vris controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vris controller

Hey everyone. I am thinking of doing a N2O setup on my 94 gt and in my research i found some mention of a vris controller. I have unfortunatly not been able to find one anywhere. my question is can i buy this anywhere or is this a custom piece? Also if it is custom do any of you Gurus know who will make one for me?

Thanks for any info
    Jake
    1994 GT MTX

they are called MSD switches. they control VRIS by RPM. This brings up the topic of VRIS with nitrous. personally i have ran nitrous with functioning vris and didnt have a problem. but this is with a ze manifold where there isnt much restriction inside the mnaifold.
    Leo
    94 PGTze - sold vid 1 vid 3 vid 2
    98 Pontiac firebird formula WS6 the race car.
    95 PGT-T..AKA..The ReD GhoSt KLDE turbo Built by me ..sold

Comment

I "jack" mine up a litttle differently. On my KLDE I plumbed in 3 additional VRIS solenoids, wired up to the arming switch on my NMU. The first added VRIS solenoid simply locks #1 VRIS in the up position. #2 VRIS lifts and locks, it is more complicated requiring 2 additional solenoids. Disarming the NMU returns full function of the stock VRIS system to the PCM.
      Last edited by earl8245; October 9, 2010, 09:41 AM.
      '94 PGT - MTX, KLG4 IM/xtremethings ECU, CAI, Headers, cat delete, Magnaflow, STS, Phenos, HEI mod, XTD 6-puck on a molly flywheel, Walbro 190, ZEX wet system, "Jacked" VRIS, pillar gauges, nav, Kitted & Winged. Why you so slow?

Comment

wow just tie them open
        02 Lexus Is 300
        06 GSX-R 600
        99 Monte Carlo

Comment

Tried it, didn't like it.
          '94 PGT - MTX, KLG4 IM/xtremethings ECU, CAI, Headers, cat delete, Magnaflow, STS, Phenos, HEI mod, XTD 6-puck on a molly flywheel, Walbro 190, ZEX wet system, "Jacked" VRIS, pillar gauges, nav, Kitted & Winged. Why you so slow?

Comment

thanks for the info guys
            1994 GT MTX

Comment

Personally, I would leave the first one as-is and tie the second one open.

MSD window switches are what you are looking for though.
              John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
              '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
              '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
              '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

I have the original vris controller if anyone is interested in it. It's the one with the dile in knobs. In the alluminum box. I originally got it from andy (hppwdn) wich he got it from the original person who made them. I think only a few of these were made.
                Last edited by allmotor95pgt; June 8, 2010, 06:26 AM.
                97 regal gs,L32 swap,vs cam,zzp fullsize ic,2.9mps,42.5lb inj,zzp polly mounts,custom 4" open cone intake,SD headers,fp rewire,stage1vb,alt rewire,wrapped crossover pipe,hp tune,160 dr tstat,AL103's,3"mb exhaust,eibach springs,kyb struts,aem wide band,duel scanguages. 13.2@107mph 1/4 mile.

Comment

Alright MrJake here you go.

As you know, vacuum to the VRIS actuator is controlled by the VRIS solenoid. When the PCM energizes the solenoid, vacuum flows from the bottom port through the center port of the solenoid to trigger the actuator. When the solenoid is turned off, vacuum is turned off at the bottom port and air is then let back in the top port which goes through the center port allowing the actuator to release. Knowing how this valve works is important.

This mod only temporarily re-directs vacuum to the actuators, leaving the stock VRIS system intact and fully functional.

For a KLDE you will need 3 additional working VRIS solenoids, 2 vacuum line T fittings, 3 Vacuum caps about 6 feet of vacuum hose and electrical wire and connectors.
                  For a KLZE you will need 4 solenoids, 4 T fittings, 4 vacuum caps.

Alright let's start with VRIS #1 on a KLDE.

VRIS #1 (passenger side) is already open at idle and stays open until 6,500 RPMs. We only need to keep it from shutting.

Remove the hose between #1 actuator and the center port on #1 solenoid. Run a new hose from the center port of VRIS solenoid #1 to the center port of one of the new solenoids. Remove the filter from the top port on the new solenoid and run a new hose from this port to the actuator. Now attach a vacuum cap on the bottom port of this new solenoid.

The length of hose depends on where you want to place the new solenoid, I zip tied mine to the brake line on the firewall.

This new solenoid that you just installed is a shut off valve. When energized, vacuum is locked in the actuator not allowing it to drop when the PCM shuts off the stock VRIS solenoid.

KLZE motors will use the same method for VRIS #1 as the KLDE VRIS #2.

Now onto VRIS #2 (Drivers side).

Remove the vacuum hose from the bottom port of VRIS solenoid #2 and attach a T fitting to the hose. Attach a length of hose from one side of the T fitting back to the bottom port of solenoid #2. Attach another length of hose from the other barb of the T fitting and attach to bottom port of a new solenoid (let's call this one solenoid B).

Remove the hose from #2 actuator and install a 6 inch length of new hose and install a T fitting on the end.

Attach a length of hose from the center port of solenoid B to one side of the T fitting on the actuator. Remove the filter from the top port of of solenoid B and attach a vacuum cap.

Now remove the hose from the center port of solenoid #2, (this hose is now unused). Run a new length of hose from this port to the center port of a new solenoid (solenoid C). Remove the filter from the top port of solenoid C and run a new length of hose from this port to the remaining barb on the T fitting attached to actuator #2. Attach a vacuum cap to the bottom port of solenoid C.

When energized, solenoid C shuts off the flow from the stock #2 VRIS solenoid to the actuator (both vacuum and vent) and allows solenoid B to apply constant vacuum.
                  Turning off solenoids B and C returns control of the actuator back to the stock VRIS solenoid.

I wired my 3 new solenoids directly to the power wire on my Nitrous Management Unit. They do not take much power to run. Just ground one terminal of the solenoid and attach the other to the arming switch in a "daisy chain" and your done.

Once they are plumbed and wired, test them. Start the motor make sure #1 is open. Turn on the nitrous arming switch #2 should open. Leave the arming switch on and turn off the motor. Both #1 and #2 should stay open. Turn off the arming switch and both should close. With the motor off, turn the arming switch back on and #2 should open. #2 will open and close as long as there is vacuum in it's pot. Remember #1 is not going to go up and down like #2 because it's rigged up to only lock it in the up position.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds, and it works great.

I'm sure there are questions and I'd be happy to answer them.

I now have vacuum and electrical diagrams available for this mod. Email me at: outboardbuilder@hotmail.com if you are interested. Darin
                  Last edited by earl8245; October 29, 2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

sounds simple enough. thanks for the write up. i will probably be doing this myself.
                    1994 GT MTX

Comment

Nobody has a comment on this mod before it gets lost in the archives.

You guys are dull.

Comment

Good write up man. Just think of how many people are going to utilize it. As for me i just took the flaps out of my manifold for boost reasons but if you want to keep them i would say that is the way to go.

Comment

what if you have ms. Does the ms sysem control the vris?
                          Here is the 96 gt turbo No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque 8psi

Comment

If it has the option yes megasquirt can control vris
                            1993 MX6 LS
                            2007 E90 335i FBO

Comment

ok i wonder if mine works lol.
                              Here is the 96 gt turbo No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque 8psi

Comment

Working...
                              X