Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody in SC want a set of FD rims with tires??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eric_93pgt View Post
    i haven't been on this site in one year and one day (almost exactly to the time) and this thread is still going, although no activity in two weeks... i'll blame it on SumR.
    We take the holidays off from posting...

It's tradition.

That we just started.

This year.

Right now.
    Lots of cars... none of which are a Probe...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShadowSE View Post
      We take the holidays off from posting...

It's tradition.

That we just started.

This year.

Right now.

I was actually thinking about both you fools yesterday as I was driving down Harbison. Now I will think about everyone since me and the lady will be heading to Myrtle for the next 2 nights. Either way, have a Happy New Year!

2016 Subaru WRX Premium

04 Subaru Impreza WRX WRB sold to smurphsprobe

97 Probe 2.0L GONE

Comment

• Originally posted by livingsacrifice View Post
        I was actually thinking about both you fools yesterday as I was driving down Harbison. Now I will think about everyone since me and the lady will be heading to Myrtle for the next 2 nights. Either way, have a Happy New Year!

Harbison came up in conversation the other day here as well. I was back in sc a few days ago but only for two days

Happy New Year meatbags

Comment

• Daylin...

I want to do a new stereo in the viper so I need some speaker recommendations...

It uses:

2 6.5s in the doors (1 in each and they are slim)
          1 6 sub in the center (again slim... I'm gonna have to do something custom here or relocate it to the footwell).
          2 3in mids behind your head
          2 tweeters in the dash

I want to change the head unit and run a 5ch amp to power it all (stock amp is under the passenger seat so I want to keep it there. I can fit one behind the passenger seat if I must but it cuts back on floor space and wouldn't be possible if I do a footwell sub since I'd be losing space on both ends). (given the small size of the mids behind my head, I could also go with a 4ch and bridge the rears for the sub and power the mids off the head unit but anyway)...

Right now I am having trouble with deciding what to use. I have put a pair of polks in the doors and they fit but aren't as clear as I need them to be with decent power (the car is loud so the speakers have to handle some wattage and stay clear). I can fit some of the kicker / alpine components and have toyed with the idea of putting in a better but smaller speaker and building an adapter (like for a focal 5.5 which is almost a 5.75)...

Just looking at the door speakers, what would you be looking at?

Comment

Daylin...

I want to do a new stereo in the viper so I need some speaker recommendations...

It uses:

2 6.5s in the doors (1 in each and they are slim)
            1 6 sub in the center (again slim... I'm gonna have to do something custom here or relocate it to the footwell).
            2 3in mids behind your head
            2 tweeters in the dash

I want to change the head unit and run a 5ch amp to power it all (stock amp is under the passenger seat so I want to keep it there. I can fit one behind the passenger seat if I must but it cuts back on floor space and wouldn't be possible if I do a footwell sub since I'd be losing space on both ends). (given the small size of the mids behind my head, I could also go with a 4ch and bridge the rears for the sub and power the mids off the head unit but anyway)...

Right now I am having trouble with deciding what to use. I have put a pair of polks in the doors and they fit but aren't as clear as I need them to be with decent power (the car is loud so the speakers have to handle some wattage and stay clear). I can fit some of the kicker / alpine components and have toyed with the idea of putting in a better but smaller speaker and building an adapter (like for a focal 5.5 which is almost a 5.75)...

Just looking at the door speakers, what would you be looking at?

Nice, dodge sounds like they knew what they were doing with audio when they designed the viper.

For head units I've never really looked past Alpine. My single din HD149BT does all I want it to, bluetooth, ipod, pandora, etc. And they've really improved the models over the past years with the 24BIT DACs now, used to only have 1BIT. I tried out a Pioneer Premier deck one time but I had noise issues with RCA's that I could not get fixed so I returned it after trying practically everything.

To me, honestly I've always preferred 6.5" component sets. As far as brands I'm not sure of the current popular names I've always really preferred the sometimes lesser known brands, minus a few (Morel, Focal, Brax, Image Dynamics, Crystal, Diamond, JL, a/d/s, alpine, zapco). Some of those are no longer active but they still made killer stuff

But with that setup you could go with a 3 way component set (tweeter, 3", 6.5") and use the 6" slim for something that hits deep for a speaker that size - think midbass that hits around 80hz. My favorite of all time is Morel for those but they are costly and take some really clean power to run properly. To be honest with you, I really MISS running Class A/B amps in my car for the ridiculously clean sound you get. I still have a PPI and 2 Pheonix Gold Ti amps in the garage from back in the day but the problem is the amount of space they take up. Everyone today seems to be running more of the slimmer class D amps that's why I opted for the JL Audio XD amps, they run at class D but it's enough for the 6 channel one to run adequate audio in my car (6.5" 2 way set and 12" sub). Then I'm running a set of these components made by a German company called Rainbow, I really like them. They are getting 200w a side and it sounds very nice.

But if I had to do it over again, and I plan to after an alternator upgrade, I would run at least 150w per side up front and 350w in the trunk of class AB power. I miss it.
            Last edited by livingsacrifice; January 7, 2016, 12:48 PM.

2016 Subaru WRX Premium

97 Probe 2.0L GONE

Comment

• Do you think it would be OK to go with a 3way component set in the factory locations so I can do it all as a matched set it would you go with good 2ways and just leave the separate mids behind the seats? I'm worried about there being too much separation with the 3 speaker setup...

