91 Probe GT Resto Mod Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
    My work/daily is a v6 4x4 one of those. Bought it new in late 09 and ive already put over 223k on it. It keeps all the miles off my Mazda's.
    LOL mines an 08' V6 4x4 and I've put like 30K on it since I got it with 112K back in November of last year. I do a lot of highway driving so the miles add up quick but it's not real rough on it. My probe will be my DD once that's finished so I gotta be extra careful with that.

On a side note I'm having trouble finding longer wheel studs. I've searched through the forums here and PP but can't find what anyone else has used on a 1G. I deff need them because right now my wheels are only being held on by like maybe 5 threads and once I add my spacers that's gonna drop to like 1 at most. I read a thread earlier that said someone used Corvette studs but it didn't say what year they were from.

Anyone know where I can get longer wheel studs? I'd prefer stock thread (M12x1.5) but would be willing to go to a diff thread as long as I can get lug nuts that will fit into my wheels counter sunk pockets.

EDIT: Found the tread that has the part number for the ARP extended studs but I'm unsure if they will fit the 1G hubs. More research here I come.
    Last edited by 1990GTturbo; September 20, 2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Update:Finally bought some of the needed parts to fit my wheels correctly. I bought 1/2" hubcentric wheel spacers for the front and rear and I also bought some 12x1.5mm ARP wheel studs. With any luck this will solve my rubbing on the strut issue in the rear. I also ordered lug nuts but got an email today saying they were out of stock so now I have to either wait for restock or find a replacement set.

Spacers

Wheel Studs

Comment

Lug nuts arrived today a week later than expected. Can't do anything with them yet until I make sure my extended wheel studs will fit the 1G GT wheel hubs. Gonna try to fit a set this weekend if I get time. According to Rock Auto's specs on a stock stud and what I bought (M12x1.5 ARP Late Model GM WSK studs) they should fit because they have the same 0.5" knurl diameter. Only time will tell if they will fit or not.

M12x1.5 50mm long Lug Nuts

Comment

Front took very little work to install the studs. Just remove the entire caliper bracket assembly (caliper and mount bracket) and rotate the hub till a stud lines up with where the caliper would be. Big hammer and a little effort and the studs pop right out. I installed the new studs using an impact gun and some white lithium grease for lube on the stud. Everything fits perfect and fully lowered on my coil-over sleeves I'm pretty much hella flush with the outside of my front fenders. I didn't take pictures of the install but the fronts are super easy to do. Wheels are 17x7 +42mm with 215/50R17 rubber. Half inch spacers and 2.5 inch extended studs is what it took to make the wheels fit without rubbing on my struts and rear trailing arms.

I'm not even gonna get into the lengths that I had to go to install the rear studs. Lets just say if you have ABS then your in for a lot of work. The entire rear rotor needs to be pulled from the car and then the ABS sensor ring needs to be pulled off the rotor carefully. Once that's done just pop the studs out with a big hammer and install the new ones the same way as the front. I didn't have anything big enough to re-install the ABS ring so I had to get creative but I do have access to a press which made things a lot easier.

Comment

Making slow progress. I was wandering around a local store the other day and happened upon some paint that they had by the gallon or in a spray can so I found a color that I liked and bought a spray can. This is the result. This is just a test panel to see what the color would look like and I kind of like it. The color on the can says Safety Red/Ford Red.

Withough HDR on an iPhone 4:

With HDR on an iPhone 4:

Paint still needs to fully dry down but this was after about an hour and it was still tacky to the touch. I also bought a spray can of gloss black and if I like how that turns out then I may paint the car either red or black. Haven't decided yet.
            Last edited by 1990GTturbo; January 4, 2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I like the red.. I think it'll be different.

