Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forgive my ignorance but I must know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh by the way the kl transmission has nothing to do with us making big power numbers.

yes the tranny is a piece of crap when it comes to high horspower

but the tranny doesn't stop the engine from producing numbers (except for clutch slippage)

what stops the kl from making big numbers is like I said before lack of R&D

and people being cheap taking short cuts

everyone is in a rush to be fast and not taking the time to do real research and buy quality parts

for example I would never buy a ebay turbo kit and then have to hack it to make it fit, why not just go to a experience builder and have him design the kit on the car so it can be done right the first time, once the kit is design in theory then call a turbo maker and explain what type of motor you have and what type of power you want to make and when you want to make power. when I had my turbo design I called turbonetics and told them what type of power I wanted and I informed them I want a midrange to top end turbo capable of producing 600hp the asked me what size motor I have and whether no i wanted ball bearing or dual ball bearing. once I gave them my info the guy did a few caculations (sp) and told me what turbo to order with the trim and ar need to support my goals

Now I will never run more than about 350 to 400hp, I dont have to run the piss out of my turbo to do it ( rule in mind- ALWAYS OVER BUILD FOR WHAT YOU NEED)
    Last edited by P1P; October 12, 2013, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by P1P View Post

everyone is in a rush to be fast and not taking the time to do real research and buy quality parts

for example I would never buy a ebay turbo kit and then have to hack it to make it fit, why not just go to a experience builder and have him design the kit on the car so it can be done right the first time, once the kit is design in theory then call a turbo maker and explain what type of motor you have and what type of power you want to make and when you want to make power. when I had my turbo design I called turbonetics and told them what type of power I wanted and I informed them I want a midrange to top end turbo capable of producing 600hp the asked me what size motor I have and whether no i wanted ball bearing or dual ball bearing. once I gave them my info the guy did a few caculations (sp) and told me what turbo to order with the trim and ar need to support my goals

Now I will never run more than about 350 to 400hp, I dont have to run the piss out of my turbo to do it ( rule in mind- ALWAYS OVER BUILD FOR WHAT YOU NEED)
      And $4000 later you have a turbo and turbo pipes only.

The problem with Probe owners is that they compare the cost of parts to the cost of the car. Someone who just bought a new FR-S for $25,000 will think "Cool, I go buy that shiny new Greddy turbo kit for $5000!" A Probe owner who bought their car for $1500 will think "$5000 for a turbo kit! I ain't paying that, I only spent $1500 on the car!" They want a turbo kit with everything included for $500-$1000(at most).

I'm buying all the "good" turbo stuff, but for now I'll be using the ebay pipes with a few modifications, and have them coated. Eventually, I would like to have custom hot pipes made, but the ebay ones will be good enough for my goals.
      Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
      STEVE B
      1993 Probe GT
      2016 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by SBPGT View Post
        And $4000 later you have a turbo and turbo pipes only.

The problem with Probe owners is that they compare the cost of parts to the cost of the car. Someone who just bought a new FR-S for $25,000 will think "Cool, I go buy that shiny new Greddy turbo kit for $5000!" A Probe owner who bought their car for $1500 will think "$5000 for a turbo kit! I ain't paying that, I only spent $1500 on the car!" They want a turbo kit with everything included for $500-$1000(at most).
        and that's why probes have no aftermarket support

they say a person is a extension of their ride

I not saying you have to buy every big name aftermarket part for your car

I just saying at the end of the day you get what you pay. If you a cheap ass it's your car you build it the way you want, if it runs it runs if it blows up because you bought the $2.50 part when you could have bought the $4.00 part the first time the you only can be mad at yourself

Comment

Originally posted by SBPGT View Post

I'm buying all the "good" turbo stuff, but for now I'll be using the ebay pipes with a few modifications, and have them coated. Eventually, I would like to have custom hot pipes made, but the ebay ones will be good enough for my goals.
          but we are talking about really building a car, not talking about that 50% - 80% that probally shouldn't be on the road

Comment

and that's why probes have no aftermarket support

We dont need no more aftermarket support then we allready have bro. What you want to do is "name drop".

Not even talking about custom pipes anymore...........there is a line between built and bought just as much as there is a line between built and sourced.
            My shit is sourced, Not built nor bought. Open your eyes and you will see there is plenty of aftermarket support allready. The KL/G-series performance reaches far beyond this for
            forum.

