swap, ADDED 97+ prelude intake,honeycomb taillights ... H4 conversion, silverstars, 96-00 civic shifter,LoTek triple pod, 17" eagle alloy chrome wheels,nitto nt450's.....pimp:

Comment

I am going to do this mod in a few days, but I have a few questions first.

I need a new shift knob. Should I get a Civic one off eBay?

Can someone tell me what are the best bushings to use? I've seen many different ideas, which one is the best/easist?
          1997 PGT-ZE, soon to be squirted!

Comment

A civic shifter knw should work fine.

the nylon bushing is the easiest
            Marc M.
            Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
            2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Does it matter which one you get? In the writeup it says to use 88 - 95 Honda Civic STS, but some of the links to ebay show that people got the 96 - 00 model. Whats the difference? will they both work, and which will work better?

Thanks

Comment

Well, I've seen STS' on eBay that say '88-'00. Are they compatible with each other? Maybe. I chose the years by what people had used and it worked. If people had used '96-'00 model STS and it worked, go ahead and buy it. Pretty much they are all the same.
                Marc M.
                Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
                2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Ok, sounds good. I plan on getting this one
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591
                  since it was mentioned earler that this one was already installed with no problems.

One more question... Did anyone actually have to remove the catalytic converter in order to do this install or was it simple enough to reach the bolt with it on?

Thanks for the help.
                  Last edited by Kil0watt; August 2, 2004, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kil0watt
                    One more question... Did anyone actually have to remove the catalytic converter in order to do this install or was it simple enough to reach the bolt with it on.
                    Removing the cat is a major PITA if you have never removed it before. I would try to work around it and if needed, remove that cat. I had a test pipe so there was tons of space.
                    Marc M.
                    2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Whats so hard about it???

Comment

Originally posted by JCeesPGT
                        Whats so hard about it???
                        Completely rusted on stock cat nuts are fun. I look forward to seized fasteners whenever I wrench on my car.

SS fasteners make a a TP or cat R&R take 15 minutes. to SS and anti-seize.
                        Marc M.
                        2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

i was the one who had used that shifter. i have no cat on the car so im not sure what that is gonna be project wise.i did remove the cat heat shield though.
                          ps
                          its gonna be REAL tight at first then will lossen up.it required alittle force in putting the rubber boot on the ball but IT DOES WORK!oh and you dont need any washers.
                          -kevin vinal
                          clear corners,custom straight pipe exaust,painted interior,atx to mtx swap, ADDED 97+ prelude intake,honeycomb taillights ... H4 conversion, silverstars, 96-00 civic shifter,LoTek triple pod, 17" eagle alloy chrome wheels,nitto nt450's.....pimp:

Comment

Can someone tell me EXACTLY what the difference is with the one bend and two bends? I've heard different explanations but they don't really make sense.

Comment

single will be further away from you, double will be closer, angle is about the same. I had a single, bought a double, went back to the single. Its about the same all the way around. I like the single but everyone who drove my car with the double prefered that one. buy both, they are cheep as hell. and see which you like, huck the one you dont want for 6 bucks on ebay or pt
                              Want to buy a PGT?

Comment

Oh well, I bought the double. Hope I like it. Evovector isn't replying though...

Comment

Working...
                                X