Comment

Originally posted by zerialz View Post
                I like the red.. I think it'll be different.
                I like it so far. I'm just hoping it will darken a bit since when it's fresh wet it's really bright. I also have a can of gloss black that I'm going to try once I see how the red turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990GTturbo View Post
                  Lug nuts arrived today a week later than expected. Can't do anything with them yet until I make sure my extended wheel studs will fit the 1G GT wheel hubs. Gonna try to fit a set this weekend if I get time. According to Rock Auto's specs on a stock stud and what I bought (M12x1.5 ARP Late Model GM WSK studs) they should fit because they have the same 0.5" knurl diameter. Only time will tell if they will fit or not.

M12x1.5 50mm long Lug Nuts
                  I like your nuts. Shheeeeeese..what a thing to say on P R O B E forum

Comment

Originally posted by ScottD961 View Post
                    I like your nuts. Shheeeeeese..what a thing to say on P R O B E forum
                    LOL well they are really subtle compared to how I thought they would look when I first found them on eBay. I'm glad I went with them instead of something else.

Comment

While I have my doors and such all sanded down I'm thinking about deleting the side moldings on the fenders, doors, and rear quarters (the ones half way up the doors and such). Whats peoples opinions on looks after it's been done? I can't seem to find any pictures of any that have been done after paint but I found a few of before and it looks good. I don't like the look of the side moldings at all on these cars. They just look to big and out of place. Messing with Photoshop I was able to remove them and get an idea of what it would look like on my parts car since I don't have any good pictures of my 91. Anyway if anyone has a picture or two feel free to post it in here or PM me cause I'm right at the stage now where I either keep them or ditch them and keep moving forward. I'm also tossing around the idea of deleting all the badgeing (ford emblems, probe emblem) for a cleaner look all around. I want people to have to ask what the car is since it's not very often you see a Probe in my neck of the woods.
                      Last edited by 1990GTturbo; January 28, 2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990GTturbo View Post
                        While I have my doors and such all sanded down I'm thinking about deleting the side moldings on the fenders, doors, and rear quarters (the ones half way up the doors and such). Whats peoples opinions on looks after it's been done? I can't seem to find any pictures of any that have been done after paint but I found a few of before and it looks good. I don't like the look of the side moldings at all on these cars. They just look to big and out of place. Messing with Photoshop I was able to remove them and get an idea of what it would look like on my parts car since I don't have any good pictures of my 91. Anyway if anyone has a picture or two feel free to post it in here or PM me cause I'm right at the stage now where I either keep them or ditch them and keep moving forward. I'm also tossing around the idea of deleting all the badgeing (ford emblems, probe emblem) for a cleaner look all around. I want people to have to ask what the car is since it's not very often you see a Probe in my neck of the woods.
                        I know you're on performanceprobe too.. Go have a look at EVERYDETAIL's car.. His has a seamless body. I personally dig it. Makes it look a little more modern but, it has to be done right.

Comment

These are kinda rough but you get the idea at what I'm looking to do. I did the drivers side with no door handle/key lock as a joke. They will not be shaved off at all. It was more of a test to see how the car looks without them. Granted it does look good, but I have no interest in installing door poppers and all the electronics to make it work. I took the liberty of shaving the rear third brake light just to see how it looks and it really cleans up the rear of the car. I'm also on the fence about filling in the GT embossing black. I probably won't but again these are just a rough idea of what I'm thinking of doing. If I do shave the center brake light then the center reflector may get modded and turned into the third brake light. I haven't decided on that yet. And since I don't know enough about Photoshop to make the lights light up I really cant visualize how the center reflector would look all lit up. If someone is good with Photoshop feel free to mess with the rear and post it so I can get a general idea of how it would look. I have more than one center reflector so modding one to light up wouldn't take much work. I personally think it would look good having a full strip of light going from the drivers to passengers side but to each his own I suppose.

Comment

Updates:
                            Been working at the car slowly and I finally have something worth posting on here. Test fitted the front end (nothing is bolted down tight hence the gaps in the body lines) of the car to make sure everything fits proper and then got down to painting on some sealer primer on the things that were ready for it. I can't stress this enough that I am not a painter and this will be the first car that I've actually torn apart and gone through completely. Details below.

Comment

Looks great man! Keep it coming.
                              Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Cars looks good, keep the pics coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X