X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atx To Mtx Swap

Hello;
    I am considering this swap and will it work also in a 1993 Mazda 626 ES ATX Car?
    I loaned it to a now former friend who trashed it during the three weeks he had it while I repaired the crushed gas tank in this van. He blew a trans line and the tow company used a forklift to move the van at their yard minimum twice damaging it.
    The car now when put in gear indicates slipping and there is a pulsing or stuttering while in gear at a stop sitting there while idling; like a bad miss.
    Hold light is also blinking and speedometer has stopped working.
    I read your post about the manual swap since I am a stick guy and most of my cars are that way. Since the old lady hates stick shift and won't drive a car with one, Hmmmm.
    I noticed the part about jumping the 6 and 9 connection to fake the computer to believe the car wasn't in gear? I am thinking about if swap is done wiring that into my anti theft alarm; or a poor man's one with a hidden switch. off car won't start; on it will start.
    Aloha.
    Last edited by menahunie; July 7, 2008, 12:35 AM. Reason: miss spelled title

Comment

If the 626 has the 2.0 4 banger or the 2.5 KL series then the swap will work.
      my email address is NOT working!

Comment

has anyone done this without a parts car? just like gettin paarts seperatly?
        1996 Pgt - Clear Corners, Fogs, CAI, Custom Cat-Back Exhaust, High-Flow Cat, Security System, NGK Plugs, painted calipers
        Plans: KLZE engine and 5spd trans

Comment

I did the tranny swap twice, once with just parts and the second time using a donor car.

On the first tranny swap I did I used parts from a wrecker. I printed off the shopping list from here and they delivered it all the next day palletized to my house for $850.
          The second time I did a tranny swap I used a donor car that I had bought for $300. It was the same year as the car I was swapping to and in really nice shape but had been hit behind the right rear tire causing enough damage for the vehicle to be written off. I got the parts I needed for the swap from it and parted out the rest of the car by donation to my fellow BCPOC members. I broke even on that deal so the second swap cost me nothing.

So in retrospect, if you have the time, space and inclination to do so, the best way would seem to be buying a donor car cheap and selling off what you don't need. You'd also be quite surprised how many valuable parts you'll get off that donor the could save you even more money down the road.

-Jens

Comment

I dont have a donor. i just asked a guy in another city who wrecks Fords and he happened to have a few Manual Probes so I just gave him the list, paid, and he shipped every thing to me. I havent done sh-t all yet, only ripped some stuff outa the engine. been sitting in my brothers garage for a year now, damn it! Lazy...far too lazy.

Comment

why is it a 2 hole

so now what
              Last edited by shilohvtec; February 8, 2009, 06:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

would it be safe to say that i would have everything i needed if i had a wrecked 94pgt ????

Comment

Ok after two days myself and a friend have completed this swap. I sourced all my parts from a donor 626 at the wreckers. shifter is different but it works.

I have wired my neutral switch and reverse switch into the orange connector, I don't know about you guys but i like the fact the car has to be in neatral to start. (makes it easier to wire in that remote start kit later)

The only thing i'm triny to find info on is i now have a flashing O/D light on the dash. what do i need to get rid of this ?

Comment

Originally posted by ausloki View Post
                    Ok after two days myself and a friend have completed this swap. I sourced all my parts from a donor 626 at the wreckers. shifter is different but it works.

I have wired my neutral switch and reverse switch into the orange connector, I don't know about you guys but i like the fact the car has to be in neatral to start. (makes it easier to wire in that remote start kit later)

The only thing i'm triny to find info on is i now have a flashing O/D light on the dash. what do i need to get rid of this ?
                    Take off the bezel around the instrument cluster, pull out the instrument cluster as far as you can (disconnecting the wires helps), and find the bulb for the O/D light. Mine was blue so I yanked that sucker out.

Or if you have a V6 just take out the TCM.
                    '93 SE I4 MTX: Gone (Too many memories in that car)
                    '94 SE I4 ATX ---> MTX: Soon to be vrooom - psshh!

Comment

• TCM ??? explain please. i don't like pulling out the lights without knowing what the fault code is first. in this case i know i don't have an O/D any more so i'm assuming there is a secondary ecu somewhere ?

Are ok so the pcm is actually what your refferring to as the TCM, makes sense now.
                      Last edited by ausloki; March 8, 2009, 05:36 AM. Reason: A bout of wisdom

Comment

• Another strange occurance.
                        I have noticed a drain on the battery since the swap, not sure if it was there before but have traced it back to the solenoid on the starter motor.

I would have assumed that the ground actuator to the solenoid is only active when the key is in the start position, yet i noticed current flow when the key is still in the run position. not enough to energise the coil mind you but enough. The solenoid also heats up substantially which makes me think maybe i have a dud solenoid on my starter or some other electrical problem.

Does any one have some electrical/circuit diagrams of the engine harness for the auto and manual i can use for a comparison ?

Or any other ideas?

Comment

• Ok. I am in the mits of taking the mtx parts from a 94 gt donor car and i dont quite understand the orange harness. Where is it located on the car? and where is the reverse light switch on the tranny? and do i have to take the harness from the clutch safety switch from the donor car? It doesn't make sense becuase i dont know where the orange harness is.

Thanks for the resoponse in advanced!
                          The daily driver: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389595...t-hatchback-2d

Comment

• on the new garbox you will have fitted, a neatral safety switch, a reverse switch. a speed sensor circuit. on your old ATX setup you have a cable with orange surround that plugs into the gear selector switch. obviously without the ATX being there you will need to parse the signals from the other sensors into this wiring loom. well except the speed sensor it has its own connector.

Comment

• Ok guys I have seen these questions asked in this thread yet still not answered. I have a 93 mx6 ls. If I do this swap will my stock PCM (or ECU or whatever it's proper term is) work. Or will I need the one from the car the transmission comes from or the same year as mine just manual one. I understand what harness you are talking about but by jumping those two pins what do you mean? I know 6 and 9 on that harness. Do I run one wire into each. Or two separate wires from each going somewhere else. Thanks very much this is an amazing thread and will be so hopeful as I am preparing to do this swap now.

P.S. Any OPINIONS or FACTUAL info on post swap performance? Any better times? Feel like a better car. Any opinions or facts or welcome I'd just like to know even though I hope to find out myself, it's still nice to have something to work forward to and day dream about lol
                              Last edited by PW_93mx6ls; May 3, 2009, 12:05 AM.
                              93 MX6 LS White with blue/white interior,
                              ATX with iat mod (Tranny now dead) and ram air
                              Being Parted out.So long
                              Myspace http://www.myspace.com/mr_tigolbitties

Comment

• axles

are the drive axles from the auto the same as the mtx or do i need to get new ones when i do the swap?
                                97 PGT MTX

Comment

Working...
                                X