• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im running a KLG8 in my 97.
    PaTricK
    ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

• Klg8 is what you wanna run in an obd2 probe. 97+ is what you wanna run with mr Jason's jumper harness. At least that's what memory is telling me. My head is ****ed right now.
      2001 Grand Prix GT - Top Swap Ported and polished heads, 1.9 rocker arms, ls6 springs and retainers, 180* thermostat, ZZP 1.0 pcm, intake/exhaust, Aeroforce scan gauge
      1993 Ford Probe GT -Maf Conversion, Nitrous, Pretty much every bolt on other than cams
      2010 Toyota Corolla S -Slower than Dales car

Where's Cameron? He's in the truck section trying to suck the ball off a trailer hitch.

Comment

• KLG8 96
        KLY5 97
        KLL5 97
        KLL6 98
        KLP2 99/00

You do want a KLG8 in a 96 pgt
        or any other in a 97+ PGT

but it really doesnt make too much difference as you can make the O2 differences work.

You can use any of the listed ECU's in OBD1

Comment

• which is the easiest when it comes to the o2 differences?
          93 PGT
          94 PGT
          95 PGT
          07 MS6

Comment

• In a 1996 PGT using a 97+ millenia ECU, i suspect you can get away with your 3 wire front O2 sensors working just fine. However you will need to add the O2 heater resistor mod in to ECU pins 3C and 3I of the 97+ milly ecu for rear O2 heater codes. Because the 96 PGT Rear O2 sensor heaters are always supplied power and ground, they will be working in this config, the ECU just cant monitor they work or not thus the need to fool the ECU. (NOTE: There is a slight possibility for front O2 code due to the 3 wire sensor. If that be the case you'd need to install 4 wire 97+ sensor and wire the missing O2 ground to ECU pin 3AB (or to the rear o2 harness blk-yellow if i am correct)

In a 97+ PGT using a 1996 millenia ecu. Your Front O2 sensors being 4 wire still should function even though the ECU originally used 3 wire. The 4 wire system returns to the sensor ground instead of the car frame. If anything it will get a better reading and shouldnt get front O2 Codes. Now when it comes down to the Rear O2 sensors, you will need to de-pin wires 3G and 3C From the ECU plug and connect to Frame Ground in order to power the Rear O2 heaters because the 96 ECU will not supply the ground circuit on 3G/3C

Comment

• Hehey! I just plugged a KLL5 into my 96 turboPGT yesterday and it runs awesome! Performance is better now than it was with the KLG8. The cold-start stutter is gone. The hesitations are gone. I can now brake boost in whatever gear I want and wind the motor out at full boost in whatever gear I want without any breaking up whatsoever.

I will be sticking with the KLL5 from now on until I (one day in the future) get the MS hooked up.
              DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
              94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

• Makes sense, Mazda had a whole year to tweak the tune. I wonders, is it a KLL5a or KLL5b? I grabbed both at the yard and I used the b (newer code I assume).
                1997 Ford Probe GTS "Optimus Probe" - SOLD - 2005 Impreza RS Wagon "Silverstreak" - 2006 Pontiac Solstice "Jazz" - 2017 Camaro turbo "BEEFOUR" - Cadillac 500 powered 1995 K1500 "Steve"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Jason View Post
                  In a 97+ PGT using a 1996 millenia ecu. Your Front O2 sensors being 4 wire still should function even though the ECU originally used 3 wire. The 4 wire system returns to the sensor ground instead of the car frame. If anything it will get a better reading and shouldnt get front O2 Codes. Now when it comes down to the Rear O2 sensors, you will need to de-pin wires 3G and 3C From the ECU plug and connect to Frame Ground in order to power the Rear O2 heaters because the 96 ECU will not supply the ground circuit on 3G/3C
                  I didnt touch any of my O2's or wiring in my 97, and im running the 96 KLG8 ecu without a single O2 sensor code.
                  PaTricK

Comment

• Originally posted by MSDKLZE View Post
                    Hehey! I just plugged a KLL5 into my 96 turboPGT yesterday and it runs awesome! Performance is better now than it was with the KLG8. The cold-start stutter is gone. The hesitations are gone. I can now brake boost in whatever gear I want and wind the motor out at full boost in whatever gear I want without any breaking up whatsoever.

I will be sticking with the KLL5 from now on until I (one day in the future) get the MS hooked up.

awesome I bought a KLL5 so sounds good to me
                    93 PGT
                    94 PGT
                    95 PGT
                    07 MS6

Comment

• Originally posted by MIHELA View Post
                      Makes sense, Mazda had a whole year to tweak the tune. I wonders, is it a KLL5a or KLL5b? I grabbed both at the yard and I used the b (newer code I assume).
                      KLL5 18 881B .... it pulls so smooth!
                      DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                      94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

• Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
                        I didnt touch any of my O2's or wiring in my 97, and im running the 96 KLG8 ecu without a single O2 sensor code.
                        You wont get a code, but your rear O2 heaters are likely not working unless those pins on the KLG8 are passing to ground for some reason. But ya either way it wont throw a rear O2 heater code on a KLG8 because it is not checking them.

Comment

• That would make sense then. I just knew i wasnt getting a code for it.
                          PaTricK

Comment

• According to my 1997 Probe electrical manual and my 1997 Millenia electrical manual pins 3R and 3F are the same on both cars. The only differences are inputs for the traction control and the fuel tank pressure sensor.
                            1997 Ford Probe GTS "Optimus Probe" - SOLD - 2005 Impreza RS Wagon "Silverstreak" - 2006 Pontiac Solstice "Jazz" - 2017 Camaro turbo "BEEFOUR" - Cadillac 500 powered 1995 K1500 "Steve"

Comment

• Originally posted by MIHELA View Post
                              According to my 1997 Probe electrical manual and my 1997 Millenia electrical manual pins 3R and 3F are the same on both cars. The only differences are inputs for the traction control and the fuel tank pressure sensor.

I have my EGR and KL47 MAP wired as per the info in post #158 and its working. I'd like to see the milly diagram / pinout chart.

I'd also be curious what pin is traction control.

Comment

• I can scan it sometime. I'm sure it would be helpful to someone.

Comment

Working...
                                X