Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd GEN V6 thermostat location...and is it a pain in the a$$ to get to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd GEN V6 thermostat location...and is it a pain in the a$$ to get to?

Howdy all,
    I got a '94 PGT in Rio Red (originally), and picked up this car ante-xmas last year(just before Christmas, I LOVE Christmas) for a cheap price...$700 bones..at an auction...then I put $1200 just to get it to smog and dmv stuff...catalytic was gone...O2 sensors (both) GONE, EGR valve...GONE, thermostat was CHEWED UP (It looked like someone used it as a filler plug, there was no spring...it was ODD!). My PGT PASSED Cali EMISSIONS to Jan 2015...YAY!...BUT, I cannot drive it because she OVERHEATS...So, I named her Rita {(was just thinking about the club in Tijuana Rio Rita, and it was ALWAYS hot in there..)(And she's RED)}.
    My question is, "Where is the theromstat on a 94 PGT? AND, what does it take to GET to it? I've heard ("You gotta take off the intake maniford, and remove the distributor so that you can gain access to that $15 part.) So I am calling BULL$HIT).
    The reasoning is that my mechanic who fixed my smog dilemmas does not remember the PGT solution...He is TRULY busy, and he replaced the thermostat.
    I know the thermo is NOT faulty...but Where Is It?

Just below your cap and rotor you will see a fat coolant hose, thermostat is right in the metal part.

Grab a Haynes manual, its has the pix and install. It is a crazy simple install too
    1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
    What have I done to it? Stuff...
    What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
    Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html

Comment

Yea, no reason to touch your intake mani at all. Its right under your intake set up pretty much. Takes less then 20 minutes to replace.
      PaTricK
      ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Found it! It is UNDER the OEM Air Cleaner IN BOARD to the Distributor. Did NOT have to take off the Dist. OR the intake manifold...required 1/2 in' sockets to get the air cleaner lower body away, and 12 mm to remove the bolts from the thermo flange...ALSO, there was ANOTHER 12 mm bolt holding the metal tube connecting the flange to the lower radiator tube., DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH the distributor.
        Hope this helps someone in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X