FrankenProbe work log, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
    Well I know I will never complain again about lining up an input shaft through a single clutch disc again....after having to do it through 2. Ended up pulling the engine out (it takes about half an hour to pull the engine out of this car anyway) since I didn't want to jack up the expensive clutch or the expensive(r) PAR input shaft. She's mated up now (the RWD transmission jack is freaking awesome), next up is an oil pan swap since the return will be in a different spot now.
    Didnt I tell you about my trials of doing the same? I thought I did, its been a long time since we talked though . No engine hoist or tranny jack for me either...its all sorts of fun to try and gently manouver the (much heavier) H-type transmission and try not to bend the clutch plates. Yeeeeah, not so much. :/

I had to do that twice after I discovered that the input shafts splines were too shallow and bottomed out on the clutch discs. That had the clutch discs clamped down and engaged all the time, wheeee. Luckily the fix was as simple as getting the discs with thinner, hardened spline interfaces and QMI did that for free (w00t).

I think what Ill do is find a dead transmission and get the input shaft from it and use that as the clutch centering tool. The plastic jobbie that comes with most kits simply do not work well for twin disc clutches.

Looking good Dan, Im actually curious enough that you might actually be able to convince me to go up to Sac raceway to see this thing run. 17.8lbs? Kinda....porky dont ya think?

Gavin

Comment

Originally posted by gavin View Post

I think what Ill do is find a dead transmission and get the input shaft from it and use that as the clutch centering tool. The plastic jobbie that comes with most kits simply do not work well for twin disc clutches.

Gavin

That's probably the way to do it. The plastic centering piece got pretty stripped when I was trying to get the 2 discs inline.

Did your clutch pedal travel distance change at all? Mine seems to be shortened quite a bit (will probably have to install a travel stop on the pedal) but I have to tweak it a bit more.
      90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
      93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
      97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
      90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Dan, it looks like you have your piping sorted out already, thought I throw this in there anyway:

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...ool_Valve/3659

This works very well with divided T4 turbine housings.
        Now driving a 2006 350Z, Custom turbo and loving the RWD at 402whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha View Post
          Dan, it looks like you have your piping sorted out already, thought I throw this in there anyway:

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...ool_Valve/3659

This works very well with divided T4 turbine housings.

Wow, $500 for something like that? You could just correctly size your powerband/turbo/piping and avoid that expense. Or use the extra $500 to upgrade to VATN, if they still make those.

Turbo lag is my friend at the moment, given lack of traction. One of the reasons I went for journal vs. ball bearing (also expense and ease of rebuild). Having the power band higher is ok for now.
          90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
          93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
          97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
            Did your clutch pedal travel distance change at all? Mine seems to be shortened quite a bit (will probably have to install a travel stop on the pedal) but I have to tweak it a bit more.
            Shorter lever arm on the clutch release fingers

Yeah, the pedal travel distance will be shorter and feel a bit heavier(though much better than mega pressure plate clutches), also the clutch engagement point when you release the clutch pedal will be shorter and more abrupt as well.

It takes a bit to get the hang of it as its a little different than the action of high PP clutches. The plates will be very grabby when new (when the surface wears in a little It will get marginally better) and the lack of mass makes it easy to stall. The trick is to work within the narrow engagement point without slipping the clutch too much. They simply dont have the mass to deal with heat well. It gets better though.

I did install a clutch stop in my car. As it turns out the 1st gen has a clutch stop, I just changed it to be adjustable and reset it to engage the clutch pedal at the depth I wanted. If the 2nd gen has the same, you could do that as well.

Gavin

Comment

Today I finished the pass. side mount, that one was a PITA, but it's done. Motor is in, sitting on 3 mounts, rock solid. I'll be adding a differential brace sitting on a custom cross member and a front mount, probably sitting on a custom traction bar setup.

Also welded up the v-band flanges on the header primaries, tomorrow I redo the secondaries hopefully all the way to the turbine inlet.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/7ed567e1.jpg
              Last edited by Dan [Sac]; August 26, 2010, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Damn...50 bucks to turn the piping into squares? Good deal! I need to find someone to do that for me for cheap..

Looks good Dan! Post pics of the diff brace when you get it done if you don't mind.
                John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
                '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
                '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
                '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

Got the one cold pipe done today, dramatic reduction in length from air to water. With the air intercooler, I had about 8 feet of pipe between intercooler exit and TB (and about 440* worth of bends). With the new stuff, less than a foot of piping with about 180* total turns. Also size upgrade from 2 1/4" to 3".

Had to make a temporary top cross bar to hang the turbo from so I can locate it accurately (hadn't set it yet when I snapped these pics) to finish the secondary piping from headers to turbine inlets.

Once all the piping is done I hope to have enough money left for ceramic coating (inside and out) of all pipes, due to the proximity of some things to others....

Also, ice water box will be located in the cabin, on the pass. side floor. Just not enough room between starter and brake booster to make it comfortably fit in there. At least this lets me keep the crankcase vents and expensive -12AN fittings where they are and I can use reinforced/mylar sleeved rubber hose for the water.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/76341f7b.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/5b9e71a4.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/68264f1c.jpg
                  Last edited by Dan [Sac]; September 4, 2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

This build just gets better and better.
                    2010 Ford Fusion
                    I am a working stiff with no toy car at the moment
                    I'm not a probe owner but im still a probe enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by 007 GTS View Post
                      This build just gets better and better.

It shure does! and I will have to say that when it comes to speed and power in orginallity we gotta give it to dan! Frankenprobe has to be the badest power house of all front wheel drive kl or fs power! Go Dan keep up the awsome work buddy!
                      Would love for pmo/pro to give me my 2000 veilside hyundai tiburon back and the several thousands of dollars they owe me or the parts!

Comment

Dan, are you keeping the stock water pump?
                        '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
                        '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

Comment

Yeah, I have no plans on changing that, since I won't rev too high and it's done a fine job keeping things cool thus far.

Comment

Ok, cool..yeah I forget with a turbo you don't need 10k rpm, lol.

Comment

Looking good dan! Of course you dont NEED 10k....you only need 9 lol.

I wish there was a way to make the KL rev to 9k safely for a season on a stock pump. Even 8-8.5 would be nice, even if it meant replacing the pump every season.
                              Last edited by Jarod7920; August 18, 2010, 01:42 PM.
                              -J-Rod-
                              301whp 293wtq 9.5psi 14 degrees back under the knife (high compression & spray)
                              93 PGT-T
                              96 PGT Reacquired, Revived, and Resold
                              08 Mazdaspeed 3 Allwheel drive 5857..Blah blah blah

Comment

Today I finished the pipes up to the turbo. Also welded the downpipe complete, and welded the bung for the BOV flange.

Made my own 2-into-1 merge collector (1.5" pipe) for the wastegate. Not the prettiest thing, but it will do the job. Tacked it on the secondaries, tomorrow I'll finish welding it up and also the wastegate exhaust pipe and the radiator hard lines.

That should just about take care of the turbo stuff, and the next step it the intercooler water plumbing.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/7538beb2.jpg
                                Last edited by Dan [Sac]; September 4, 2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X