Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KL Miata - Megasquirt and distributorless

Hi guys,

Thought Id introduce myself like on MX6.com.

I have 1994 Miata with 1993 KLZE and currently running a KL01D ECU with KL-02 VAF.

Building the car for Time Attack and lapping (what you guys refer to as HPDE).

Here are a few pics:

This is what the engine bay looks like, except with NGK wires now:

So...

Step 1:

I just bought a used MSII V3 Board with custom harness for MX6 with piggy back for stock ECU (I assume for idle control).

I inspected the board thoroughly and all mods are there for KL engines. Harness is well done with identifications. Came with the GM IAT. (need a bung).

I just plugged into it and it detected the firmware 3.2.1.
    Now I need to figure out how to use TunerStudio MS

BTW, I opened up my KL01D ECU and there was a chip in it, but I cant find much info.

Anyone know anything about this chip?

INNOVATiVE AUTOSPORTS
    FORD PROBE KLZE RACE

I'll install the IAT, and MAP hose, calibrate sensors, and install a Wideband.
    Get rid of the VAF.

------- From there, I'll get the car running with the ECU and base tune. Fix any bugs, if any and maybe do a dyno run for future comparison.

Step 2:

- I'm debating between a coilpack, like the Ford Explorer ones or COP...

- Custom plug wires....???
    - Fabricate bracket of some sort to hold the coilpack

**** Now, this is where I see lots of info, but from different years.
    What is the BEST setup for running coilpacks with a MSII V3 board??

If you can see in the picture, my distributor is against the firewall. It means lifting the engine just to remove it. So the disty and cam sensor just might stay in there. I'm thinking of using the camshaft sensor instead of a 36-1? or is it preferable to just be a man, lift the engine and get rid of the disty?

----- Once I get coilpacks sorted out, I'm going to do more base tuning and get it running properly, probably some dyno tuning as well.

Step 3 (end of summer or over winter):

- Get TWO GSXr 1000 ITBs
    - Cut off the 4th throttle intake on each
    - Fab a bracket for fuel rail
    - Whatever other fabrication is necessary to make this run

---- Tune dyno, dyno dyno, tune.

OR... supercharge it... decisions decisions...

Until then. RACE the shit out of the car till the engine dies.

THEN, build high revving KL 2.8 engine

Guys, Ive done allot of research. I think I have most of this understood.
    Autotune should help me here.

Is there anything major that I forgot? Anything that can be done differently, better, cheaper yet still good?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks !!!

Chris

p.s. I have been lurking here and MX6.com for the past few months and reading up on tons of great info. I would like to thank the community and administrators for the wealth of information contained here.
    Last edited by Spicez; May 30, 2015, 08:32 PM.

You get the nice easy process of running a 36-1 wheel. All you have to do is buy a new crank pulley for a 98-up 626 (the KLG4 motor came with coil packs and a 36-1 crank pulley) and use the stock crank sensor (you may have to redo something in the MS but most likely not).

The ECU you have now you can most likely sell for a bit of money since it's chipped. Because you don't have a stock intake, it's not the best tune for your purpose so switching to MS is a good idea to get the most power out of the engine.

You also have the ability to run wasted spark COP whereby you connect 2 COPs to the same output (1-4, 2-5, 3-6) just like the way a regular coil pack works but you don't have to put in the extra circuits (if they haven't been built already) for the outputs for full COP.
    '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
    '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
    '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

Installed the MS2 last weekend.

The ignition transistor seems blown, so only controlling fueling.
      KL01D ecu installed in parallel for ignition, fan ctrl and idle ctrl.

With proper fueling my misfire problem is gone.
      Seems the stock ecu was either too rich or poor, hard to tell, but it was causing misfires.

Will be modding the MS2 to fix the broken VB and replace with a BIP373 and add 2 more for wasted spark COP and also idle control.

I'll find a 36-1 wheel. and go full stand alone.

Comment

So nice
        93 mazda mx6 turbo 650whp

Comment

Sweet ride. I would hate to change that ditsy cap.
          Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Working...
          X