No announcement yet.

FE3 RX-8 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should have done this a long time ago, but I did actual fitment test today. So the combo is Rx8 5 speed trans(should be same as FD) > B2600 housing and flywheel > Kia FE3 engine.

Kia trans housing plate is smaller than B2600, so I will have to source one for B2600 to properly align the starter. Also the starter runs into knock sensor mounting bolt.

Last edited by artsvetkov; September 10, 2016, 10:07 PM.
    93 PGT Kitted and all -sold,
    Current 93 PGT-ZE-T So far: 12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.
    1980 Corvette Vortec 350 and side pipes

OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

New Year, new updates. I have been really busy at work last few months and I was putting off accessories brackets for a long time. I needed to mount Alternator and A/C compressor. Here are few pictures of Alt brackets.

I used 1/4" 5052 aluminum plate. I first made a bracket to figure out exact spacing from the block. Total backspace was 1/2"(1/4 plate + 1/8" washers plate-block and 1/8" washer plate to Alt).

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...psf1wkjpce.jpg

Extended upper Kia tension bracket.

Spaced it out 1" from the block.

Current 93 PGT-ZE-T So far: 12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.

Comment

good work

been so long since you updated

I thought this thread was like the rest

Comment

Should be done with accessory drive system.

1/4" 5052 aluminum plate

Added extra support to prevent bending of the plate under tension

It also serves as a location for the Idler pulley

Comment

will that be enough contact with the crank pulley to turn the accessories?
            Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
            Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
            Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
            The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

I guess I will find out, if I experience a serious belt slip issue in a future then I will add another tension pulley.

Comment

Built a coolant swirl pot today to help de-air coolant.

Comment

Sooo.. again, what does that coolant swirl pot ?
                  Great looking project.

Comment

Originally posted by supercharged3.0 View Post
                    Sooo.. again, what does that coolant swirl pot ?
                    Great looking project.

A swirl pot removes air from the coolant, the intake tube being offset from the pot centreline to induce swirl, the air created by engines. Convenient to top off and bleed air from system.

It is standard race car practice to use a swirl pot in the cooling system. If hot spots in the engine cause localised boiling of the water, small pockets of air will form. Air in the water will reduce the heat transference properties of the cooling system. If correctly positioned & designed, the swirl pot will spin the water around inside it, making any water pockets form in the middle of the water. Percolation will then make this air rise inside the swirl pot, and exit out of the small bleed tube in the top, back to the header tank.

Comment

^^^ Exactly what he said.

Comment

Got majority of coolant hoses figured out today, only ones left are lower rad hose and vent hose from swirl pot.

Comment

Jiujitsu technology....

Awesome progress dude!

Comment

Originally posted by P1P View Post
                            A swirl pot removes air from the coolant, the intake tube being offset from the pot centreline to induce swirl, the air created by engines. Convenient to top off and bleed air from system.

It is standard race car practice to use a swirl pot in the cooling system. If hot spots in the engine cause localised boiling of the water, small pockets of air will form. Air in the water will reduce the heat transference properties of the cooling system. If correctly positioned & designed, the swirl pot will spin the water around inside it, making any water pockets form in the middle of the water. Percolation will then make this air rise inside the swirl pot, and exit out of the small bleed tube in the top, back to the header tank.

Now I got it. I did not even know something like that is available. It does make sense.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

What are you going to use to control and tune fuel/spark ?
                            Megasquirt or..?

Comment

MS3X with all bells and whistles.

Comment

Got the fuel rail capped on both ends(center feed returnless). Factory Mazda AC lines are fitting, not pretty but that will do for initial build.

I wanted to keep the runners looking clean, but having AC wins over.

Comment

Working...
                                X