HOWTO: Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOWTO: Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement

Well after running around with a clanking noise every time I run ove a bump, not to mention not being able to align the car and having my steering wheel jerked about at randon. I decided to get some bushings. My passenger side was completely busted. After searching for a bit I found the SuperPro bushings, I only installed the front ones which are part # SPF1843K which are ~$50 plus shipping. They also make rear control arm bushings, but I didn't get those because they were $100 plus shipping. There are 3 models for the rear bushings, regular caster, positive caster, and negative caster. You probably can figure out what is the difference between them.

This is the packaging:

What they look out of the package:

If you are wondering how the hell I got the stock bushings out, well there are two solutions. 1.) Burning them off, but the smell of burn rubber and the risk of damaging something with the torch isn't to appealing to me. 2.) I decided to put my engineering degree to the test and made my own little tool. Its basically a threaded rod, you pass it through the hole on the bushing and put a nut and washer on the end. On the other end slide over a peice of pipe bigger than the bushing. I used a 2.5" diameter, about 6" long pipe, I then got a flat peice of steel and drilled a hole through it and put another not. Now to remove the bushing just turn the nut and after a few minutes you will have witness the birth of a stock control arm bushing. Below is a pic of my tool.... well my tool is bigger than that, let me clarify, the tool I made to remove the control arm bushing.

The tool installed removing the bushing, for another angle:

Stock bushing removed:

New bushings greased and installed:

Installed and bolted on:

Another view

The other side I had to hammer the bushing out because it came apart since it was broken.

Questions...?

Just for shitz and gigglez, me tearing it up at ZoomZoomLive last weekend.
    Last edited by funzie; October 21, 2005, 07:42 AM.
    270whp - 251tq

$mycar = driving(FALSE, TRUE);
    function driving($filter, $turbo) { if(!$filter && $turbo) { return TRUE; } else { return FALSE; } }

I remember last year I had to do that I had my car on my hoist for it's bi-weekly oil change and checked for play and noticed that the front of my wheel moved left and right like a good 1-1.5 inches.... I torched mine out and then I forget what I used to press it in.
    Kevin Heisler

90 JDM Fairlady Z , twin turbo lots of stuff done already but not enough space in the sig

Comment

To put the front ones in you just push them in with your hands, the rear ones would be trickier.
      270whp - 251tq

function driving($filter, $turbo) { if(!$filter && $turbo) { return TRUE; } else { return FALSE; } }

Comment

I had to press mine in and mine looked pretty different.. then again mine was from mazda (around 20 bucks canadian my cost) so I dont know but I remember when I did it it wasnt a crazy amount of force needed like a c clamp did it with a piece of wood it was pretty simple. It was the first small repair I had to do on the car before that I replaced everything else so I was happy to have a little piece wear out
        Last edited by KM_heisler; October 19, 2005, 08:58 PM.
        Kevin Heisler

90 JDM Fairlady Z , twin turbo lots of stuff done already but not enough space in the sig

Comment

Oh, ok, I didn't know you were talking about stock ones, yes those you would need to press in, probably the reverse of how I took mine out.
          270whp - 251tq

Comment

those are poly ones right?
            '04 Silver Mazda3s Hatch... not really stock
            '89 Blue Jeep Cherokee 4x4....yea this isn't stock either
            '46 Gray Pontiac Coupe.. this one is very stock
            '02 Red/Black Honda CBR 600 F4i... some go fast goodies

Comment

Originally posted by knb13
              those are poly ones right?
              That is correct.
              270whp - 251tq

Comment

Yo funzie. Where'd you order them from? I found one website, but they're out of stock. Also, has anyone ever resolved the superpro problems that they were having like a year ago? I'm about to buy these, but not if they'll just screw up.

Comment

My control arm bushing was nowhere near one piece when I replaced the control arm.

Nice bushings, I should have done that 2-3 years ago I needed a new balljoint also, so no biggie.
                  Last edited by pgt4speed; October 21, 2005, 06:51 AM.
                  Sandon Lettieri
                  1993 Probe GT - KLZE & Stuff - 172whp / 161wtq - 146k
                  2013 Focus ST - Stock & Stuff - 251whp / 290wtq - 142k

Comment

Originally posted by pgt4speed
                    My control arm bushing was nowhere near one piece when I replaced the control arm.

Nice bushings, I should have done that 2-3 years ago I needed a new balljoint also, so no biggie.
                    when you put a new balljoint in , tack it in place
                    Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos ....
                    What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.

Pearl '92 Audi //S4 GT3071R, running 27 psi
                    Lava gray '14 Audi //SQ5, Chipwerke, 034 Intake Pipe
                    For PSP Awareness click here

Comment

Global preformance in Michigan has them listed on thier site. $50 seems to be the going rate.
                      Droz: All right, whaddya need? Bottle Rockets, dental dams, ready whips, term papers?

Comment

nice writeup and great pictures! Thanks for the contribution and time!

Mike
                        96 PGT - 14.639 @ 91.54 mph N/A 2.025 60' - 2605 lbs
                        CS Lip ll Megasquirt ll ZE-IM ll Hotshot Headers ll PRM CAI ll Illuminas/Intrax ll 6 puck/MX3 FW ll RR Shifter ll 19" Giovanna Kobell Black Roof ll Black Leather
                        93 PGT-ZE - 14.433 @ 96.06mph N/A 2.159 60' - street tires - 2555lbs
                        ZEX ll Seli Cams ll Walbro ll Fidanza/DXD ll Addco ll PS Headers ll 65mm TB ll PRM CAI ll Blues and GC's ll MX6 Black Leather

Comment

Thanks for the great write up and pics. The 'tool' you gave instructions for making worked bloody well.

Saved me a few bucks.

Comment

Hmm, I may have to do this when my car is sitting without an engine.

What solutions do we have for the rear-most front control arm bushing? The one that is in its own housing and bolts to the body and the control arm?
                            Kevin B - Former Probe-owner
                            06 Legacy GT
                            98 Legacy GT

Comment

Originally posted by ouch1011
                              What solutions do we have for the rear-most front control arm bushing? The one that is in its own housing and bolts to the body and the control arm?
                              That would be the caster, they also sell that one. With different types of caster too, +/- and stock.
                              270whp - 251tq

Comment

Working...
                              X