Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Collect Old School Ghettoblasters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Collect Old School Ghettoblasters?

If you grew up in the 80's you will remember these old school and highly collectible boxes

First the JVC RC-M90JW. Pictured on LL COOL J's Radio Album.

How about the highly sought after Conion C-100F. This is the limited Gold Version. The most iconic box. Sold for around $450 in the early 80's. That's around $1,200 in todays currency. Expensive enough that they actually installed a Burglar Alarm with a proximity sensor. This model was also used as a movie prop in many TV sitcoms. Seen in the background as a prop in Two & A Half Men and was in the 80's movie Breakin'. I was asked by wikiboombox to give permission to add my box to their museum photos. I happily accepted. Listed online under the Limited Gold Section on wikiboombox here:

http://www.wikiboombox.com/tiki-inde...=Conion+C-100F

Outside Photo

A few stacked boxes

Got quite a few more but just listing the most popular ones. Yes I know I have an issue here. Might be considered weird for those who it isn't their cup of tea. The value of these things are way up and selling for 4 digit figures to collectors on eBay.

Anyone still have their Old School Blasters and a few cassettes lying around? Add your pictures if so. Heck if its a large collectible I might be interested..lol

Take care all
    Last edited by Ryan96se; February 26, 2017, 07:27 PM.
    1993 PGT 342K Miles - Sold
    1996 PSE 330K Miles
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701317615
    Proud Owner of a Senior Probe Here on PT!!!

What is a Ghettoblaster?

they look like portable radios to me

Comment

Originally posted by P1P View Post
      What is a Ghettoblaster?

they look like portable radios to me
      Large Portable (40lb) stereos of the 80's were Loud, flashy and heavy. They were loved by the urban community because of their sheer size, power and bass.

The term "Ghetto-blaster" was adopted by the urban communities because the radios were often seen on street corners "blasting" their music in what they referred to as the "ghetto" neighborhoods they lived in. They were also referred to as Boom-boxes because of the "booming" sound that annoyed the older generation at the time. These terms are used widely even today to represent any Portable Radio which was huge and loud for the time.
      1996 PSE 330K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan96se View Post
        Large Portable (40lb) stereos of the 80's were Loud, flashy and heavy. They were loved by the urban community because of their sheer size, power and bass.

The term "Ghetto-blaster" was adopted by the urban communities because the radios were often seen on street corners "blasting" their music in what they referred to as the "ghetto" neighborhoods they lived in. They were also referred to as Boom-boxes because of the "booming" sound that annoyed the older generation at the time. These terms are used widely even today to represent any Portable Radio which was huge and loud for the time.
        I once had one of those huge ghetto-blasters (JVC) and I believe if I remember correctly -mine also had the LEDs for level meters. I can't remember the model -but I do remember when I used to go to the local Radio Shack that carried them and drooling until I finally dished out the $$$ for a "nearly top of the line" JVC model. It was the cool thing to have back then -and I have almost been tempted to buy one once again -to live out my glory days. I remember the sound from them. It was better than you can get from many car stereos these days.

Awesome collection! Too bad you have found yourself in a place -needing to part with them.
        Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 26, 2017, 08:18 PM.
        Success is a measure of determination!
        Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
        $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
        Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
        Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
          I once had one of those huge ghetto-blasters (JVC) and I believe if I remember correctly -mine also had the LEDs for level meters. I can't remember the model -but I do remember when I used to go to the local Radio Shack that carried them and drooling until I finally dished out the $$$ for a "nearly top of the line" JVC model. It was the cool thing to have back then -and I have almost been tempted to buy one once again -to live out my glory days. I remember the sound from them. It was better than you can get from many car stereos these days.

Awesome collection! Too bad you have found yourself in a place -needing to part with them.
          Much appreciated KLZE Porsche. Nice to know there is someone around during what I would call the Best Generation Ever. Technology was making leaps and bounds, computers started into homes. A great time.

At this time none of these are for sale. Just thought I would post them in the non-Probe related pic and photo section to see if anyone still has any tucked away in their closet. Be interesting to see how many have survived the years :-)

I even have a Tube radio (before my time) that I enjoy listening to. And your right. These older top of the line models had quality that is just not seen today. I shake my head at the stuff these younger kids are listening to. Some of this garbage they sell can't produce lower frequencies and the newer songs they play on the radio actually have distortion added to the bass notes just so they can be heard through the tiny crappy pill Bluetooth speakers they're listening too. Some headphones aren't bad though.

There are good quality systems available today but hardly anyone knows what a good sound is anymore. Compressed audio formats such as MP3's really take away from the true quality of music.
          1996 PSE 330K Miles

Comment

There are good quality systems available today but hardly anyone knows what a good sound is anymore. Compressed audio formats such as MP3's really take away from the true quality of music.
            Totally agreed! I used to buy the good cassette tapes -some sort of metal TDK if memory serves me correctly. I think they called them chrome or something like that. But they were extremely good quality. I used to cut my own mixes. Those were the days!

I started a long time ago with a Teac real-to-real that my dad let me play with. And that started my addiction! One of my friends had a Nakamichi deck that would flip sides all on it's own. The cassette door would extend out and then spin and then go back in. I thought it was the coolest deck ever.
            Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 26, 2017, 08:50 PM.
            Restoration of a legend

Comment

I know what a ghetto-blaster is I was being funny because you called it a ghetto-blaster

I grew up in that era of break dancing and bebopping and pop locking

In the streets we never called them Ghettoblasters the where called Boom Boxes

Ghetto-Blaster was a suburb or uptown term that people that wasn't from the streets or from that culture to describe a certain area or certain people

but you clearly have a Ghetto-blaster obsession maybe we should called a tv show for you and put you on Boom Box hoarders lol
              Last edited by P1P; February 27, 2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by P1P View Post
                In the streets we never called them Ghettoblasters the where called Boom Boxes
                We called them boom boxes as well. Ghetto Blasters was the slang term -that people who didn't like them -called them as well as issuing a few slurs for those who had them. I didn't care though -because that EW&F (and a few others) sounded so good playing on it.

I forgot that I also had a Sanyo at one time! Does Sanyo even do audio anymore?

This one on eBay is very similar to the Sanyo that I had. Mine also had the built in mics like this one does:
                Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 27, 2017, 11:22 AM.
                Restoration of a legend

Comment

Go for it KLZE Porsche. It started that way for me. I wanted the box I had when I was a kid. Snagged it then started wanting the top collector models. And well....I got carried away..haha

They make new throwbacks from the 80 style boxes. I ended up getting the Bumpboxx for Christmas. This thing is HUGE. Runs on a car battery basically. 12 hours of non stop thumping. 110 RMS watts, 2 10" woofers and highs are controlled by the horns at the top. At the present time it's the loudest box available. Weighs 40lbs. This has USB SD and Bluetooth capabilities. Also comes with a wireless mic. Great for Karaoke. My wife calls it the Drunk Box...lol. It's a party starter for sure. Rattles the house. Also has guitar input and extra mic inputs with echo...etc.

A smaller great beach box is the DJ Tech. Also uses a 12V Sealed Lead Acid Battery. I upgraded it to a 5ah battery. It will run for 12 hours easy. Built in Radio and will record off of Radio and Line in onto SD or USB.

This is all I have except one tube radio. My wife put an end to my collecting after I acquired my JVC RC-M90JW. I have most all the heavy hitters that are valuable so I stopped collecting a year ago. I do have a lot though. You only live once. Might as well spend some money doing the things you like. Can't take it with you when you go
                  1996 PSE 330K Miles

Comment

Working...
                  X