'94 PGT ATX -no forward or reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '94 PGT ATX -no forward or reverse

Requesting anyone's professional opinion of what went wrong with my ATX and what I need to do.

Installed a fully functional ATX from a '94 PGT into a '93 PGT. Retained the TC from the '93 and bolted on the '94 ATX with new input and output shaft seals, cleaned out pan/fluid and replaced filter. The original and the replacement F9UBE trannys were identical......at least externally and bolt pattern.

Got 2.5L V-6 engine running well...timing belt, water pump, pulleys, tensioner, hoses, belts, motor mounts, etc. Flushed out tranny with 10 quarts. Probe ran fine for a week, then encountered disengagement of ball joint from steering knuckle (draw bolt was too small - 3/8" vs 10mm - and pin pulled by the interference bolt. The knuckle dislocation resulted in the complete destruction of the drivers side axle inner CV joint. Replaced drive axle, and replaced ATX fluid and filter....again. Inside of filter was filled with shavings......not too bad. Refilled ATX and Probe back running fine once again. Encountered another mishap......the brand new axle pulled out of tranny (C-clip did not snap into groove securely). Replaced C-clip, reassembled and Probe ran fine for about 20 miles, then began feeling slipping (and delayed gear engagement). Drove back into shop, decided it needed yet another fluid replace and filter(3rd new filter)......completed. Following refilling tried to put tranny in gear......no forward or no reverse. Tranny reacts like its in Park or Neutral......no power transfer to the drive shafts.

Performed TC pump test - recorded fluid level with Probe off and cold, then started Probe and noticed level dropped considerably....TC seems to be pumping???
    Performed Park gear test - Put tranny in Park and gently rocked Probe back and forth and noticed how engine was rocking fore and aft with the pressure transferred through the tranny.
    hmmmmmmmm. What the heck is happening to this tranny????? Appreciate your valued responses. I discussed this with my tranny guy and he is as baffled as I am. Please lend a hand........Probe overhauls putting hole in wallet. Many thanks,
    Gogogo

I would check for some sort of leak. Sounds like there is not enough line pressure to engage the clutch packs.
    Sandon Lettieri
    1993 Probe GT - KLZE & Stuff - 172whp / 161wtq - 146k
    2013 Focus ST - Stock & Stuff - 251whp / 290wtq - 142k

Comment

'94 PGT ATX -no forward or reverse

OK - Heres an update:

Thank you pgt4speed for your response. This is apparently a real doosey of a problem.

I removed the '93 F9UE tranny this weekend, 2/2/08, and noticed that neither of the three input shafts (splined) are capable to be rotated by hand in either direction.

Does this help???

Comment

Update

Status Update:

Transmission shop disassembled pump and found some wear but nothing that would prohibit at least some amount of rotation, when in any gear. Shop believes the problem lies in either the gear pack(s) or the pressure control valve "line pressure control". In either event, the unit would require complete dismantle/rebuild which is out of my budget. minimum ($1200). Thanks for reading into this forum topic. Concluding statement: if tranny does not drive forward or reverse (no movement to the wheels) consider it requiring a full rebuild. The drive shafts do not rotate by hand in either direction.
        Sincerely,
        gogogo

Comment

Working...
        X