Turbo 5.0 MS1 success story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo 5.0 MS1 success story

Well my buddy who once had his Fox body supercharged at 6psi, recently went single turbo, running his factory ECU with a "tune", he wasn't happy with the fact he had to keep sending his Ford EECV chip to someone for a new tune. He didn't want to pay local shops $400+ for a dyno tune so I eventually convinced him to MS the biotch.
    He ordered the MS1 from DIY, brought it over to me and after 12 straight hours I built it and made a custom PNP harness he wanted. Then spent 7 hours getting the car to fire, as his stock harness was no longer stock.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...2-17.45.05.jpg
    https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...2-17.45.20.jpg

FOllowed the board mod & install instructions on DIY website to the -T-
    Hooked it up with
    MSD 6btn
    Msns Extra code 029y
    Launch control
    Fan control output
    Water/Meth injection output
    PWM idle control mods

Used the factory temps sensors and they are dead on, compared to a Infrared thermometer!
    Used the MSD tach output hooked up to his aftermarket tach for now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mac1; July 3, 2011, 02:35 AM.
    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Let see this thing run.
    Here is the 96 gt turbo No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque 8psi

Comment

Agreed, that has to be a BEAST!
      93 silver PGT-T----> Turbo parted. Car sold as of 5/4/12

2009 Mazdaspeed3 GT--> Metro grey metallic, SRI, short shift plate.

Comment

spent 1 hour today tuning the driveability, base timing was 40degrees off! Got the idle working and found the w/g spring was set at 6psi which felt slow. Later today we'll have another go at it and get some video. He had a boost controller and a boost guage which was reading under 10psi when MT was reading 15psi. Now he understands why his car beat a Vette with ease. He boost guage must have a leaky compression fitting, all the more reason why I love MS and the on screen boost guage.

The owner is really loving the fact he can now tune it himself, showing him what i've learned over 7 years. I'm happy for him and to get another street racer on MS other then just me. Even though lots of people dont believe in the potential of street tuning, they just dont take into consideration the need to re-tune every time you change things around.
        Last edited by mac1; July 4, 2011, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Mike ))) I am next man )))) glade you know that much about the megasquirt

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

BTW Mike, how did you wire up the injectors? I am talking about the order.
          Did you wire up one side with (4 injectors) bank 1 and another side ( 4 injectors) bank 2?
          Last edited by supercharged3.0; July 5, 2011, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Did it exactly as DIY recommended.
            Attached Files

Comment

This shouldn't be the EE forum. Patting yourself on the back is what the pic/vid forums are for.

Get that thing on the dyno/track
              I believe in moderation and that includes moderation.
              92 Lexus SC300 - 780whp/700tq 36+ psi

Comment

Seriously. What Jordan said!
                95 PGT MTX - Probezilla - Supercharged 'n Squirted ZE @ 8 psi
                93 FD - LSx 7.0L - 11.6@128.5 (w/ old rotary setup)
                89 DTM PGT - 49K ORIGINAL miles! - MINT! - Sold
                04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno
                Probezilla & The FD 540 RWHP/415 RWTQ @ 24.5 psi (past rotary setup)

Comment

Good job. Megasquirt is so versitile, even the MS1, which I still have and love.
                  This is what the megasquirt inventors envisioned. People that are sick of "tuning" chips and trying to get what they want out of a car with a stock computer.
                  I still remember way back when Rypazz tried to convince everyone in MIPOC at MM6 to megasquirt their cars and drive them to MM7. And that was before he had ever seen one functioning.
                  1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
                  2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                  2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Didn't want to put my thread here for a reason. If it get's dyno'd then it will be t check ouptut but not to tune, there's a reason he bought MS and that was to not pay for dyno tunes.

Right now I believe he has spark blowout at full boost, he thinks it's megasquirt cause it wasn't there before. His gap is .033" but I told him to go .025" for 11psi. He also has a leaky brake booster and boost guage, causing erratic idle.

Comment

cool glad to hear hes liking it. after all his concerns about going away from sequential injection

Comment

He may have a cracked manifold. Erratic idle and different boost readings (depending on where each signal is taken) also lends to this theory. I spent a year fighting a crazy idle erratic boost levels and an undiagnosed fuel leak. Only to realize after it grew to nearly half an inch, that my intake mani had a crack.. Wasted a huge amount of time and investment thinking it was everything but that...
                        the car that Chris created 93 base 2.0, bought 9/27/1997 ~ 4-wheels are a happy part of every one of my days
                        what's happening now ; what was happening ; old c-west ; photo timeline 97-early 08
                        the car=once bought.Custom=easy.RaceCar=respected/Earned~as a developed machine from repeated failures & wins & more time spent broken then driving! They are never done once and right as the myth suggests.

Comment

Originally posted by cityracer View Post
                          He may have a cracked manifold. Erratic idle and different boost readings (depending on where each signal is taken) also lends to this theory. I spent a year fighting a crazy idle erratic boost levels and an undiagnosed fuel leak. Only to realize after it grew to nearly half an inch, that my intake mani had a crack.. Wasted a huge amount of time and investment thinking it was everything but that...
                          Now that you mention it, I think it also has a leaky injector. It registers fuel in the wideband guage during decel when it should be pegged to full Lean. This is also causing a popping sound out the 4" open downpipe. 44lb injectors!

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 AM ----------

Originally posted by trmexrunner View Post
                          cool glad to hear hes liking it. after all his concerns about going away from sequential injection
                          DUde, I borrowed and read 2 full on books on tuning and stuff, my brain is full and i'll be ready to put it to use this afternoon. First we tune his then mine can get a look over. Need to back off the boost with this heat. Didn't get to have fun last weekend, but I should have new vids after tonight.
                          Last edited by mac1; July 8, 2011, 05:16 AM.

Comment

never posted vids cause he had constant overheating, and warping going on. Still overheats today but he's having a lil fun when possible.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cm3DGxQm6I&feature=related"]mustang 5.0 turbo small burnout - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
                              Now that you mention it, I think it also has a leaky injector. It registers fuel in the wideband guage during decel when it should be pegged to full Lean. This is also causing a popping sound out the 4" open downpipe. 44lb injectors!

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 AM ----------

DUde, I borrowed and read 2 full on books on tuning and stuff, my brain is full and i'll be ready to put it to use this afternoon. First we tune his then mine can get a look over. Need to back off the boost with this heat. Didn't get to have fun last weekend, but I should have new vids after tonight.
                              dude you need to move somewhere where the average heat index isn't 120 degrees
                              95 PGT white dd klze / mtx fidanza,maf swapped obx headers 2 1/2" mandrel bent 14.3 sec 1/4mile time
                              94 PGT blue toy de/ze/g4 hybrid/ mtx turbo 5- 10 psi maf swapped aem piggy back, fidanza mandrel bent exaust
                              93 PGT red klde/mtx klg4 intake,wild orchid interior
                              97&94&93 PGT gone
                              DALE

Comment

Working...
                              X