Turbo or SC ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo or SC ??

ok im wondering what would be the best set up for a daily driver probe? i know i'd rather have the turbo, but i dont want to go thru motors every other weekend, it dont sound like fun lol....i mean i have experience with turbo, i used to own a srt4, but i never boosted anything that wasnt boosted from factory, so i dont know howm uch abuse can take the pgt and the tranny..

if i boost either sc or turbo im gonna go with millenia rods, and ms, bigger incjectors and all the goods, but what would be best for a daily driven pgt? also, how much whp can be achived from a sc set up?

please dont tell me to get a daily driver and only race the pgt...

thanks

Turbo utilizes the watsed energy from exhaust and turns it into more power, supercharger eats up your crank hp to make more hp and energy is still wasted in exhaust. Its up to you, I would go with turbo on a low boost (6-8psi) or 50-75 shot of nitrous.
    93 PGT Kitted and all -sold,
    Current 93 PGT-ZE-T So far: 12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.
    1980 Corvette Vortec 350 and side pipes

OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

yeah, but the thing is that turbo makes dumb amounts of hp and tq that blows ish up LOL, and supercharger is cool and sounds cool ,but im kinda iffy because of heatsoak...now i dont know nothing about nitro

any info on it? whats all required for a safe set up, and how safe is it? cause i heard people having terror stories but i know some miught over do it, but at the same time there is people saying that nitrous with a good tune and not abusing it should be fine..

how do you abuse the use of nitro?

Comment

Well if you are going to boost a DD I would go with a turbo. The tranny is the weak part and a sc makes alot of tq which would put alot of stress on the tranny and mounts. There are people though that sc their pgt and haven't had tranny problems, so just something to think about.

Jeremy
        1971 Camaro SS 396, 409ci of built BBC power 425 hp / 475 tq, #'s matching resto mod project
        00 Yamaha YZF-R6, http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSC01181.jpg SOLD
        93 Probe GT, T304E, + more, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3051493 SOLD
        93 MX-3 GS, KLZE, T304E, + more, 221.6 whp 219.0 wtq, 13.4 @ 108 untuned @ 5 psi SOLD

Comment

^^

Wrong, superchargers make less torque than turbos, and are much easier on the engine/drivetrain than the turbo. This is a proven fact.

If you want a DD, don't boost the probe. It's that simple.
          Now driving a 2006 350Z, Custom turbo and loving the RWD at 402whp.

Comment

aghhhh dont know what to do, but i was on the impression that turbo makes more tq than the sc?

i was also contemplating the idea of a fully bolt on de/ze hybrid on a 50/75 shot but the n20 section sucks there is nothing i could find LOL so i dont know about that

sasha then how about a shot of 50 or 75 on a fully bolted de/ze motor?
            Last edited by akmer; January 17, 2009, 11:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by akmer View Post
              aghhhh dont know what to do, but i was on the impression that turbo makes more tq than the sc?

i was also contemplating the idea of a fully bolt on de/ze hybrid on a 50/75 shot but the n20 section sucks there is nothing i could find LOL so i dont know about that

sasha then how about a shot of 50 or 75 on a fully bolted de/ze motor?

Not too familiar with N20 myself but I know that there are a few members using it. Again though, you are taking a risk with blowing things up. Do some research, there is plenty of inforamtion here for you.
              Now driving a 2006 350Z, Custom turbo and loving the RWD at 402whp.

Comment

You are taking a risk of blowing things up regardless of if you have a sc, a turbo or nitrous because you are putting extra stress on things but i can tell you this,

I ran nitrous on most of my pgt's and never blew a motor using it... I have a turbo now and like it much better, im only using the nitrous to cool my intercooler now..

Here is what id recommend,

Do a compression test on your engine or have someone do one for you.. If all of the cylinders check out fine then you are prolly ok to mod it... Nitrous is the easiest in my opinion, always get a wet kit they are much better and safer because they spray fuel in with the nitrous to keep the engine from leaning out... And you can change your hp jet sizes pretty easily.. I did it for a long time with no problems and liked it...

A turbo is definately the best route to go if you want to boost in my opinion because you arent putting as much drag on the engine and you can always tune it with low boost if you dont wanna make a ton of power.

