Guessing game anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guessing game anyone?

Ok, so here's something for everyone to join in.. It doesn't cost anything, you don't have to drive anywhere.. Yet, its fun....

Ok, so tomorrow I am taking all of my scrap aluminum to the recycler to get some extra cash. The going rate for aluminum right now is roughly 40 cents per pound at the local scrap yard.

I am scrapping the following items.... This means that I disassembled the entire engine and set aside all of the aluminum parts to go to the scrap yard...

1 KL engine
    -entire block
    -both heads
    -small misc. parts
    4 V6 5 speed transmissions
    -entire case
    -5th/reverse shift fork
    1 V6 automatic transmission
    1 distributor housing
    spare miscellaneous parts

Ok, so, who wants to guess how much money I walk away with?

I'll say $64
    2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport- Traded

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- Totaled

Are we playing this like jeapordy?
    Ill go high
    $450
    .40 isnt to bad but those trannies have to have at least 75lbs of alum.
    and the engine and heads around 200lbs

Jason
    Thank God Im done w/Honda's got a low mileage '85 mustang GT just like my high school car and my DD is a 87 subaru GL10 turbo w/119k..

Comment

i'll go with about 147 bux give or take tranny's or just the housing?
      paypal and such

my_qd2703@hotmail.com

Comment

$1 Bob! (for all those price is right old timers)
        '59 VW Bus - camper - lots of work - Mango green/Seagull Grey two tone
        '05 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro 6-spd manual Ultrasport w/ mods - Arctic White / Black
        '69 VW Bug - Grey/Black two tone-1641cc
        '94 MX-6 ZE mtx w/ mods - TAZ 6 - sold / BAPOC
        '01.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro w/ mods - sold

Comment

Jason... The transmissions complete weigh in around 75-80 pounds.... The only portion that is aluminum is the casing.... The gears and whatnot inside are all made of steel... Sooo, once I separate out the aluminum, you're looking at 10 pounds per tranny, at the most...

Same thing with the engine block and heads... Once you take out all the steel parts, there isn't a whole lot of weight to em...
          2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

Comment

Originally posted by taz42zero
            $1 Bob! (for all those price is right old timers)
            you took my answer! oh wait...... $2 dollars!
            1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo SS : My Shiro Special site. Limited edition Z31 model.
            Engine: K&N Intake, HKS Exhaust, Poly motor mounts Suspension: SS springs, full poly bushing set and spring seats, BILSTEIN shocks/struts, Cusco front strut brace Brakes: Stainless steel brake lines, Axxis pads
            The last last letter of the alphabet is also the last word in sports cars: Z
            Dyno 5-14-05: 175.17 HP @ 5200rpm & 200.36 Torque @ 3800rpm

Comment

ah crap! i guess i'm out......

Comment

Damn, why is it that the only guy that was even remotely close isn't even a BAPOC member... Not that it matters because there isn't a prize or anything, but yeah, he was closest with $147...

I got $167.04.... Actually quite more than I expected. Total weight was about 275 pounds... They counted it all as clean aluminum (no other metals).... That means they overlooked the steel cylinder liners as well as a lot of steel elsewhere...

Thanks for playing!

Unfortunately, this money goes straight to bills... I hate those months when you wonder what you're going to eat.. Haha..

Comment

Originally posted by jon93PGT
                  Damn, why is it that the only guy that was even remotely close isn't even a BAPOC member... Not that it matters because there isn't a prize or anything, but yeah, he was closest with $147...

I got $167.04.... Actually quite more than I expected. Total weight was about 275 pounds... They counted it all as clean aluminum (no other metals).... That means they overlooked the steel cylinder liners as well as a lot of steel elsewhere...

Thanks for playing!

Unfortunately, this money goes straight to bills... I hate those months when you wonder what you're going to eat.. Haha..
                  Damn thats a nice haul!! i shoulda taken my car apart & sold it for scrap, i woulda gotten a lot more money
                  94 Probe GT- sold
                  06 WRX TR
                  06 Kawasaki ZX-6R
                  89 Mustang lx 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by jon93PGT
                    Im living that month right now as well, Friggin kids are expensive..

Jason
                    Thank God Im done w/Honda's got a low mileage '85 mustang GT just like my high school car and my DD is a 87 subaru GL10 turbo w/119k..

Comment

Originally posted by JSR95621
                      Friggin kids are expensive..

Jason
                      serious shit there brotha!

Comment

Damn Jon, I should have gone to THAT place if they paid you clean aluminum price for all that mixed stuff - I could have used it that one time when I had a 'few' spare parts.
                        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
                        90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Haha yeah, seriously... You have to be sneaky, but the guy said it was all "clean"... The only part he noticed as "mixed" was a water pump... Haha..

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac]
                            Damn Jon, I should have gone to THAT place if they paid you clean aluminum price for all that mixed stuff - I could have used it that one time when I had a 'few' spare parts.
                            Dan, you are to probes what dukes of hazzard was to chargers.... by the time you're done theres not gonna be any left for the rest of us
                            94 Probe GT- sold
                            06 WRX TR
                            06 Kawasaki ZX-6R
                            89 Mustang lx 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by osiris1327
                              Dan, you are to probes what dukes of hazzard was to chargers.... by the time you're done theres not gonna be any left for the rest of us

You don't need to worry about owning a Probe anytime soon... From what I hear, they're tough to drive in a full body cast.... Be careful on the bike...

Comment

Working...
                              X