external filter for atx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external filter for atx?

I can't find it in a search,& I need to know what to use as an external filter for the Hayden 402 ATX tranny fluid cooler I just bought.? I even wondered if a fuel filter of some kind would work? A removable filter would undoubtedly cost more,but be easier to change the filter itself. Could some of you that've done this give some advice/part #'s/places to buy?...

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Normally, the stock filter in the transmission is all that is used since you're just adding cooling and a slightly expanded fluid capacity.....

If, however, you want an extra filter in the system, just get the cheapest external oil filter kit you can find and add that into the hose routings. The oil filter will do the filtration and be easy to swap out after 10,000 miles.
    '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
    '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
    '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

I was reading some info on the CD4E tranny,& they say there is no filter in it. Others say it's hidden. I figured it can only help to keep the loose bits from circulating in the wrong places. It'd be nice to find an external kit for a car with a small filter size. I think one of the guys here that did a thread I can't find used one for a neon.?

Comment

I've read that the CD4E just has a screen and it's not serviceable. An external filter is a good idea.

There are two common types of external filters. Either get a Magnefine or get an oil filter type set up like a Permacool. Various places like Summit and Jegs etc have their own house brand set up which are basically rebranded Permacools for less money. Amazon also has stuff. It's just an oil filter mount, filter, hose and hardware. The oil filter type may be a little cheaper over time because you're only changing a common oil filter. However, the Magnefine is easier to install and a little cheaper up front. I've even heard that some OEMs use it and that it may have a Ford part number. Just do a search for it. Both are much better than nothing and not hard to find on-line.
        Last edited by blue94; October 11, 2010, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Thanx,I'll have to look into these...

Comment

I was just looking at autozone.com,& they have a B&M remote tranny filter kit. Part# 80277,for $43.99,special order. Store pick up,or ship to house in 3-5 days. Polished adapter too,I think I'm gunna buy it...!

Comment

Yup, that's the kind of kit I was talking about. I have two points of caution with these kits. 1) you need to scope out a good spot to put it 2) the cost is likely to go up b/c they never come with enough hose and you're also likely to need to make runs to the hardware store to get extra fittings like 45 and 90 bends. But, once it's in, replacing the filter is cheap.

If you like brick and mortar stores, I believe that Napa either carries or can order the Magnefine type. Much much much easier to install but potentially more costly over time depending on how often you change it.

Personally, I have the oil filter types on two of my cars. I'm happy with the installations but don't know if I would do it again b/c the cost of the kits + extra pieces I needed was equal to three Magnefines thus making it almost a wash over the life of the vehicle then add in the extra installation hassle. They take a significant amount more time and planning than the Magnefine. On the other hand, changing out filters now is really easy and I can do it as often as I want for just a few bucks. You don't have to change these things often but the longer you keep the vehicle, the better the odds that the oil filter type will save time and money in the long run and the extra hassle of installing it wont really matter anymore. It's also transferable to your next cars. The oil filer mount and fittings will last forever.

Comment

Well,first off it's best to mount it to the hose/tube coming out of the trans,but before it goes into the radiator fitting. That way,you keep the crud from being able to foul the whole fluid cooling system. And since the splash pan has square flaps in it for reaching certain things,then mount it near one of those. Or just down low on the frame rail behind the back edge of the splash pan. & simple push on fittings for hoses are cheap. Even cambell-hosfield has them,as does autozone. & hose can be had by the foot at the same store. Not that expensive. I'll have to look at the cooler kit I have (hayden 402),& the remote filter kit to see what they don't give. I know what to use,anyway. Shouldn't cost too much...
                Last edited by unionrdr; October 14, 2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Oh the extra do-dads don't cost much. Just pointing out that you'll need a few extra things so your final cost will be a little more. Probably no more than $15 or so, if that.

Comment

Yeah,it looks like the remote filter kit doesn't give you any hose,only 2 clamps,& only 2 push on connectors instead of 4. Shouldn't be too bad,got some parts in my tool chest I haven't even taken out of the packages yet. Got stuff squirreled away...

Comment

Working...
                    X