Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ATX fluid cooler... Tube & Fin or Plate-Type? Copper or Aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which ATX fluid cooler... Tube & Fin or Plate-Type? Copper or Aluminum?

I know little about transmission fluid coolers.

I've got a core size and inlet/outlet size in mind, but I don't know whether I should get Copper or Aluminum. They're similarly priced. Will one material keep my ATX fluid cooler than the other?

There seem to be only 2 types of fluid coolers. The tube & fin type and plate type. Again, will one keep my fluid cooler? The plate type seems extremely expensive (some @ 10X as much). If the plate type is better, is it so superior that it could be worth all the added cost?
    91 Probe GL Turbo
    -IHI Turbo, Intercooler, GReddy Profec-B Boost controller, Holley FMU, Walbro 255 lph, Thermal Insulators, 180 Thermostat, colder plugs, Custom 2.5" Downpipe to 2.5" PaceSetter Exhaust, Flex-a-lite dual electric fans, Boost, A/F, & Fuel Pressure gauges, 215/40/18 Falken Tires, Xenon bumpers & side skirts, Corksport SS lines, Tokico Blue struts, Energy links & bushings, MX6 RSTB
    93 Probe GT
    90 Toyota 4X4
    98 Catera

Doesn't matter, only that you have one in. I'm using a LPD, but the Hayden 404s do just fine. With your mods I'd put in the biggest one that fits. Just get it in. Put in a Magnefine filter while you're at it and change it every year or so.

Draining out a quart or two of fluid and replacing it with new at every oil change will protect you from every problem but abuse and electronics. I use a vacuum pump.
    FWIW, YMMV, EIEIO
    MM7 and MM8 - Showroom Class: Best in Show
    '73 Jeep Commando 4X4X4.2 - The last Commando built? Nobody's told my I'm wrong.

C.S.

Comment

The hayden 404 is great! Go to napa and you can get their store brand (made by hayden with hayden part# on box) for 2/3 the price. I've got one on my PGT and it hasn't had any problems. Once you put one on, touch the tranny cooler after a few miles of driving and you'll see how much heat was trapped in the fluid because of the little stock cooler. I put one on every ATX vehicle that I own and have never had problems.

Change the filter while you're under the car and use some good fluid (full synthetic) and flush the whole thing NAPA (affordable) or Mobil1 (ouch!).

Shane
      Last edited by 93GTS; November 20, 2007, 03:27 PM.
      "Soon, it occurred to me that there were two races going on...
      one for those who'd brought the right tools and one for those who were tools."

Comment

Thank you for the responses.
        I've been looking at a lot of different trans fluid coolers, and the only ones I'm having trouble finding information about happen to be the Haydens.
        Does the Hayden 404 have a mounting bracket, or does it come as just the core?
        What are the inlet/outlet sizes?
        Is it copper or aluminum?
        91 Probe GL Turbo
        -IHI Turbo, Intercooler, GReddy Profec-B Boost controller, Holley FMU, Walbro 255 lph, Thermal Insulators, 180 Thermostat, colder plugs, Custom 2.5" Downpipe to 2.5" PaceSetter Exhaust, Flex-a-lite dual electric fans, Boost, A/F, & Fuel Pressure gauges, 215/40/18 Falken Tires, Xenon bumpers & side skirts, Corksport SS lines, Tokico Blue struts, Energy links & bushings, MX6 RSTB
        93 Probe GT
        90 Toyota 4X4
        98 Catera

Comment

Most coolers will come as a kit with mounting hardware and a short bit of hose. Like I said in a previous post, I think there are only a few factories making these things and then they're marketed under various brands. If you can find the specs on one, it'll probably be the same for the others. They're all pretty darn similar.

I think most are probably aluminum - at least they look to be. From what I recall, copper absorbs heat better but likes to retain it. Aluminum doesn't absorb heat as well but sheds it faster. That's why most computer heat sinks are either all aluminum or have a small bit off copper next to the cpu that sucks the heat from the cpu and then transfers the heat to the aluminum to then be shed off. If you ever examine copper only heat sinks, they usually have bit nosy fans to compensate.

Out of curiosity, what stacked plate did you see that were 10X as much? Was it one with a mounted thermostat and fan? Most coolers, regardless of type, are in the $40-50 range.

I think that which cools better is kind of a moot point because placement is far more important. A big cooler in an area with poor air flow won't work as well as a smaller one in a better spot.

Personally, I have a stacked plate 'cause it seemed sturdier, has a shorter fluid flow distance, has a bypass so that fluid is less apt to flow through the whole thing until it warms up, and is advertised as being more efficient. I don't know if the "thermostat" or the increased efficiency are really true or just marketing bull but the price was within $5 of the tube and fin type so I splurged. One thing I do know is that it stands up to bugs and crap well 'cause it doesn't have delicate fins that can bend. That alone was worth it.

Frankly, I doubt any of this really matters but I understand the joy of obsessing over details. Just get a cooler - any cooler, put it in a spot with good air flow, route it in series after the stock cooler, put in high quality (preferably synthetic) fluid, and rest easy.
          Last edited by blue94; November 23, 2007, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X