X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in London

Alright... I've met my match.

I bought a 96 GT.

I had engine problems and parked it last year. I'm not one to give up easy so even though I had never worked on a car before, I started pulling the engine.

I got to the point where I need to pull the drive shafts and a friend suggested it could be a head gasket.

I did a compression test and got 30 psi on every bank. He suggested I put the engine/exhuast etc. back together again and do the head gasket.

Now I am confused and have lost all momentum. He might be right...

Is there anyone in London who might be bored and would like to help a (mid 30's) newbie learn about engines and stuff?

I have tools and can easily get or buy what I need. You don't need to do the work I'm not afraid to get dirty or climb under the car.
    Goggles

I'm in london, and I pretty much know these cars inside out... pm me if you ever have any questions.
    '93 Probe GT - 11.410@127.10mph
    '05 Mustang GT - 13.2@105mph

Comment

Great!

pm'd
      Goggles

Comment

OK here are the compression test results.

260 250 230
        210 230 220

New plugs as well. Less than 100 km on them.

Any thoughts?
        http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...T/IMG_0479.jpg

Last edited by goggles; August 11, 2008, 07:40 PM.
        Goggles

Comment

Is Anybody Out There??? no answers no advice...

FYI

I did the test again.

Numbers dropped off. I did a wet test previously and perhaps I added to much oil.

all cylinders are between 165 and 185.

This should be good?
          Goggles

Comment

Is the engine a klde or a klze? If it's a DE that isnt too bad. It could be rings, did you do it with your throttle tied open? What is going on with the motor anyhow?
            Regards,
            Andre S
            93 Mazda 626 - Heavily modified - Cross Pollinated - Work in Progress
            --------------------------------My Build Page---------------------------------

Comment

It's a DE with 90K on it.

Last year the disty flew apart, ie no spark while the engine was at basically redline. There was no clangity clang. I tried to start it, not knowing what was wrong. This flooded the engine with gas.

Drained the engine, put in new spark plugs, changed the oil and drove it for a few days. Changed the oil again and then it threw up a cel and stalled at idle. It also was smoking.

I got some advice it was piston rings and the compression test then was very low.

I started to take the engine apart (now it has all the wiring off and no oil and basically ready to pull the half shafts) and then had second thoughts.

I did a wet compression test at PGTRacer's advice. The numbers are shown in this thread. I think I put too much oil in which is likely why the readings went so high. I did the test a week later without adding any more oil in the spark plug holes and got between 165 and 185 for all six cylinders.

I'm thinking valve guide. I was going to reassemble the engine and do some more diagnostics.
              Goggles

Comment

Originally posted by goggles View Post
                It's a DE with 90K on it.

Last year the disty flew apart, ie no spark while the engine was at basically redline. There was no clangity clang. I tried to start it, not knowing what was wrong. This flooded the engine with gas.

Drained the engine, put in new spark plugs, changed the oil and drove it for a few days. Changed the oil again and then it threw up a cel and stalled at idle. It also was smoking.

I got some advice it was piston rings and the compression test then was very low.

I started to take the engine apart (now it has all the wiring off and no oil and basically ready to pull the half shafts) and then had second thoughts.

I did a wet compression test at PGTRacer's advice. The numbers are shown in this thread. I think I put too much oil in which is likely why the readings went so high. I did the test a week later without adding any more oil in the spark plug holes and got between 165 and 185 for all six cylinders.

I'm thinking valve guide. I was going to reassemble the engine and do some more diagnostics.
                Hey Kevin, sorry for the delayed reply got busy. the 165-185 is a normal range for DE engine. Looking at the spark plugs the 1 and 6 look like they are running lean, you might have some dirty/clogged injectors
                '93 Probe GT - 11.410@127.10mph
                '05 Mustang GT - 13.2@105mph

Comment

Hey welcome back!

I know how it can go sometimes. I'm in the process of putting it back together.

Kevin
                  Goggles

Comment

Well...

Final things to finish before turning the key...

I can't figure out how to put the vacuum lines back together. I have a diagram I'm going to try again tonight.

Final topping up of coolant and motor oil

Bleeding the brakes.

After that I will start it and see what i've got - other than skinned knuckes.

Kevin

Everything went back together...

No spark. even grounding a plug against the engine block. still no spark.

Status - new battery, new disty, disty both plugs in. Had an alarm... I'm going to ckeck the wiring on that and check for voltage to the disty.

does a 96 pgt need a (Starter) relay???
                    Last edited by goggles; October 28, 2008, 05:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Goggles

Comment

Got it running!

Still spittin smoke though.

Not a piston ring with good compression #'s.

I put some injector cleaner in and still got oily smoke smell.

I will start investigating in a few days.
                      Goggles

Comment

Hey goggles when you took the engine apart did you check the head for valve leaks?
                        94 PGT-ZE--K-Sports--Rota Grids w/ KDW's--Mach 1 lip--Powdercoated valvecovers/fuel rails/intake mani--Headers--CAI--95 Tails--Euro Gauge Cluster--Full Leather--1 Piece Panels

Comment

Didn't get the block apart.

We moved yesterday and I had to get it "towable".

I think your correct, that was my next thought. Valve seal leak...
                          Last edited by goggles; November 4, 2008, 05:45 AM.
                          Goggles

Comment

OK an update...

First I'm going to change the PCV valve.

Then I'll probably swap heads with my 93 GT.
                            Goggles

Comment

Changed the PCV valve. Oil smoke went away. No CEL. Drove fine for 50K's.

It may only have been the valve. I'm going to drive it and monitor it for awhile.
                              Goggles

Comment

Working...
                              X