Klicking/klonking noise in the front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klicking/klonking noise in the front

I have a noise that comes from the front that drives me crazy wondering what it is and why.
    When I put it in reverse, let go of the clutch and the car is just about to start to go there is a sort of a clunk or klicking noise.
    When I put it in forward after having backed the car a couple of meters the noise comes back.
    It's only in the beginning before the drive goes in that it does it.
    When I go through all the gears after it has initaially has gone forward the noise isn't there.
    If I haven't driven the car in reverse before it's not there either.
    I have to go in reverse first for the noise to appear.
    In short: Go reverse (noise) put it in first gear (noise), second gear (no noise) and so on.
    Go first gear (no prior reverse) no noise), second gear (no noise) and so on.
    The car is a 1994, 2.0L, 2:nd gen., manual gearbox, standard engine and gearbox, no modifications.

Anyone whom might have a clue ?

Shift fork
    BLACK 95PSE- on jack stands waiting for something special

DAILY: BLACK MICA PROTEGE5: FORGED,SQUIRTED, AND HOLSET POWERED!!!

Comment

I've had the same issue since i've owned my Probe aswell. I have no idea what it is and have checked myself & had numerous shops check aswell & they have no idea. It sorta sounds like it's comming from a front end part, but everything is fine. I've read and found that lot's of people have the same issue but no idea what it is either. If you do figure it out make sure & post on here so I can fix mine too. I'll do some more reading to try & find out what it could be. -Scott
      Of All The Things I've Lost I Miss My Mind The Most -Ozzy Osbourne

Comment

Originally posted by 95base... View Post
        Shift fork
        I guess that when you say shift fork you mean the clutch fork ?

Comment

Originally posted by bolial View Post
          I've had the same issue since i've owned my Probe aswell. I have no idea what it is and have checked myself & had numerous shops check aswell & they have no idea. It sorta sounds like it's comming from a front end part, but everything is fine. I've read and found that lot's of people have the same issue but no idea what it is either. If you do figure it out make sure & post on here so I can fix mine too. I'll do some more reading to try & find out what it could be. -Scott
          Does it sound high in the noise range ?
          What I mean is that the sound is a clear metallic sound and sounds like it's coming from the driveshaft area on the drivers side.
          Mine does it if I park the car (driven forward in to the parking space) and then push it backwards with the engine turned off and the first gear is in as well, does yours ?

I have moreor less always had that sound but the last two weeks it's been getting louder and really noticeable.

Comment

The sound is like a dull klunk sort of like what it sounds like when you have a very bad balljoint or another front end part. It also only does it when i am first starting to move the same exact way you explain aswell.
            Of All The Things I've Lost I Miss My Mind The Most -Ozzy Osbourne

Comment

Sounds like the throw out bearing is on it's last leg.

Comment

Well...
                I tore the thing a part last two days and in my case it was actually the cv joint that had some play in it.
                I knew that it wasn't something with the balljoints since they are new and the car went through the swedish m.o.t 2 weeks ago and they were tight.
                I also knew that the tie rod's and everything else was ok because they were changed at the same time as the control arms.
                The play in the cv joint wasn't noticeable when you had the driveshaft in your hand but when we put it in an vice and then turned it it showed.
                Changed the driveshaft for a new one and the noise is gone.
                It was actually a bit of play in both the inner and the outer cv joints and those two combined made the noise quite loud.
                If it had only been in one of the joints the noise might have gone by unconsidered but with both of them it was to loud to even ignore and especially since it was a sort of grinding, klicking, high ticked sound but as I said, only at first torque or load on the driveshaft because after that it was gone until you changed the direction of the car again eg. going in reverse.
                I have gotten quite a lot of feedback from Mark at fordprobestore UK so cudos to him.
                I hope this helps someone out with their sounds.

Comment

Working...
                X