CD4E rough 3-2 downshift + fluid level q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD4E rough 3-2 downshift + fluid level q

Hey I recently had my deathbox rebuilt (again) and this time they installed the sk kit. Now, they gave me the paper that comes with it, that tells you what all it does. In the kit, it explains that you should fill your trans up to the top mark and it will come DOWN as it warms. My trans doesn't do this and as far as I know it never has (it goes up w/ inc temp). I was wondering if yours does this. They told me not to buy into everything the kit says.

I'm having a problem with the fact that when I get the trans hot, it bucks on the 3-2 on hard deceleration. It seems to get better the more fluid I take out, but I'm getting pretty low to where it's on the bottom line when cold and I don't think that's right. And it's still doing it. The guy that did the rebuild can't seem to help me, but he did give me a hell of a deal. It also likes to pop out of od on the highway every once in a while.
    95 626 2.0 CD4E (the pos atx)
    A few bolt-ons
    165,000 miles+

I'm not trying to judge anyone but how can you tell that it is poping out of O/D. Does the car feel like it is fine and then the rpms jump? About the shift kit or whatever they put in. It only does that hard jolt on deaccelaration? That sounds odd to me but then again, why the CD4E is in the Ford/Mazda cars is beyond me. The only thing that I can say then would be to drive it to Wichita on Sept 26-28 for the meet and let me take a look at it. I rebuilt the CD4E with my dad and I have some info about it in my sig if you want to check it out but besides that I really can't tell until I drive it. Sorry if I didn't help at all.
    -john
    CD4E Rebuild Page

Xbox 360 Gamertag: soccerjohn21

Comment

I'm not trying to judge anyone but how can you tell that it is poping out of O/D.
      Okay, you look at the tach. In lockup I'm doing 60mph at about 2500. When it pops out I'm doing 60 at about 3000, and if I let off the gas it starts to engine brake (slow down). It'll do that until I get it back below 40 or so, and then go up again. It does this when cold or hot - But it's a really random thing.

Does the car feel like it is fine and then the rpms jump?
      Sometimes it does that when going up a slight hill at about 40.. But what I'm refering to is mainly on the highway. I rev it up on the onramp and then it never comes all the way back down. You can tell it's not locked up - 60mph at 3000 rpm when I can usually get about 75mph out of that engine speed.

It only does that hard jolt on deaccelaration
      Yes. Decceleration - i.e.: negative acceleration. Seemingly only when at a varying rate.

The main thing I wanted to know was does your fluid level go down with increasing temp, or does it go up(like mine)? The sk kit says it should go down (which defies all logic and previous experience with my particular trans). Bucking on the 3-2 is something that this trans seems to do when it has too much fluid. I know that from previous experience. But this time I can't fix it by taking fluid out, or so it would seem.

So tell me, does your fluid level go up or down when you get it hot?

Thanks john.

P.S. - Yes the shift kit is the SK CD4E Jr kit that is the same one you have, if I read your writeup correctly. (Not really a "shift kit", but fixes run away line pressure, 2-4 servo adjustment, etc.)
      A few bolt-ons
      165,000 miles+

Comment

Well when I did my tranny rebuild I had to fill the fluid up first. I think that I put in 6qts first then turn the car on and let it wram up and then continued to fill the tranny until the full mark and that was at hot. So I would say yes the fluid will go down cuz you need to cirulate the fluid into the tranny so the fluid will go down. Its sounds like there is something wrong with the 2-3 clutch assembly but not sure. Also it sounds like maybe the torque convertor is or might be bad. I would have that checked. That should help the poping out of O/D. Can't really say what exactly the 3-2 thing is. Just sounds weird since you had the tranny rebuild and it is still acting up. You might that the guy look at it again or see if its throwing any codes and then go from there. Thats the best that I can do. Sorry.
        -john
        CD4E Rebuild Page

Xbox 360 Gamertag: soccerjohn21

Comment

Look man, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could go check your fluid one day before you go anywhere, and then drive it about 20 miles and then tell me if it reads higher or lower. That's all I really want to know. I know the trans will keep taking fluid when you fill it up, but mine has already been filled. I'm trying to determine whether my side pan flap is broken and whether or not i should worry about it.
          A few bolt-ons
          165,000 miles+

Comment

Working...
          X