This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ProbeTalk.com Tower

So I was cleaning my room and came across a bundle of balsa wood (9mm x 3mm x 3ft) and instead of throwing it away and going back to watching TV like I should, I decided to build a tower - now it won't be Taipei 101 or the Petronas Tower, but I thought PT should have its own landmark!

These are just the preliminary steps - more pics will come in the next few days of the actual building progress, and I'll even have little workers that I'll name (Supergoat, get back to work!)

I'm no architect, nor do I have any structural engineering background, but I've always been fascinated by skyscrapers, and this is my first balsa wood building attempt...

The model would be a 1:240 scale (1 inch = 20 feet) and I got most of my pieces within less than a 1.0 mm (1/32"). The base drawing is 1:1 scale to the model, and the tower drawing is 1:6 scale to the model. In real life, the building would be 720 feet tall to the roof, and a little over 800 feet with the spire. By comparison, the Empire State Building is about 1400 feet with the spire. My model will end up being about 42" tall with the spire.

I haven't decided on the outside finish yet.

Last edited by Dan [Sac]; May 21, 2006, 10:53 PM.
    90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
    93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
    97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
    90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

You are retarded.... I don't even know what else to say...
    2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport- Traded

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- Totaled

Comment

Dan, you're definitely the Michaelangelo of probetalk. that, or you got way way too much time on your hand.
      the probe tower is a little pointy, no? wouldn't that make an extremely painful probe?

david

Comment

why dont you make it in the shape of a probe?
        Josh - NMPOC
        02 Lexus IS300 | work in progress (2JZ-GTE coming soon)
        05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon | lots of mods | 261whp 268wtq

Comment

dan, looks like u could use some assistance from me
          NCPOC > BAPOC > SCPOC > FlaPOC > MIPOC

Comment

Hm, Should put a matchbox probe on the top of that tower for good measure, and dude, WAY to much time.
            There is two known theories on how to argue with a woman, neither of them work.

Comment

all i can say is

................wow

Comment

I think it's kinda cool

Keep up the good work!

~Brad

1977 Ford F250 4x4 - 460CID = 7.5L. Enough said?
                1999 Mazda Miata - Stock, and blue!
                2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - The usual mods!

Comment

Since it is a PROBE tower, make it in the shape of a giant dildo.
                  PhotoPOC(tm)
                  MM9 MMX FF FF2 FF3 FF4 FF5
                  93' PGT not stock
                  91' PLX MTX stock

95' Jaguar XJR 155mph La-z-boy recliner

Comment

It's not a PROBE tower, it's the Probetalk.com tower...and if anything, it looks more like the Saturn V rocket than anything else...sheesh

Ray, your help I will need with my headlight inner housing design (foam & fiberglass), not balsa wood

Ok, construction on the site has begun. As you can see in pic 1, materials are arriving, but Supergoat has other thoughts (probably thinking about his next Daily Goat piece instead of focusing on the task at hand - I mean, look at him, just leaning on the shovel, trying to stay awake!).

Here, some foundation work is in progress. Poopa is shoveling, but white fuzzy things are definitely on his mind. Old Balls is leaning on the jackhammer but it only looks like he's working - it's really a vibrating walker for him. Phreak is manning the pick-axe, keeping an eye on the situation.

Safety is job 1!!! Here the first main beams are being put in place. I ran out of wood glu...errr, concrete, so work is done for a day or so till I secure more materials. Hope it won't rain this week, pouring concrete foundations in the wet is a PITA!

Last edited by Dan [Sac]; May 21, 2006, 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                    93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                    97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
                    90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

dorks i tell you ... dorks....
                      1982 FIAT SPIDER 2000. Rear wheel drive classic fun!

Comment

*subscribes*

Comment

Oh I see this to become a very...very fun thread haha.
                          There is two known theories on how to argue with a woman, neither of them work.

Comment

WoW...
                            Those who are quickest to condemn my generation forget who raised it.
                            When the rich wage war, Its the poor who die.

Comment

haha thats freakin awesome
                              I love probes
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3311911

Comment

Working...
                              X