Need help!!! S.o.s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Man View Post
    I think I mentioned that the problem was likely caused when the bolts were tightened down before ensuring that the splines matched up first
    Off topic......Ever done a steering rack on these cars or one like it?
    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
      Off topic......Ever done a steering rack on these cars or one like it?
      I have done a steering rack on a 2001 zx2. The setup is similar in design to the probe setup. It took less than 2 hours to do only because the interior was tan and I did not want to have to clean it again if I got it dirty. I would imagine a GT probe taking longer since the engine bay is more cramped
      it is better to be a smart fella than a fart smella

Comment

it does take longer. chavez [mac1] knows this, as he and i replaced mine a few years ago.
        ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

well I dont remember if we did it on a lift or on the ground, with the engine in or out. There's a guy who needs it done over there.

I remember doing my car like 10 years ago on a lift and I lowered the subframe but not sure if that was nesassary.

Comment

nah, it only needs a couple of jack stands and a jack to remove it. The only tricky part is getting a helper to help in the interior when it is time to put it back on. It makes it easier to connect the steering connection this way

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
              well I dont remember if we did it on a lift or on the ground, with the engine in or out. There's a guy who needs it done over there.

I remember doing my car like 10 years ago on a lift and I lowered the subframe but not sure if that was nesassary.
              we did it on jack stands, with the engine in the car. i remember having to remove the steering components to swap them over to the new rack when we put it back in. this was one of the few jobs we did at trevor's, since i bought the rack from him.

wasn't all that hard, but having two people helped a lot.

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Ok I will let him know.

Comment

has there been an update? did eric get that transaxle sorted out?

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

eric has new stuff going on this week. I don't suspect that he has had much time to spend on this. I am going to text him tomorrow and see what is going on. Plus, I am still trying to figure out a way to separate these two things

Comment

So I see you guys like the situation I created for myself.
                      So far I have not done anything due to a new job and a lack of a car.
                      What I'm going to try to do is take off the half shaft so that we can have more wiggle room. I wasn't able to take off the bolts last time so I'll try again. What I was thinking also was that I might take off the hood so we can put a crow bar from the top rear of the engine bay for more leverage.

At this point, I'm not worried about the parts I damaged. I just want to take the trans off.
                      1994 Coral Mist Metallic PGT
                      http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701308460

Comment

Update

Okay so here is an update of what I have been trying to get the trans off. By looking at the pictures, you could get an idea of how bad I screwed up.

Well the first thing I did was remove the exhaust y pipes so I could take off the intermediate shaft so I could have more wiggle room with the trans.
                        I then came up with an idea of how to take off the trans. I decided to put straps on it and pull it off that way. Unfortunately, I only had one big strap to pull with and two little ones that didn't do much.
                        Here are some pics of what I did and how far I was able to pull the trans from the engine.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...026_202356.jpg
                        http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...026_203336.jpg
                        http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...026_202631.jpg
                        http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...026_203130.jpg

I'm going to buy two more straps and see if I can get this sucker off, wish me luck because I need my car.

Lesson learned, do not force the trans on. Take your time and ask for a hand.

Mr. Man, I don't think we would have gotten any progress with just pry bars and muscle.

Comment

I've never seen any one remove a transmission with straps. What is the problem, why are you having such a hard time.
                          97 pgt, manual swap, jdm lsd trans, cm stage 2 clutch, mx3 flywheel, cai

2001 626

Comment

Ya use a crowbar, break that trans housing.. then you can buy one of mine ;-)
                            I've Been Probed.

Comment

Originally posted by 93pgtravis View Post
                              I've never seen any one remove a transmission with straps. What is the problem, why are you having such a hard time.
                              Because when I was putting it back together I didn't align it right and forced it on without thinking it was an alignment issue. I forced the trans input shaft onto the clutch so now I'm trying to take it apart to do it right.

Originally posted by branscoset View Post
                              Ya use a crowbar, break that trans housing.. then you can buy one of mine ;-)
                              That has crossed my mind but it would be a last resort kind of thing.

Comment

I did the same thing this past summer but mine slid right back off and I realigned the clutch and the trans bolted right back on. good luck though I had help removing mine so It was a little easier for me.
                                97 pgt, manual swap, jdm lsd trans, cm stage 2 clutch, mx3 flywheel, cai

2001 626

Comment

Working...
                                X