Which oil pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which oil pump?

Going to be doing the timing belt, water pump, oil pump soon. I ordered a gatorback belt, thermostat, and Cardone water pump (one year warranty) from Autozone.

Now the cheapest oil pump they have is 235.50 and only comes with a 3mo warranty. I was thinking of going with the Toga high volume pump from IPP for 199 but they list two different part numbers. There is OPMA-17L-HV and OPMA-17-HV. If you look under Mazda, the 17L-HV is listed for the 98-00 FS engines and it says (with sensor) the 17-HV is listed for 93-97 and says (no sensor). Anyone use one of these and which one would work on my 95SE?

Also anything else I should consider doing while I got it torn apart. I will be installing the J-cam I purchased two years ago, about time! Has anyone had a water pump failure? I haven't really heard of anyone that has and I am wondering if replacing the good factory pump with a aftermarket one is wise?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
    Somewhere early morning in a hotel room
    there's a guy starting to realize
    that eternal fate
    has turned it's back on him.

It's 2am....

I would say get the 17-HV oil pump, the FS changed to DIS from 98 on so that could have some effect with that sensor that is included.
    Proud Member of the USAF Forged Rods, Wastegate, 2.0L Head...PM me

Comment

it would be wise to r and r the water pump. they do fail above 100k although i must admit on my car the bearing was still ok at 105k. takes a little more time but then you wont have to worry about it failing 6 months down the road.... i bought a brand new water pump (Gates) for like $65..... you do need to have the timing belt off to replace that water pump...... a factory oil pump (redesigned part) is like $200 online at a Ford dealer. .... if you got extra cash it wouldnt hurt to replace the timing belt tensioner and spring.... i didnt when i replaced my timing belt but will next timing belt change.... one last tip: use a little pair of vice grips with a thin piece of rubber wrapped around the grippers to hold the two cam sprockets in alignment for the new belt. when the cam sprockets are aligned, crank at TDC, the valve springs are under tension and want to move the cam sprockets
      Last edited by neilh2o; June 13, 2005, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by civicEATING2.0
        I would say get the 17-HV oil pump, the FS changed to DIS from 98 on so that could have some effect with that sensor that is included.

Are you guessing? Or do you know for sure. I would really like to know if anyone else is actually using this pump. I don't know if this answered my question, but then again I don't have any common sense
        Somewhere early morning in a hotel room
        there's a guy starting to realize
        that eternal fate
        has turned it's back on him.

It's 2am....

Comment

Working...
        X