I Might Need Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Might Need Some Help

Well I had to push my car home yesterday because the engine overheated all of a sudden. I think it might be a bad head gasket but on top of that, I'm afraid that I might have damaged the heads.

I'm not that engine savy so I might need some help if and when I hit a dead end. Going to be a fun time.
    1994 Coral Mist Metallic PGT
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701308460

txt or call me if you have any questions or need anything

Originally posted by Eric351M View Post
    Well I had to push my car home yesterday because the engine overheated all of a sudden. I think it might be a bad head gasket but on top of that, I'm afraid that I might have damaged the heads.

I'm not that engine savy so I might need some help if and when I hit a dead end. Going to be a fun time.
    1995 PGT BLACK: CF hood, stock KLDE, Clutchmasters FX400, MX3 Flywheel, MS1 Extra, KLG4 coilpack with PRD wires, T3T04e turbo, same side intercooler, tial WG, custom fuel rails with nissan 550cc injectors, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Eugo, Autometer gauges, 2.5" custom Borla catback, Tokico blues, Eibach springs, FD rims, J30 projector conversion......

Comment

if it overheated for just a lil bit then I wouldn't worry too much about the head. Pull it off with the mindset that it will be ok. But if you could find out which cylinder it blew out of of would be good to know when it's all torn apart.

do a compression check after running it for a lil bit if possible to get it warm.
      Last edited by mac1; September 5, 2012, 02:55 PM.
      1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
      1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
      2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
      2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
      1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

eric, give my brother a call. he just picked up a compression tester, so he'd be able to check if the head gaskets are an issue.
        ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Are you close to Corona?
          96PGTZE~GREDDY~MAGNAFLOW~ACT
          FIDANZA~WILWOOD~AWR~RR-RACING~HS~OUTLAW
          PRD~MSD-WINDOWS~TEIN-SS~RX-8~ALPINE

Comment

Originally posted by dmark101 View Post
            eric, give my brother a call. he just picked up a compression tester, so he'd be able to check if the head gaskets are an issue.
            I already got one but still haven't had time to do it. I did however find out why it lost all of the coolant and overheated. I found a hose that connects to the oil filter that was gushing out coolant.

I'm still going to do the compression test to see what kind of condition the engine is in.

Originally posted by unknowncitizen View Post
            Are you close to Corona?
            I'm in the high desert.

Originally posted by no13regrets View Post
            txt or call me if you have any questions or need anything
            Yeah, will do thanks.

Comment

I already got one but still haven't had time to do it. I did however find out why it lost all of the coolant and overheated. I found a hose that connects to the oil filter that was gushing out coolant.
              ah, if it's only that hose, then you're lucky. there are two rubber hoses that connect to the oil cooler. good idea to replace them both if you can.
              ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Originally posted by dmark101 View Post
                ah, if it's only that hose, then you're lucky. there are two rubber hoses that connect to the oil cooler. good idea to replace them both if you can.
                Yeah, I'm going to order and replace both of them since I'm there. I just have to remove some things to get to those clamps.

Comment

I finally got the hoses today and put them on. I got the car to operating temperature to check the compression and then something happens.
                  First, when I was taking off the autozone wires, the end cap on one of them came off and can't get it out of the spark plug hole.
                  Then I put the hose and adapters into the spark plug hole, tested one cylinder and when I went to take it out, the adapter got stuck in the spark plug hole and the hose came out. That's what I get for getting a cheap one.
                  I got frustrated so I stopped trying to take them out today and will try tomorrow when I'm relaxed.

Comment

ah, seems you did overheat it enough to mess up the threads in the spark plug hole. And the broken autozone plug wires............that's normal design flaw. I overheated a KL recently bad enough that the same thing happend with the compression tester, took the head off and still could not chizel it out. WHich head is it?
                    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
                      ah, seems you did overheat it enough to mess up the threads in the spark plug hole. And the broken autozone plug wires............that's normal design flaw. I overheated a KL recently bad enough that the same thing happend with the compression tester, took the head off and still could not chizel it out. WHich head is it?
                      It's the front head. The only reading I got from one cylinder was 135, which I think is low right?

Comment

yes thats pretty low compression should be around 160.
                        also the compression gauge part thats stuck in your engine usually have socket thing on top. try removing it with maybe 18mm.
                        and for the spark plug boot stuck, use metal hanger to fish it out. i had to do it more than few times

It's the front head. The only reading I got from one cylinder was 135, which I think is low right?
                        Last edited by no13regrets; September 19, 2012, 04:37 PM.
                        1995 PGT BLACK: CF hood, stock KLDE, Clutchmasters FX400, MX3 Flywheel, MS1 Extra, KLG4 coilpack with PRD wires, T3T04e turbo, same side intercooler, tial WG, custom fuel rails with nissan 550cc injectors, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Eugo, Autometer gauges, 2.5" custom Borla catback, Tokico blues, Eibach springs, FD rims, J30 projector conversion......

Comment

Compression Test Numbers

Okay, I was finally able to take out the adapter that was stuck in the spark plug hole. I got a new compression tester and here are my numbers.
                          The engine was at operating temperature, it has a new battery, disconnected the distributor, fuel injectors and took out all the spark plugs.

Rear Head:
                          1) 110 3) 90 5)110

Front Head:
                          2) 110 4) 120 6) 120

I know these are very low numbers and I don't know if the gauge was reading correctly. But I think those numbers are some what correct because my oil pressure is low.

I guess a rebuild is in my future, but for now I have to drive it as is.

Comment

by you compression numbers, your engine shouldnt even be running IMO

Okay, I was finally able to take out the adapter that was stuck in the spark plug hole. I got a new compression tester and here are my numbers.
                            The engine was at operating temperature, it has a new battery, disconnected the distributor, fuel injectors and took out all the spark plugs.

Rear Head:
                            1) 110 3) 90 5)110

Front Head:
                            2) 110 4) 120 6) 120

I know these are very low numbers and I don't know if the gauge was reading correctly. But I think those numbers are some what correct because my oil pressure is low.

I guess a rebuild is in my future, but for now I have to drive it as is.

Comment

Originally posted by no13regrets View Post
                              by you compression numbers, your engine shouldnt even be running IMO
                              That's what I thought, I might have to do the test again with a different compression tester.

Comment

Working...
                              X