P1744 Torque Convertor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P1744 Torque Convertor?

First of all this is on a 98 626 LX (2.0), but it's a CD-4E issue so it should be the same. I just had the transmission rebuilt and the differential chain changed (it was rattling). The guy did not replace the torque converter though. I bought the car with a bad chain (basically undriveable) so I don't know if this problem was evident before.

A few days after the rebuild, I am getting a check engine light (P1744) - Torque converter control circuit. Apparently this sends the transmission into fail safe mode because it shifts super jerky after a highway trip greater than 15 minutes. Turning off the car and turning it back on, and it shifts smooth as silk.

The transmission is not overheating and all 4 gears shift fine any other time(no flashing O/D light - and yes, the light works). This only happens on highway trips over 15 minutes.

When driving on the highway, it's 2500rpms at 60 with the TC locked. However, at steady state cruise, sometimes the TC will slip and rpms will go up anywhere from 200-500rpms and it will not re-lock unless I release the gas and reapply.

Does this sound like a torque converter problem or a transmission problem? It shifts smooth as silk before or after this symptom. I would like to say it's the torque converter but I am not positive. I know that the solenoid pack was replaced, but not the converter.

you're talking greek to me
    you might try the a-team forum

Comment

Honestly...I couldn't tell you. But off topic, if you find out that it is in fact the Torque convertor....I have a good working one I'd let go for cheap.
      96 Probe SE ATX-MTX swap, Spec(Fidanza) Flywheel, J-Spec FSZE Intake cam, battery relocated to hatch, 4-2-1 header, Pacesetter pipes, Resonated test pipe and Catco hi-flow cat, Ractive stainless steel muffler, Short ram Intake, A/C removed, No P/S belt, no rear carpet, or panels.

Comment

P1744 torque convertor control circuit: could be a bad torque coverter clutch solenoid (they can overheat and open up if there is a mechanical bind) or a loose wire, broken wire. ....check to see if you get the 12 volts when the TCC is supposed to be engaged. you would have to get access to the PCM and know which wires to check for voltage and you would have to drive the car with the PCM exposed and do a voltage check.... i would attach my meter leads to make a tight connection at the test point (just make sure the leads are not going to come off the test points....i use a locking hook type meter lead attachment). use a tight gripping alligator clip for the circuit ground.....if that checks out ok it sounds like it may very well be the torque convertor clutch. ...in that case unfortuneatly the tranny would have to be pulled and the torque converter replaced. basically the cost would be the price of a (r and r) of the transmission (about $250) plus the cost for a new torque converter which is about $200. not so bad.
        Last edited by neilh2o; June 16, 2005, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I will try and find the pinout for the 98 PCM.

Comment

Working...
          X