TECH: Making custom isolation mounts with Sugru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TECH: Making custom isolation mounts with Sugru

I did this on one of my non-probes but it is universal.

I had some mounts that needed to be redone. I had been using small amounts of Sugru coupled with silicone tubing in the past, however I wanted to make an entire rubber bushing out of Sugru to simplify the design.

For those who don't know about Sugru, a quick search will turn up TONS of uses but not many in the automotive world. Sugru is an air curing silicone rubber that starts out as a moldable glue. I am a new user to the product so take my instructional with a grain of salt and do your own research if need be.

Below is the clamp, some tubing that matches the sizes I need for the holes, and a packet of Sugru. I used 2 packets for this mount.

The Sugru opened up and ready for use. Nothing to add or mix.

Sugru was wrapped around the tubing, then pushed into the mount. Remaining Sugru pushed in to complete. Now we wait at least 24 hours - this can extend based on how thick the moldable piece. You can remove the tubing and do some trimming after a few hours though.

How it looks after curing, tubing removed, before cleanup. I used a razor blade to cleanup the outsides after this pic was taken.

The mount removed. Since Sugru is a 'glue' it holds firm in the mount but it needs to be removed. I used dental floss to cut/carve the silicone away from the aluminum. I also made some slits along the holes so that it can be fed around the tube for installation.

The bushing in place, trimmed up and ready to go.

And now with the aluminum bracket

All finished, should work well for a long time to come.

Here is what my PCV line looks like with Sugru mounts

Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin out over the line
    PRD - The original Ford Probe Aftermarket, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD RUN
    1999-2013 : 14 Years of supporting the Probe community
    1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo | 2000 Jaguar XJ8 | 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer | 1930 Model A Hotrod | 2005 VW Touareg V8

very cool
    Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
    Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
    Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
    The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

Nice engine bay. Will the Sugru resist well to heat, petrol and grease?

Comment

These work best on cars like the Subru.
        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
        90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Working...
        X