Or I do it that way and make sure my new head unit can do what I need it to do in order to setup whatever I do...

Comment

Do you think it would be OK to go with a 3way component set in the factory locations so I can do it all as a matched set it would you go with good 2ways and just leave the separate mids behind the seats? I'm worried about there being too much separation with the 3 speaker setup...

Or I do it that way and make sure my new head unit can do what I need it to do in order to setup whatever I do...
                3 way sets will generally be tuned properly for the crossover points on each device. with a 2 way set you will have to adjust the 3rd speaker to match or act like the 3rd speaker in a 3 way setup. There's also cool things like bi-amping available with some 2 or 3 way sets where you can in essence give some power to the tweeter and some to the woofer instead of it being "shared" between them. Just depends if you can find what your looking for... for instance

http://www.cdtaudio.com/main_series/cl/cl632.php
                http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C565...53.html?tp=106

and these, but focal has always been weird with their 6.75" woofer sizing

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165A...S3.html?tp=106
                Last edited by livingsacrifice; January 11, 2016, 12:26 PM.

2016 Subaru WRX Premium

97 Probe 2.0L GONE

Comment

3 way sets will generally be tuned properly for the crossover points on each device. with a 2 way set you will have to adjust the 3rd speaker to match or act like the 3rd speaker in a 3 way setup. There's also cool things like bi-amping available with some 2 or 3 way sets where you can in essence give some power to the tweeter and some to the woofer instead of it being "shared" between them. Just depends if you can find what your looking for... for instance

http://www.cdtaudio.com/main_series/cl/cl632.php
                  http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C565...53.html?tp=106

and these, but focal has always been weird with their 6.75" woofer sizing

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165A...S3.html?tp=106
                  I was actually looking at that CDT set you linked. Seems like the 3way would be the simplest way to go to get everything I need already playing nicely with each other. The 3in mid also would drop directly into the OEM hole behind the seats (where I really don't have anymore room to work with).

So finding a good 3way set with a 6.5in / 3in / tweeter is basically the best scenario it looks like I can shoot for. Then all I have to do is get an amp to match up with it and put Humpty Dumpty back together!

Comment

I was actually looking at that CDT set you linked. Seems like the 3way would be the simplest way to go to get everything I need already playing nicely with each other. The 3in mid also would drop directly into the OEM hole behind the seats (where I really don't have anymore room to work with).

So finding a good 3way set with a 6.5in / 3in / tweeter is basically the best scenario it looks like I can shoot for. Then all I have to do is get an amp to match up with it and put Humpty Dumpty back together!
                    No sub? I'd at least throw a 10 in there.

I need to start dynamatting my trunk this spring.

2016 Subaru WRX Premium

97 Probe 2.0L GONE

Comment

No sub? I'd at least throw a 10 in there.

I need to start dynamatting my trunk this spring.
                      Yea I have a sub I will have to replace. It's a low end pioneer one. Have to stay with a 6" that is slim or possibly a 8" if I rebuild the box. Anything larger and I have to build a custom box in the footwell of the passenger. I can't put it in the trunk since its separated from the cabin by the gas tank and convertible top. That's gonna be the funnest part of the equation.

I was looking into what people were using now for sound deadening. I'm sure anything I can do on that front will be huge. That, like you said, will have to wait until spring!

Comment

Yea I have a sub I will have to replace. It's a low end pioneer one. Have to stay with a 6" that is slim or possibly a 8" if I rebuild the box. Anything larger and I have to build a custom box in the footwell of the passenger. I can't put it in the trunk since its separated from the cabin by the gas tank and convertible top. That's gonna be the funnest part of the equation.

I was looking into what people were using now for sound deadening. I'm sure anything I can do on that front will be huge. That, like you said, will have to wait until spring!
                        Yeah I want something that doesn't look like an eyesore on the trunk lid because it doesn't have body panels that surround it inside. There's that stuff that sorta looks like black foam that might work, raammat makes it.

2016 Subaru WRX Premium

97 Probe 2.0L GONE

Comment

Yeah I want something that doesn't look like an eyesore on the trunk lid because it doesn't have body panels that surround it inside. There's that stuff that sorta looks like black foam that might work, raammat makes it.
                          Yea I was checking out their site last night. Might have to order some stuff and just start somewhere. I'm looking at a place with a 3 car garage / covered carport so I might actually start to get some stuff done!

Comment

Yea I was checking out their site last night. Might have to order some stuff and just start somewhere. I'm looking at a place with a 3 car garage / covered carport so I might actually start to get some stuff done!
                            Sounds like my dream place.

I'll have to look into that once I figure out where my coolant leak is coming from. I can't tell where. I need to buy some UV dye this weekend.

2016 Subaru WRX Premium

97 Probe 2.0L GONE

Comment

• And speaking of, no one had any dye so I had to order on Amazon... this weekend maybe I'll find it.

2016 Subaru WRX Premium

97 Probe 2.0L GONE

Comment

And speaking of, no one had any dye so I had to order on Amazon... this weekend maybe I'll find it.
                                Only thing I hate chasing more than coolant / oil leaks are vacuum leaks. Blah.

Trying to decide if I want to sell the MS3 and get a better daily driver. Probably going to put it back to stock and see what's up.

They not have internet in Uzbekistan where SumR went?

Comment

Working...
                                X