Fluffy material is coming from air vents-rodent got in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluffy material is coming from air vents-rodent got in

I would be grateful for some advice. For years I have been parking my 1993 Probe outside (we live close to the woods). A few months ago I noticed that a rodent (or rodents) made a nice nest with fluffy insulation material in the middle of the spare tire under the carpet. I cleaned the car and moved it inside a garage. Now after several months of keeping the car there, every time I drive the car and put on the vent blower (particularly when on max), the vent (particularly the one which blows onto the windshield) blows out this fine fluffy material which could have come from the insulation carpet in the trunk. I do not believe that there is still a rodent in the car, but I have no idea why it keeps blowing it out even after so much material came out. I guess the rodent built a nest somewhere in the ventilation system. How could that material have ended up in there? How can I clean the ventilation system? When I change the dial from the "window" to "floor" or "vent" , the fluffy material comes out from those openings as well, but the largest amount seems to come through the "window" vent. I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.

Gotta take apart the dash.
    Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

sorry, I have no idea how to do it. Would there be a good description anywhere? I do not want to damage anything. Thank you.

Comment

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701139117
        Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Excellent! Thank you very much for sending the link.

Comment

BEFORE you go thru all the effort to remove your dash, I would remove the pass side kick panel and the blower assembly and vacuum up, or blow out, as much as I could first. Best of luck!

Comment

My car was sitting in the previous owners carport and had a very similar problem, leave and debris would come out.

As I was striping the car to clean it, I had removed the dash and found that the blower/fan assembly was packed full of leaves, paper towels, and misc debris.

So check that. Most likely they made a little home in there.
              '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
              '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

hOd, Greg94PGT - Thank you for your recommendations. I must admit that after I looked at the link yellowrob sent me, I found that too complicated for me (I recall 20 years ago I removed the carburator from my moped, cleaned it, put it back, and ended up with 2 extra screws left..... So I think it would be a big undertaking for me. But I really appreciate your advice. Is there any other way to access the blower/fan assembly - without pulling out the dash first? Thanking you.

Comment

"Maybe" if you pull the glove box and crawl under the dash, but it would certainly be much more difficult if it was at all possible.
                  '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
                  '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

Thank you. I will try. I am wondering through what did the rodents get through to build a nest inside. It all looks hard plastic to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X