And yea superchargers sound cool but so do turbos lol

Hope that helps
                1995 turbocharged pgt with countless mods.. check it out here
                http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602
                1993 turbocharged pgt daily driver check it out here..
                http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602/73905

Comment

Turbooooooooooo,
                  I've seen many PT-ers start off with SC then out of the blue they go turbo. SC gets annoying after a while unless you come up with a system that wont whine like a b****!
                  Turbo it and take "Engine Swaps 101" learning course soo you wont feel bad when they pop!
                  Rio Red 94PGT, Turbo T360trim,T3T4E 50 trim,T3T4E57 trim Parted out!
                  1998 Volvo S70, The Brick
                  1999 Red Volvo S70 T5 The Red Devil, modded
                  1998 Black V70R AWD, The Waggo with mods

Comment

why do people think turbo its bad? like everybody is like ohhh noo dont use it on a dd ? i mean i know that u take a risk but you take a risk on everything like someone said, either sc/ turbo or nitrous...but if i do anything ill probably do either turbo or nitrous..

and swaping motors is no the problem, me and my brother know how, he works a mitsubishi so he have accees to all tools and lift..but i juwst dont feel like doing it often...

so i like he idea of a fully bolt on de with ze parts and run a 75..

the zex kits look pretty good, but they dont have a specific one for the probe, do i get a universal wet kit for the 4 and 6 cyl?? what other things do i need to have a "safe" kit? bottle warmer, rpm window switch? what else?

Comment

if you use millina s rods,a quality supporting cast of parts for turbo, and get a good tune on the mega squirt it can be a good dd as long as you dont beat the hell out of it all the time.

there are guys on here that have been boosting a ze for several years

Comment

I personally would supercharge the car, but I don't have huge aspiration for high horse and torque numbers.
                        97 red PGT-ZE

Comment

Since my motor pop in May/June, i have been running 9# on my DD with no issues. When the weather is nice, i romp on it lots. But i'm careful not to run 5th gear boost sessions like crazy any more, and if the car acts up at all its no boost until i get it sorted out.
                          BC Probe Owners Club is VERY MUCH ALIVE - www.bcpoc.ca
                          93 PGT 2.5L SILVER - Stock DE, ZE Intake Manifold, T3/T4 .50/.63 AR Turbo, Valant Turbo Pipes, Tial 38mm Wastegate (~9PSI), Custom Water/Meth Injection, Megasquirt v3 (MSnS-Extra 029q2 Fuel/Spark), Millennia Injectors @ 70psi, 65mm TB, JJ Resonated TP, Centerforce DF Clutch, MX3 Flywheel, AWR Mounts, it begins all over again...
                          93 PGT 2.5L BLACK Dismantled
                          GARAGE - The hybrid with a piston hole... lots of various leftovers...

Comment

I think you would be happy with either. An s/c setup is easier to do, usually, but most op to put it in place of the a/c, so you lose that. I started supercharged, then went turbo, cause I was looking for more boost, and more power..... If I were you, I would just start searching for cheap parts for either, and if you get something at a good price just go with it! For a DD it's just personal preference....

John
                            '93 PGT-T/S M62 supercharger,.57 trim T3/T4 turbo,
                            11.992@115 Twincharged on 10psi
                            11.941@111.66 Twincharged,23" Slicks, 1.749 60',14psi, spinning the clutch(123.7mph highest trap)
                            RWD Probe-4.8L LS-TH400-3.25's-self tuned-in process.... Best time to date: 10.240@135.3mph, 3300lbs

Comment

yeah well im not gonna rush this, so ill have time to save cash and time to research, of course i want to do it right the first time, so what i was thinking was of doing the following for turbo.

ze heads
                              ze cams
                              65mm tb
                              millenia rods
                              stock pistons
                              megasquirt
                              bigger injectors "nissan"?
                              255 walbro fuel pump

stage 3 clutch
                              mx3 fw
                              tranny saver

and run about 10 pounds of boost

i plan on racing, but not beat the crap out of it on the daily basis, just like one day outta the week, i want to have like a agressive tune on 10 psi and a low boost setting and tuned at 5 psi

Comment

Working...
                              X