No announcement yet.

1989 Probe GT barn find rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey I have a couple of questions. I have a '89 GT as well. Right now the wheels and suspensions are stock. I really want bigger rims and tires on my car. However, I don't really want to lower it as touching the suspension isn't really my thing. I was thinking 17" inch rims and a little wider and bigger tires to fill the wheel gaps in the back and front.

Questions:

1) How big are your tires and rims and are you running spacers?
    2) Does your ride adjust still work even with coils or how you lowered your car? (sport, normal, soft)
    3) I really like those rims, what is it and does it come in black?

Comment

Originally posted by Lamboda View Post
      Hey I have a couple of questions. I have a '89 GT as well. Right now the wheels and suspensions are stock. I really want bigger rims and tires on my car. However, I don't really want to lower it as touching the suspension isn't really my thing. I was thinking 17" inch rims and a little wider and bigger tires to fill the wheel gaps in the back and front.

Questions:

1) How big are your tires and rims and are you running spacers?
      2) Does your ride adjust still work even with coils or how you lowered your car? (sport, normal, soft)
      3) I really like those rims, what is it and does it come in black?
      17's fit the car well, I'd say a perfect fit for a well balanced driver on stock style springs and struts use this setup:

17x7" wheel, +40 offset, 215/45-17 tire. I ran this setup for a long time, no rubs, filled the wells nicely, enough tire for a comfortable ride (popular tire size as well). (search my forum name there are pictures of my old car with this setup all over PT)

The ride adjustable struts on this car have been removed entirely so i no longer have that adjustability. I have the coils set about 3" lower than stock in the front and 2-2.5" out back.

The wheel setup on this car is more aggressive than what I previously mentioned and requires coil overs, fender rolling, spacers in the rear and a smaller profile tire to fit properly. The wheels I have do come in black and i do believe they are offered in the specs that would match your setup. They are xxr 535's

hope this helps
      1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
      1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
      2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
      2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
      2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Excellent find, that thing is gorgeous. 1g's are hard enough to find let alone an 89 PGT in that good condition
        PhotoPOC(tm)
        MM9 MMX FF FF2 FF3 FF4 FF5
        93' PGT not stock
        91' PLX MTX stock

95' Jaguar XJR 155mph La-z-boy recliner

Comment

Originally posted by j-dogg View Post
          Excellent find, that thing is gorgeous. 1g's are hard enough to find let alone an 89 PGT in that good condition
          Thanks!

Still missing this view, but the gt will make it there eventually

2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
          2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Originally posted by plx92 View Post
            17's fit the car well, I'd say a perfect fit for a well balanced driver on stock style springs and struts use this setup:

17x7" wheel, +40 offset, 215/45-17 tire. I ran this setup for a long time, no rubs, filled the wells nicely, enough tire for a comfortable ride (popular tire size as well). (search my forum name there are pictures of my old car with this setup all over PT)

The ride adjustable struts on this car have been removed entirely so i no longer have that adjustability. I have the coils set about 3" lower than stock in the front and 2-2.5" out back.

The wheel setup on this car is more aggressive than what I previously mentioned and requires coil overs, fender rolling, spacers in the rear and a smaller profile tire to fit properly. The wheels I have do come in black and i do believe they are offered in the specs that would match your setup. They are xxr 535's

hope this helps
            Awesome thanks man! So if I'm looking for 17x7s I have to get +40 offset or it depends on the rims? And do I need spacers too?

Comment

Picked up a parts car this past weekend, drivetrain has been rebuilt with 10k on it. fidanza and dxd clutch kit with around 5k on it. tons of other parts, came with a bunch of extras including brand new oem mazda control arm bushings and gaskets. Underside is rotted pretty bad and its been hit in the front so there is no saving this guy, will help finish up my car and give me a spare drivetrain that seems pretty healthy given the dyne sheets i found lol. Look for a part out soon

2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
              2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Picked up the a 12" front brake kit locally, wilwood 4 pistons calipers up front, 2 pieces rotors, custom brackets, and hoses. Very cheap! Should be a nice upgrade over stock.

I was amazed at how light the whole setup is.

2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

This happened

2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                  2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Wish I could find some deals locally. Maybe I can swing by and pick up that Fidanza in a week or so if I'm in your area.
                    Hoser Shane
                    "No Ken, I don't work at the Gap"

Comment

• I was gonna say if you are close stop on by! but i think you'll be a few hours north of where i live down in ma.
                      2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                      2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Been a while,

Swapped the sun pro gauges for some more accurate autometers and added a boost gauge, still need to plumb the wiring to the senders, also will need to add a matching wideband soon.

Parts car also came with a mint drk grey center vent so i swapped that in to replace my broken one.

2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                        2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Spent the afternoon trying to be productive. So after discovering that the brake kits custom brackets were not going to "bolt on" I had to modify them slightly. The previous owner must have modified the knuckle to fit these. The caliper mounting ears impacted the knuckle arms before allowing the bracket to line up. IT was off by 3-4mm. So, to rectify, I was able to shave a couple mm's off both the caliper ears and the knuckle to allow the clearance for mounting. Didn't remove much material at all, just enough to fit everything together. Mocked everything up and it seams to fit for now! I'll have to check on lca clearance before final installation.

So, off came the lca's to have the moog ball joints pressed in and tacked, will also be replace the bushings with the oem mazda's that were included with the parts car. Hopefuly have the done soon so I can get the ss hoses etc fitted up.

In other news, sourced an fcon unit with harness locally along with an HKS evc2. On the hunt for a complete HKS GCC if anyone has a lead to complete that setup. Bunch of other parts arrived as well, new fuel tank, which needs to be sealed up, new master cylinder, and an whiteline suspension bushing kit for the rear arms. Hope to have some more updates soon!

-Nick
                          Last edited by plx92; December 21, 2014, 09:39 PM.
                          2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                          2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• So decided to say f it and I bought whiteline front lca bushings as well. In addition to sway bar bushings and new shifter stabilizer bushings. Once they are here I'll have the front back together and finish the brake install. Contemplating painting the inner fender wells with some chassis black paint just to clean everything up.
                            2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                            2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Really nice work. Haven't posted on this site for years, but occasionally look at what the "younger" generations are doing with the first gens (still have mine after almost 20 years of ownership). Yours was nice enough that I had to give it a
                              1989 Ford Probe GT stock turbo, HKS I/C Pipes, SBC TZ clutch, KVR cadmium/slotted rotors & pads, SMC SS brake lines, K&N filter, intake silencer-delete, A/C-delete, FSTB, Probesport RSTB, Probesport STS, custom mandrel stainless exhaust with Magnaflow muffler and highflow cat, Tokico "blues", Eibach Pro Kit, Yokahama Avid H4's on 17" Enkei TBS-11's, Raxles axles, Energy Suspension endlinks, ARP cyl head stud and exhaust manifold stud conversions

Comment

• Originally posted by 89probegt View Post
                                Really nice work. Haven't posted on this site for years, but occasionally look at what the "younger" generations are doing with the first gens (still have mine after almost 20 years of ownership). Yours was nice enough that I had to give it a
                                Thanks for the kind words! Trying to do my part to keep a dying platform alive.
                                2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                                2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Working...
                                X