Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine and Transmission Compatibility

Hello all,

I'm trying to compile a list of engine/transmission compatibilities and wanted to see what everyone thought... Specifically I want to make sure bell housing bolt patterns and engine mount positions are the same...

I know that 93 2.0L Probe's use the 4EAT transmission, thus I figure that the only cars that 93 2.0L FS engines can go into are 93's (or I suppose 94 and up V6's since it's the same transmission)...

94 and up 2.0L Probe's use the CD4E if I recall correctly, thus I guess that any 94+ 2.0L engine will work in any 94+ CD4E application (ie, a 95 FS engine in say a 97 Probe). Is this a correct assumption?

Did Ford/Mazda do anything weird as far as changing bolt patterns throughout the years?

Thanks!
    1994 Mazda RX7 R2 (Silver) | 2002 Toyota Celica GT (Silver) | 1994 Ford Probe GT (Wild Orchid) #1 | 1994 Ford Probe GT (Wild Orchid) #2

for bolt patterns no, not as far as i no

i no that 93-95 is obd1 and 96 and 97 is obd2
    1996 PGT

Comment

Thank you for the reply. But you brought up another question...

One of the local junkyards has a 95 2.0L engine but they say that it won't work in a 96. However, my understanding is that the bolt patterns are the same and such.

You mentioned the fact that 93-95 are OBD1... and 96-97 are OBD2. The junkyard said it would not work due to the crankshaft position sensor...

My understanding is that all of the Probe's have a crank position sensor and that the differences as far as sensors go was that the 93's had two CAMshaft position sensors and one crank sensor, 94's had one CAMshaft position sensor and a crank sensor. 95's .... I'm not sure. I don't understand why the guy said the crank sensor would be different. I could understand the cam sensor situation, but I could use the disty off of the old engine so the ECU would be happy...

Can someone explain to me what difference it would make to use a 95 block (I'd swap all the accessories and sensors) in a 96? I'm somewhat at a loss as to what the actual differences would be.

Worst case scenerio, I have a MegaSquirt flashed with the MSnS firmware -- I suppose I could use that, but I'd like to understand why there's a problem to begin with (especially if I use the disty and other sensors from the old engine)

Thanks!
      1994 Mazda RX7 R2 (Silver) | 2002 Toyota Celica GT (Silver) | 1994 Ford Probe GT (Wild Orchid) #1 | 1994 Ford Probe GT (Wild Orchid) #2

Comment

becasue how the sensor plug into each other is prolly different...it was the same thing with my MAF from my 94 base to my MAF on my 96 SE the sensro was jsut differnet in general they would connect
        1996 PGT

Comment

95 2.0 liter is OBD1...it will work in a 96 the bolt patterns are the same..just some of the sensors will be different..96 has the CKP sensor installed in the oil pump.. i think 95 has the CKP sensor embedded in a module in the distributor..you could use the 95 disty and wire the CKP sensor wires to the correct terminals on the PCM (computer)..96 has (2) O2 sensors, 95 has only one so you would get a check engine lite ..you could weld a bung to the rear of the catalytic converter ..then install an O2 sensor into the bung and wire in the 2nd O2 sensor to the correct terminals at the PCM ..then you will eliminate the check engine lite..you may have to replace the catalytic converter with a new one if they test emissions in your state
          Last edited by neilh2o; June 20, 2007, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaBoi
            My understanding is that all of the Probe's have a crank position sensor and that the differences as far as sensors go was that the 93's had two CAMshaft position sensors and one crank sensor, 94's had one CAMshaft position sensor and a crank sensor. 95's .... I'm not sure. I don't understand why the guy said the crank sensor would be different. I could understand the cam sensor situation, but I could use the disty off of the old engine so the ECU would be happy...

You're thinking of the GTs ... 2.0Ls just have the one in the disty, and then added one by the crank sensor in '96.

