Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Spark - No CrankPosSensor in TS til I MAKE it register..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark - No CrankPosSensor in TS til I MAKE it register..

Before I get jumped - Yes - I used the search function. I couldn't see anything out of the 10 pages worth of threads I looked through.

Here's the dilly. No spark. Replaced Disty w/ Refurb unit. Still no spark. Connect Tunerstudio (running MS2 v3.57), no crank trigger. Replace Crank position sensor - still no trigger in TS. Here's where it gets weird.... I took the old crank position sensor, plugged it back in, and with the key-on I literally took the sensor and tapped it's pickup/face against the strut tower to the strutnut so that the magnet was indeed being "engaged". This is the only time I saw a trigger signal in TS.

My question is this - could it just be a bad crank position sensor? It was from a salvage lot, so I guess it could be bad. It does put out .300 VAC when cranking in the installed position and the ohms from it read 560'ish.

Or could this be something else that I'm completely missing? I'm tired of this... soooo tired of this.
    KL swapped Protege5. ATX > MTX swapped. Custom 2.5" exhaust, Probe GT Tein Basic Damper Coilovers, 18x7.5 Mazdaspeed6 wheels w/ 215/35/18 tires. Forged internals, MS2 v3.0, and a bunch of boost!!

anyone have any ideas or experience in this? The CKP works if I tap it's face against something like the strut tower nuts, but in it's regular spot on the oil pump body - it doesn't read a damn thing.

This is really starting to get on my damn nerves.

Could I have actually broken that 6-tooth ring behind the crank pulley?
    KL swapped Protege5. ATX > MTX swapped. Custom 2.5" exhaust, Probe GT Tein Basic Damper Coilovers, 18x7.5 Mazdaspeed6 wheels w/ 215/35/18 tires. Forged internals, MS2 v3.0, and a bunch of boost!!

Comment

I would try, but I have no idea what TS is.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Did you have the crank pulley off before this happened. Because yes that toothed pulley can get messed up.
      Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

TS = TunerStudio. The software that connects to a MegaSquirt. Could be a bad sensor indeed, but also check the sensor gap distance. Can you get a composite log of an attempted start?
        Matt at DIYAutoTune.com
        My PM box fills up fast - it's much better to email me at websales@diyautotune.com

Comment

Matt - the composite log shows cps (cam) but no crank, w/ error sync pulses repeatedly. but if I literally take the thing out and "make it work" by putting it's face against something metallic - it actually tries to start... this has to be my issue.

Comment

it's either the CKP itself is bad (but it puts out .300 ac volts on turning over and has the correct ohms), or the crank pulley has somehow become shot. I don't know exactly how the crank pulley could be damaged, but I guess I'm going to have to check it out.

Any other suggestions fellow KL-fans?

Comment

revisiting this - haven't had a lick of time to even look into it.

Has anyone else had a crank pulley that the VR wheel either sheered off from or just wasn't in alignment any longer so that the CKP didn't get anything from the wheel?

It's either:
              1.) the CKP wiring
              2.) the VR wheel

Comment

check the ckp, should read between 550-580 ohms.
                G35 Coupe
                95PGT kinda stock
                12 R6
                14' Optima slow

Comment

Ckp puts out .300mv while cranking. Also if he outer ring on the damp er pulley has come undone the. You will time it way off.
                  1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                  1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                  2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                  2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                  1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

it's alive!

the wiring I thought ohm'ed out just fine - turned out the signal wire was busted internally somewhere. Replace said wire - fired right up.

Now to get back to tuning and see what this thing'll really do.

Comment

Working...
                    X