And fyi, in the case of the ebay turbo pipes that utilize the stock logs........You all know what these are.............I personally know the individual who started it all.........He paid a growing company(at the time) $5k (showed me the receipt) to engineer those pipes to later be sold for $200/set. I dont know if he made his money back but I called him crazy for doing it.
            Last edited by mac1; October 12, 2013, 08:05 PM.
            1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
            1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
            2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
            2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
            1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

oh by the way the kl transmission has nothing to do with us making big power numbers.

yes the tranny is a piece of crap when it comes to high horspower

but the tranny doesn't stop the engine from producing numbers (except for clutch slippage)

what stops the kl from making big numbers is like I said before lack of R&D

Actually, I thank eBay for half of the turbo kits available. If you van find parts that you need for a great price, then use it to your advantage. For example, I bought the eBay headers and blocked off the egr pipe and modified the mid pipe. I went from 169whp to almost 176whp by opening it up. Same with a turbo kit. If you have to hack it up to make it work for you, then you are using your resources wisely. Buy the inexpensive turbo kit and buy the turbo suited for your build. If you have to change the flanges from t3 to t4 and make another down pipe then do so. At least that way, you "sourced" all your parts without spending a fortune and still made good power.
              I'm the 626 guy. DOWN FOR A REBUILD 11.8:1 comp build .020 pistons race cams MSPNP coming hopefully running by the end of the year check my YOUTUBE page

Comment

Like many others say, higher compression to start with, will require higher resolution in your engine management. Before the Megasquirt version became advanced enough, or when people had Carb turbos, this was impossible. So then lower compression gave them more room to manouver when tuning

If am not very wrong. Adding 0.5 PSI to a 12:1 engine will get you a lot more compression increase than if you did the same to a 7:1 engine.
                Mazda 626 GT - 2.5 V6 - KL31
                Mazda RX-7 FD - EU spec

Comment

The Toyota JZ engine series is IMO exactly on the same level as the FE3N, just with two more cylinders. In fact, I think it's even stronger from the factory, than a 2JZ (compare piston/rod assembly, you'll see).
                  Anyway, the KL is no slouch either. It really just needs rods/pistons and it will take Nissan RB levels of boost, the crankshafts are TOO STRONG (material, journals well over-sized) the engine block is also way over built. The quality of the alloy, casting and finishes of the parts are well above average, even by today's standards.

With that said, new turbo engines are coming with higher static compression ratios, but that's for a reason. New turbo engines also come with intake cam phasing at least and for a good reason; they retard intake cam timing throwing the engine into a miller cycle. This results on 2 things: a)elimination of some (compression) pumping losses,and thus cylinder charge b)control the amount of charge trapped in the cylinder (in turn controlling the compression pressure/temperature again controlling fuel preignition). Also, Direct Injection (and the latent heat of vaporization thereof) help to control cylinder temperatures as well. VVT + DI, neither of which we have. So with a low cylinder charge and a higher static compression ratio, the mean effective cylinder pressure balances out to remain in the gasoline's "stable zone", while extracting more power (from less charge) ie more efficiency.

But our timing is fixed, and you are limited to controlling MECPs by boost alone bc volumetric efficiency is constant, resulting in more power from the same cylinder charge (vs lower compression ratio), but also with corresponding risks like a rise in charge temperature/pressure- therefore the fuel must be more resistant to knocking, and higher compression = more torque (with virtually no effect on the shape of the torque hill)

I'll be boosting my 10:1 KLZE with low boost eventually, with hopefully an air to liquid IC, because intercooling is absolutely critical for power an reliability to screw around with sketchy air-to-air jobs
                  Last edited by mazda-head; October 13, 2013, 09:02 AM.
                  95' 323C 'Neo' V6 BA23
                  stock KLZE/retuned VRIS0/deleted VRIS1/retuned VRIS2/MX3 rear suspension/0.680 5th gear/3deg retard cam timing/manual TBT

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
                    We dont need no more aftermarket support then we allready have bro.

and that why probes are slow

aftermarket support is more than just parts, it is also knowledge and technology

if we had more aftermarket support there would be more R&D

so if you think we as a community can't use more info and tech support then you are lost.

Comment

and that why probes are slow

aftermarket support is more than just parts, it is also knowledge and technology

if we had more aftermarket support there would be more R&D

so if you think we as a community can't use more info and tech support then you are lost.

I'm far from lost dude. My eyes are wide open and new ideas keep rolling in. Name one component you would like to have in your KL that cannot be found anywhere?

If it cannot be found then it is not needed and once again you're just looking to name drop and install a "fad" in your car.

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
                        I'm far from lost dude. My eyes are wide open and new ideas keep rolling in. Name one component you would like to have in your KL that cannot be found anywhere?

If it cannot be found then it is not needed and once again you're just looking to name drop and install a "fad" in your car.

plug and play ecu, intake manifold (not hacked together) actual fuel rails not ones you have to modify, might as well say injectors too that are actually made for our fuel rails bigger than 550cc

i have a longer list if you need more
                        Last edited by P1P; October 13, 2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

OMG! try again.

Comment

... diyauto has them for obd1, now ob2 on the other hand.... wiring isnt a big deal.
                            94 PGT -T, Used to be quick

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life

Comment

[QUOTE=short4stuff;1924139225]... diyauto has them for obd1, now ob2 on the other hand.... wiring isnt a big deal.[/QUOTE

still not plug and play

here's how I feel

it's your car build it the way you want

I could care less

if it runs then thumbs up to you

if it blows up then look in the mirror

Comment

So are you doing anything with yours or just buying and selling? With your method of approach, I would love to see what you can come up with

still not plug and play
                                Yes it is. He was referring to both the PNP an the DIY type of setup. Open your eyes I say again.
                                Last edited by mac1; October 13, 2013, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X