'93-97 blocks & heads are the same.
            '93 IMs are almost the same as '94-95s, but with different castings
            '96-97s are the same but minus a vacuum nipple.

TBs, MAFs, etc change with years and tranny types ... if it has a different TB, the junkyard will deem it incompatible even though it can be swapped from the original.

Oilpumps on '96s are slightly different (sensor mounting) ... but revised oilpumps have them, too.
            1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX
            Kitted. Lambos. Slammed. 18s. T3/04E. LSD. MSII. Zoom-Zoom-Psst.

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX
            Lowered. 18s. P5 FSDE. MP3 PCM.

Cardomain - Needs updating.

Comment

93-97 probe motors, in long block form(assembled motor, minus accs or electronics), are the same. Ive got a 93 atx motor in my 93 mtx, the only thing not used was a sensor on the intake
              MMX BEST ROLLIN WERCK
              1991 accord wagon..20's, ear bleeding system..storm trooper style /08 CRV black/tan sunroof...stock /1965 thunderbird landau/

Comment

bobbo

Comment

so i take it that the gt tranny will fit on the 2.0,i think the ze tranny has lsd already built in them,so do i assume correctly?
                  "SOLD"11/13 regrinds,01 p&p Protege IM,SSautochrome Headers,2.5 High-Flow Exhaust,Magnaflow Muffler,X-Tune Wires,Ngk Plugs,Grounding Kit,Blaster2 Coil,CAI,Esr Performance UDP,Civic Sts,626 Sway Bar,ProCarParts FSTB&RSTB,3Gauge Pillar,Speed Hut Overlays,Autometer Gauges,Camaro Scoop,Hid Conversion,16Rim'SOLD"

Comment

v6 tranny?

Now THAT'S one I'd like to know,hymen. Anything to get more axccel/top end...

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

the KL and FS have COMPLETELY diff bolt patterns when it comes to trannys. (also) the GT's do not come with limited-slip.... they still one-wheel wonder like none other....
                      old 95 Probe se
                      OLD 94 GT
                      NEW DSM BABY!!!

Comment

I thought the ze tranny came with lsd,but i guess im wrong

"EDIT" I was right they do have a lsd built in them

"These are the rarest of all Mazda K series transmissions - The factory option LSD 5 speed short gear manual transmission was only availabe in Japan, and never in North America. This is the ultimate transmission for your KL or KLZE equipped Mazda car"

"This transmission will fit all 1993-1997 Ford Probe GT, Mazda MX-6 or Mazda 626 vehicles. We have tested and guaranteed transmissions available for both manual and automatic transmission equipped cars"1-800-839-4536 for more information
                        Last edited by Hymen1; July 23, 2007, 01:00 PM.
                        "SOLD"11/13 regrinds,01 p&p Protege IM,SSautochrome Headers,2.5 High-Flow Exhaust,Magnaflow Muffler,X-Tune Wires,Ngk Plugs,Grounding Kit,Blaster2 Coil,CAI,Esr Performance UDP,Civic Sts,626 Sway Bar,ProCarParts FSTB&RSTB,3Gauge Pillar,Speed Hut Overlays,Autometer Gauges,Camaro Scoop,Hid Conversion,16Rim'SOLD"

Comment

okay sorry on last comment didnt think about the ze trans. but seriously.. have fun findin one of those around here...
                          old 95 Probe se
                          OLD 94 GT
                          NEW DSM BABY!!!

Comment

anyone know if this will fit a 1993 ford probe se 2.0L. sorry but looking for a cheap PCM and figured this 1995 will work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-COMPU...575a0d&vxp=mtr

ack sorry. thought this was for PCM replacements. can't delete post
                            Last edited by Tasp; October 24, 2014, 05:17 PM. Reason: thought this was regarding PCM replacements

Comment

I have a 94 2.0 base probe and I was wanting some information on if I swap a klze motor in it what transmission would I need to get for that

Comment

Working...
                              X